WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with D.J. on this one. I think we'll leave it open for any kind of Welch's you want to use. This will allow for a wide range of entries. Anything Welch's goes! [80%] Fewer rules = more possibilities. It might make judging more difficult, but what the hey, it's all for fun anyways! I can't wait to see what people are going to make!

Jim's probably going to show us all up again, since Welch's is his specialty. Call it his "advantage" for winning the last contest.

This is my first try at a Welch's wine myself. I've got some ideas, already. Something nonconventional, I think. :ib

Edit: You can document what you are doing on here, but you might be giving away secrets! As before, the winner will be required to provide their recipe and process.

Thanks, everyone! We're gathering a good bunch of wine makers already!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure JohnT will be entering. If I remember correctly, he is a huge fan of Welch's wine. :)

I am in for this one. I always have fun with Welches. Couple questions, Can we use the large ready to drink jugs of Welches juice or only frozen concentrate and can we use Welches jelly as an Fpack and to back sweeten? I plan on doing a 3 gallon batch of Welches White Grape and peach. Then hold back 2 gallon and sparkle it. I will submit a bottle of the still wine to here.

Last edited:
All Right!! going to get mine started this weekend. Lots of photos as I go along.

You're in, wineon4. Welcome aboard. The trash-talk should begin shortly. :hug

I made the rounds at the local grocery stores yesterday, and found some very interesting possibilities. This is going to be fun!

Edit: Just to clarify (pun intended), the only requirement is that 80% of your starting must must be Welch's juice---either juice from a jug or mixed concentrate, your choice. After that, you can add toe jams and pickle juice if you want to, it's up to you. Anything goes!

I'm keeping my process and recipe secret for a while, but I'll take lots of pics to post up in a few months.

Last edited:
We're shooting for shipping wines to the judges in May-ish.

Eveyone please take into consideration, now, that we will look at having three judges this time, so you'll be shipping out three packages (at about $25 a pop) in May. If you're in the contest, please budget that in.

We're shooting for shipping wines to the judges in May-ish.

Eveyone please take into consideration, now, that we will look at having three judges this time, so you'll be shipping out three packages (at about $25 a pop) in May. If you're in the contest, please budget that in.

Dave as a bystander, what if you could find two groups again like we did last time. I have to admit I would not nor could I afford to send out three different packages like that just for kudos. I think the Pittsburgh group is a good one as there is so many folks there and different ones show up all the time. If we don't have another group of at least three members, perhaps someone that belongs to a wine group would enjoy taking it on as a project. Just some thoughts, I respect all of your decisions.

That's true. We did actually end up with many more than two judges, after all. I really don't want to block anyone out just due to the cost of shipping. I was looking for a way to avoid tie votes.

You are wise, as always, Dan. We should just stick with two shippings and look for groups who can involve more people in the judging. You and Julie did an awesome job!

Hey guys, count me in on this one. I'll try not to get sick and ruin all my wines this time. :D

Dave, this is just a thought, wasn't sure if you wanted me as a judge this time or not and it is strictly up to you but I was thinking of holding a wine judging event at Luva Bellas. that is about the time of year a handful of us go to pick up some juices and if any of the contestants can come that would be great.

Dave, this is just a thought, wasn't sure if you wanted me as a judge this time or not and it is strictly up to you but I was thinking of holding a wine judging event at Luva Bellas. that is about the time of year a handful of us go to pick up some juices and if any of the contestants can come that would be great.

Julie, I love the idea of the competition at Luva Bellas. I would reconsider the invite to any contestants though. I have seen some people get pretty nasty and defensive when the wines they thought were great and they really were not up to par. Not just the contestant but their supportive spouse also. Please don't put yourself in this situation as it's not worth losing friends over something that is suppose to be fun. This is my own opinion and experience. One competition I judge allows people there and it happened a few years ago and there are people that refuse to judge there anymore.

Latest posts

Back