Whats the oldest bottle in your rack ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some 5-7yr olds in controlled storage, but for the most part I consume or distribute mine from 6mo to 1yr.

My wife and I enjoy a bottle regularly.

CGI,
What do you call controlled storage
and
How regularly

A dark basement nook, racked. Temp holds a steady 67 with RH ~60. I wish it was slightly cooler but - at least - its rock steady in regards to fluctuations. I don't intend to keep my wines for long periods. Once they hit 6mo... they are pretty well set into our rotation to consume and give away.

Regularly = pretty much nightly. We are enjoying a bottle now!

LOL ! :h
I like your definition of regularly. Thats what we do here but 2-3 bottles a night. :b

Tom, I don't see anything wrong with 2 or 3 bottles anight as long as it is consistent. LOL
:b

I never thought we were the only ones... but glad to hear it!

:b

PS: Another bottle going right now... Ahh!

In the last 10 days or so I bottled 15 CASES. Now that means I have 90 something cases full NOT counting whats on my wine racks. LOL ! :b :h

Last edited:
In the last 10 days or so I bottled 15 CASES. Now that means I have 90 something cases full NOT counting whats on my wine racks. LOL ! :b :h

So... what will you do with all of it? Share?

Well we go thru 2-4 bottles a DAY here 7 days a week not counting the wine club I belong to and people who want to "donate" to taste my wine.
I'm guessing close to 2500 - 1900 full bottles in my cellar now
I have 15 carboys fermenting/aging now thats not counted......:b

Ha Madriver did you get your name frome the river that run's a cross there.
i ask because for years i ran across there and in springfild there is a river named madriver
i crossed it every day on my way to oldwashington OH.

We have about 8 bottles left from various batches that are between 1 year and 18 months in the bottle.

We now wished we'd waited to drink them later rather than earlier as they got de LISH ous after the one year mark.

We made them from kits before we moved from Maine to Vermont. Some weren't labeled and we got mixed up on what varietal they are. We know that it'll be a Pinot Noir, or a Cab/Merlot. Or it'll be a Pinot Gris or a Gewürztraminer. We bottled the whites in green bottles so it's just hard to tell until we pour.

Tasting great though.

Even though I find it hard to believe now, I have about eight bottles of my blackberry that are starting to push five or six months. I thought they would never see it!
I still buy an occasional bottle for dinner and drink one or two of my others.
Another thing helping my wine age a bit is I have some other spirits to sample too. That's a big help in making my poor attempts at wine grow old.

My oldest bottle is 7 days old and it's the only one left out of 15..... must make more must make more:D

You drank it all already?????????? You need to make a lot more then 3 gallons then and need t make a lot more of everything. It never even had a chance to get a little age on it! :( You should try again and see what it tatses like with 2 years under the cork.

My oldest is a Blackberry I bottled in Oct 2008. That is the first wine I made. I started a library right from the beginning and keep one bottle of everything I make.

Well... this hurts, but it's the truth...
I bottled my first bottle of apple juice wine Friday night... in a 4 liter glass jug... put it in the fridge. It is still about half-full... still have a few gallons to bottle, but I'm afraid only a few bottles will survive the onslaught... this is GOOD stuff... a little bit fortified... :d

I'll update when I cork some for the new wine rack (milk crates turned on their side).
HB

You drank it all already?????????? You need to make a lot more then 3 gallons then and need t make a lot more of everything. It never even had a chance to get a little age on it! :( You should try again and see what it tatses like with 2 years under the cork.

Not the Port Wade, that's not bottled yet. This is my raspberry, everytime someone comes over I let them taste it and we end up drinking 2 bottles. I call my neighbors my test dummies and they say it's the best I've made so I'm gonna do a 6 gallon.
I think if I went through 15 bottles of chocolae strawberry port in 1 week it would take 2 weeks to recover :), that stuff will set you back in the chair if not careful.

Only 2 months for me on reds sadly white ia almost gone ...it was good too lol

Latest posts

Back