Beet Wine - My First Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, WH - glad to see that you are giving this a try, and would be interested in an outline of your recipe and method! I was just shooting in the dark when I did this...results were great, subject to the caveats that I have mentioned above. The main thing I would do in the future is to add acid blend, to see what effect it has.

Good luck, and please do keep us informed!

Ron

Thanks - will do. I did a ph test on the must and it was way too alkaline (6.83). I did add acid blend and citric and tartaric acid, too in addition to some lemon juice and zest. Got the ph down to 3.65 as of this morning.

Most of the recipes I saw called for cloves and I don't like cloves, so I added some cardamon and chopped ginger instead. If the wine tastes like the must - it should be excellent.

I'll do a write-up when I have some time, but I'm afraid it won't be nearly as detailed or well illustrated as yours.

I know this is an old thread but I’m just now getting ready to start a batch of beet wine. Did the acid blend work better? Any changes you would recommend? Thanks in advance for any input.

Yes, the acid blend and tartaric acid additions DID help. Mine is bulk aging now, so i haven't tasted it for a few months. But it was pretty damn good when it racked it last. Nice "beety" flavor, with a hint of the ginger & cardamon in the finish. It's not flat or flabby tasting. I did backsweeten some (Id have to look at my notes for the amount).

Latest posts

Back