Winemaking just not meant to be for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wine makers worst nightmare. Sarah so sad to read this. Often I have thought about "A" broken carboy but not all.

5 gallon carboys filled are about 50 pounds. I have all mine except 2 three gallon carboys on a sturdy rack that I built on the floor with at least corrogated board under them. Some are on racks from the Depot but they are on the bottom shelf with 2x4's underneath for support.

PM me your address let me and a few others help you recover.

Don't rush rebuilding shelves. Think this out now that you have some experience. Maybe drawers hooks light hydraulic lift (don't laugh) all the little things that make wine making easier.

Again sad and sorry for your loss.

Sarah I so feel for you I know how it felt to get a 5 gallon busted I can't imagine how horrible you must feel but use it as a lesson it's a part of learning a very hard part but if you learn somethnig from it at least it won't all be in vain...oh if you have a sams club nearby you can get 4 gallon water bottles(plastic) filled with water for $4 they're made similar to the better bottle and they do fine for semi-long storage 6 months is fine in them that I know from experience, had a dark red wine and a blush in one and neither of them kept any residue or anythnig that I can tell. Our hearts go out to you really

Sarah....this is very sad...I just stared off into space for a couple minutes,trying to imagine your plight....it is such a bummer.My best wishes to you as you put things back together.

Sarah, I am so sad to read this, my first thought is you might give up...We have really enjoyed having you here and in the chat room...please stay with it and as a few other post said... pm me your address and lets get started on a NEW CARBOY FUND

Sorry about the loss, but glad you have it cleaned up. Some of the lessons we learn by seem a little harsh, but you have certainly provided a good lesson to all of us. Those tables just aren't built for that kind of weight, especially on one side. Hope you don't give up, but I can certainly understand the frustration.

No Carboys on the Ground

The act of lifting and setting carboys on the ground is a problem for me. I've started using cinder blocks for low storage of carboys. When racking from the bench I always put the carboy being filled on two side by side cinder blocks. Having them off the ground makes pickup so much easier and safer. I imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive storage table/work bench using cinder blocks and planks.

After hearing of your experience Sarah, I believe I'm going to add additonal support to my bench. I'm thinking the weight may be to great for the span. An additional center support should do the trick.

Hang in there,
Paul

I'll take that address for a carboy fund too!! gotta keep up on the number of women here... there are so few of us!!

Debbie

Tom: believe it or not, the CC was still in the primary (was going to put it in the carboy today) and sitting on the floor, still closed and other than being on top of all the glass, still intact (it didn't even tip over). I have a 3 gallon carboy that wasn't on the table that I am going to transfer it to once everything is cleaned up. (The only carboy I have left) We bought 4 sawhorses that we are going to put the tabletop onto. Each pair holds 1500 pounds so we figure with four of them holding up an 8 foot long tabletop, it should be well supported. The vacuum pump I bought from Wade also managed to survive!

Dan: We picked up a dehumidifier today as well (were thinking about getting one anyways). I didn't add bleach to the mop, but I did mop and wet vac the floor several times today, to the point where I wasn't picking up anymore dirt, so I think I got most of it up. Do you think I should still do the bleach as well? Once the floor is dry, I'm going to move everything over to the other side of the basement and mop the other side too (I'm sure there are wine-footprints all over the place).

Although some say not to use bleach I use a mild solution about one a month to clean the floor in the wine room and to clean up any spills.

My reasoning is that I bought a dog about 20 years ago (German Sheppard) and it turned out it had Parvo virus made a mess and died the first night. The vet recomended we go over everything in the house with bleach so our wiener dogs would not get infected if they were not already. Even had the carpet cleaning service use bleach on the carpets.

We had a male, a female, a 3 long hair pups and all turned out ok.

Last edited:
:try:trythe mark of a great person is their Rise From a great fall. You Go Girl!!

So the basement floor is almost dry. My husband bought me a new carboy and a Grand Cru Varipocella kit to get started with again (I'm really looking forward to it, the kit has grape skins which I've never used before). I'm still trying to figure out how I want to support a new collection of carboys once I am able to start collecting them again. Next month they are going on sale at my LHBS, I've checked craigslist and haven't seen too much yet, but I'm going to keep looking there too. I'm also hoping to get a Peach Strawberry started next month. So far the Sauv Blanc and candy cane that survived are still looking good. (the BB that the Sauv Blanc was in sprung a leak, so I also had to pick up a 5 gallon carboy too on Sunday) Thanks again everyone!

I feel for ya. In fact I've been there.

The first year I ever made wine (don't ask me the year!) I made 25 gallons (5 x 5gal carboys).

What fun I had, Crushing the grapes, maceration, then pressing! I remember thinking "too bad I can only get good winegrapes only once a year". I consoled myself that I made a whole 25 gallons.

After the winemaking was finished (until the next racking), I placed all 5 carboys onto a table (that I thought was steady) and promptly took my wife off to Mexico for a week of vacation.

When I returned, I noticed that the house smelled of wine. I decided to check the basement only to discover that the table had collapsed while we were away. Even worse is the fact that the basement had a dry well so there was really nothing left by dried up galss shards.

My shock and utter disbelief was unspeakable. Then I began to think about having to wait another WHOLE YEAR to make wine again.

but, through disaster comes opportunity...

ever since, whenever I needed a new piece of winemaking equipment, and my wife complains about the cost, I just bring up that year where missed out on wine because I had taken her to Mexico (re-evoking the guilt).

What can I say, It's a Catholic thing....

johnT.

Although some say not to use bleach I use a mild solution about one a month to clean the floor in the wine room and to clean up any spills.

Hey Boyd,

These are just some thoughts I have, concerning bleach and wine making. Using bleach is working for you, but you never know when your luck may change.

Recently I read that chlorine bleach is much better at bleaching than it is at actually sanitizing.

Just a suggestion as a possible alternative - as IBGLOWIN has suggested, consider using oxyclean, instead of bleach. Follow the oxyclean by spraying (misting) the floor with a solution of a good sanitizer like StarSan, a purely contact sanitizer. It wouldn't even have to be rinsed off the floor; just let it dry; I have never had it get sticky.

A solution of StarSan works really well; I use it on my hands before I do any wine making activity and also use it to sanitize things like stirring rods, spoons, cups, hydrometer, wine thief, ..etc. Things that are easy to spray.

For spills, spray the spot with StarSan and wipe with a clean paper towel. (I keep two spray bottles handy - 1 with a solution of KMeta and one with a solution of StarSan.)

This alternative should leave your floor clean and well sanitized, without the threat chlorine bleach can bring to a wine making environment.

If you do decide to continue with the chlorine bleach, make sure you rinse it really, really well.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would be sick myself, not just the money but the time and effort put in. I'm glad that I have an engineering background and carpentry skills as well. I was short on money at the time so I made a bench from 2x4s and an oak plywood top with storage below for carboys and equipment, which I've now outgrown. I have since made two wine racks and another bench for empty bottle storage and room for more carboys on top. My first bench has 6 carboys on and 3 one gallon jugs. My wife is always telling me I over engineer everything I do but your news make me happy I do what I do. No problem yet! I always worry when I am racking from my primary to a carboy on our kitchen table, which is a pedestal and the primary causes the table to sag in the direction of the primary. Has not failed yet but your bad news will make me more cautious. The only damage I have had is the marks the glass carboys make in the top when I move/roll around when full for racking. I have since put a buffer between the carboys and the table and gained back the weight I lost from the butt chewing my wife gave me. You know how antique lovers are. Keep your chin up and you will learn from this lesson.

Thanks rob as I know Sarah wants to relive this again. :):):)

maybe we should make it a sticky.

Let the mopping jokes begin............oh wait.........I think RunningWolf took care of that!

Thanks rob as I know Sarah wants to relive this again. :):):)

maybe we should make it a sticky.

lol, well of course we should make this a sticky, nothing like letting Sarah know she screwed up everytime she signs on, :tz

:( :( :( :(

Somewhere other people can post their screw-ups too? I know, you want to do it so that maybe I would feel as terrible as I already do! :a1 Maybe?

Sarah, you need to put up one of those work safety signs.
Accident free for. …
ONE WEEK!

Latest posts

Back