When botteling can I use???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
a cork in a screw cap bottle? I have many in my cold storage and hope I can use them. Thanks

I would NOT. Reason is the neck is thinner than a reg wine bottle. When compressing the cork and pushing it in there is a GREAT chance the neck will break.

Why take the chance. You can reall hurt yourself and make a big mess.

I know one guy who did it who will never have full mobility of his hand due to this. he has had multiple surgeries to reattach his severed tendon.

I know one guy who did it who will never have full mobility of his hand due to this. he has had multiple surgeries to reattach his severed tendon.

Outch don't worry you convinced me!

Wade don't one of our suppliers sell screw cap's for these bottles

They sell screw caps but the problem is that most wont actually fit as there are diffeent thread bottles.

oh well I'll just ask all my relitives to keep their bottles for me. My parents already have about 20 or something.

I used to get cases from the Church every month or so as the wine they use comes in the screw tops. I guess I have been lucky but never had a problem with them. Have pitched all my unused bottles to be recycle after reading the recomendations from the forum. As I carefully open the wines I have bottled, I am tossing the emptys.
Wonder if I can convince them to order the wines that have corks in them, Nah, don't think so!!!
Al

I used to get cases from the Church every month or so as the wine they use comes in the screw tops. I guess I have been lucky but never had a problem with them. Have pitched all my unused bottles to be recycle after reading the recomendations from the forum. As I carefully open the wines I have bottled, I am tossing the emptys.
Wonder if I can convince them to order the wines that have corks in them, Nah, don't think so!!!
Al

That's a good move, Al. Don't take anymore chances. If you ask enough friends and family, you will end up with more cork bottles than you can handle. I take all the bottles I can get; I give away to other wine makers what I can't use. That being said, right now I am short on burgundy bottles.

I bottle most of my wine in screw cap bottles, except the ones' I'm going to ship. E.C. Kraus has them, where I get my bottles most of them have a 28 mm cap, about 19% if them have a 30 mm cap. The 28 mm cost $3.35 for 12 and the 30 mm are $4.35. You can get either metal or plastic.

Semper Fi

Latest posts

Back