Winemaking just not meant to be for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason we need to keep this alive is!
People need to study history as people who dont study history are bound to repeat it!!!!!

Wow, I just read this thread for the first time. I'm going home at lunch to make sure my table is sturdy enough.:f1

Will it hold?

So here is what kept me busy tonight. There are 14 cinderblocks, with 4 doors (4 of them, pine I think, they were left here by the old owners of the house, 2 feet wide) along with the left over countertop (laminate) from when we just re-did our kitchen. Does this look sturdy? What do you all think? It seems pretty stable to me.

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

I found these funiture dollies are the greatest thing in my basement. I place either boards or heavy plywood on them. They can each hold three carboys and it makes it real easy to move them around or get them out of the way. I also use them when I am bottling. I just fill empty boxes on them, then a few days later wheel them to the wine cellar racks. They cost less then $20.00 on sale at Harbor Freight.

furnituredollie.jpg

I'm glad you didn't say Northern Tool. They laid me off last summer. LOL

The extra layers of door will likely cause more problems than a single door or counter-top, unless they are glued/nailed to each other.

That being said, it looks solid, but you're not really gaining anything by stacking the doors on eachother. :)

The extra layers of door will likely cause more problems than a single door or counter-top, unless they are glued/nailed to each other.

That being said, it looks solid, but you're not really gaining anything by stacking the doors on eachother. :)

Maybe, Maybe not, but it'll make the table about 6 inches higher. :)

I didn't secure them to eachother, I thought that the weight on the table would help prevent them from sliding around.

Sarah I think the blocks and counter top is a good idea. I think the four doors are overkill and might not be a good idea. Doors layerd on top of each other can be very slippery.

When I read of your disaster, Sarah, my heart just sank. What a huge loss! Gotta say, though, that I truly admire your ability to bounce back. :spm

Sarah I think the blocks and counter top is a good idea. I think the four doors are overkill and might not be a good idea. Doors layerd on top of each other can be very slippery.

At this point, I'd rather have overkill than the alternative after my experiences. :) I'll go and get some long screws or nails tomorrow to secure them together so they won't slip. I put the doors there more to elevate it higher than for strength anyways so that I could bottle from that table. I suppose I could use the vacuum pump to transfer it to another carboy on my higher table to bottle if I needed to.

Sarah I understand what you're trying to accomplish. I just wanted to give you another safety tip. I would get a long drill to drill a hole first and then use long screws. Your hardware can match the drill and screws up for you. Don't let them talk you into an expensive drill bit as you'll only need a cheap one to do this.

As long as it's sturdy go for it. My worry is it being unstable or slippery smooth and the carboy could be easily bumped. Never know, a dog, cat or husband bumping the end causing it to tip over.

I know you are rebuilding and this is temporary but don't want to hear it happen again.

Steve, your right the counter top could be slippery if wet. I also had a table like that and what I did was I got a roll of drawer liner at Wally World. It's a spongy material you use to keep everything from sliding around. I used it in my chest that holds my lab equipment also.

Thanks everyone! What I might do is take away one or two of the doors, so it still has some height but without so many layers. I'll run down the street to the hardware store and pick up 8 or so screws to secure all the layers together. (we have PLENTY of drill bits lying around, so I'm sure I'll be able to find the right size). The grip material is a good idea too, I hadn't thought about that. I was also using the countertop because it would be easier to clean as well as being stronger than plywood. I probably won't put grip over the entire surface, but maybe cut some smaller pieces to put under the individual carboys. I moved my whole wine-making setup to the other side of the basement (now it's away from the windows and furnace) in a cooler, darker corner. When all is said and done, I think everything will definitely be better set up than before.......looking forward to things to come! Although the cold raspberry lime skeeter pee definitely would have gone down really well these past few days! :-(

Sarah individual pieces is a excellent idea. I rolled out the roll the length of the table and what a pain when you had a spill. I had to move all the carboys. The stuff is easy to clean also as all you have to do is rinse it under a faucet.

Enventually I would build a bench using 4x4's as legs and 2x4 framing. You can make it so that pre cut counter top will fit for easy cleaning or you can mount formica to it at a later time. The total cost to build a bench shouldn't be that great and you can customize it so you have underneath storage.

The other option would be to pick up some inexpensive cabinets from lowes or Home Depot and add a counter top to them. Just make sure you anchor them to the wall. You may even be able to find some free cabinets if you ask around to some contractors or check craigslist.

Just tossing out ideas.

Enventually I would build a bench using 4x4's as legs and 2x4 framing. You can make it so that pre cut counter top will fit for easy cleaning or you can mount formica to it at a later time. The total cost to build a bench shouldn't be that great and you can customize it so you have underneath storage.

The other option would be to pick up some inexpensive cabinets from lowes or Home Depot and add a counter top to them. Just make sure you anchor them to the wall. You may even be able to find some free cabinets if you ask around to some contractors or check craigslist.

Just tossing out ideas.

The counter pictured in my album is an 8' countertop on top of a 2x4 stand. I used 6 legs and added cross pieces in the framework.

I can jump up/down on top of it without concern. I'm not short or skinny ;-)

Latest posts

Back