Filtering.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotjong

Junior
Reaction score
Making my first batch of Cap Sav 6 week kit by Cru.
the instructions that come with these kits are very basic .
it looks like all I need to do after the fermentation, rack it in a carboy let it sit stir once in a while and then its ready to bottle.
would it hurt to rack again to a clean carboy?
and the instructions does not mention filtering, should one filter the wine before botteling?

Rack to carboy, add potassium metabisulfite (aka Kmeta) at 3 month intervals. If clear, just add Kmeta at 3 months intervals. If time is given, the wine will clear on its own. Kmeta helps drop out sediment. Then there is no need to filter. Some do, but to do it right, takes some equipment, and experience. For your first batch I would practice patience and let the wine tell you what it needs.

rack it in a carboy let it sit stir once in a while and then its ready to bottle.
You make it sound like it’s a few weeks when it’s really a few quarters, as in 9-12 months.

Making my first batch of Cap Sav 6 week kit by Cru.
the instructions that come with these kits are very basic .
it looks like all I need to do after the fermentation, rack it in a carboy let it sit stir once in a while and then its ready to bottle.
would it hurt to rack again to a clean carboy?
and the instructions does not mention filtering, should one filter the wine before botteling?
Most folks here add at least 3 months to the kit time. There are a lot of changes that take place in the first 6 months as a wine develops. Some members have noted different flavors in bottles of early bottled batches. This is of course easier to accomplish if you have wine to drink. My first wines took forever to become drinkable, now I make a kit and the next thing I know it's been 4 months and I need to rack.

The only downside to racking again is that you will lose some wine to the sediment. You will need to top up with another wine to protect it from oxygenation. You always want a full carboy. Most people rack a day or two before bottling, so they don't have sediment in their bottles. no need to top up if not aging further.

Also worth noting is bottle shock. 2-4 weeks will allow the wine to mellow in the bottle. Initially transfering can shock the wine changing the flavor structure.

So far I am not a fan of filtering. Some do it for every wine. More do it just for white wines. I can't see a notable difference in the reds to warrant the effort or risk. I used a Buon Vino filter on one wine and it tainted it. Had to dump it. I have been successful with other systems, but it is still a bit of a production.

Latest posts

Back