What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my California Zinfandel made from a Luva Bella juice bucket and aged on French Oak. It is wonderful! Very Happy!

Well found out last night that the wine that was made for my nieces wedding will now be bottled in 375 ml bottles and used as favors instead of being placed behind the bar or on the tables. Only problem with that is they are anticipating 225-250 people and my wife convinced her that there should be a bottle per person. Great, but we only alotted 15 gallons for her wedding. Now I have to come up with another 10-15 gallons of wine. Looks like I'll be re-bottling some of my other wines for the cause. So much for my supply...

I'm such a good uncle.

Dirtydawg, you wouldn't happen to live in southwest Virginia would you?

Nope...I just look like a redneck...lol. <---JOKE!! I live in CT. I was actually told last night that I look like Larry The Cable Guy. I don't think it was a compliment...hahaha. That dude outweighs me by at least 100lbs.

Lol!!! The reason I asked was there is a restaurant in Gate City, Virginia called The Hob Nob. I thought you might have named one of your wines after that. Don't worry. I get stereotyped all the time for my tattooed and piercings. Lol

Ready to bottle. Will be bottling several batches I've had bulk aging for a while now.

Sitting in the TAM lounge at JFK headed to Sao Paulo Brazil on a redeye. Reading the forum and wishing I was home in my basement lab making one of my backed up kits!

Let's hope Brazil has better and more affordable wine than Bangkok and Singapore. Chile and Argentina aren't that far away, right? There has to be some decent red around!

We ended up getting a 1980-built, 2500 sqft, 3-story, 4-bdrm, 4-bath.. I'm in the daylight basement by myself with a bedroom, living room w/ nat-gas fireplace, slider+porch, & full bath.. The coolness down here is gonna make some killer whites, melomels & meads.

Just got a new $1200 darn-near-silent garage door, 450F water steam cleaned our carpets, plumbing fixed in my bathroom and the kitchen (sink shot water like a whirlie-bird, our Hot-Shot hot-water dispenser didnt work, fridge leaked all over the oak hardwoods).. And spent so much time on the phone with Comcast that we just got 90 days of free HBO... Theres about 7 trees in the backyard, 3 taller than the house, that come down in a week or two

So busy & so tired... But one of these days, it'll be worth it :)
Thx for the congrats, been 15 years in the making

Gettin to know the Plumber, Gary, pretty well :)
Betcha he's coming back again..

So i'm hanging out, in the basement, watching tv... Oblivious.

All the sudden, sounds like my shower turned on... Not so much.
I walk in the furnace room, and water is just running down the wall.
My heart sunk, i scratched my head & walked up stairs.

Nothing on the first floor, alls calm.
Up another floor, i go.

And there's Mom, top of the stairs, with about 4ft of bubbles wrangled into the tub & she's wielding a dustpan & towel

Turns out, my brother (autistic) was taking a bath.& happened to find the brand new bottle of hand sanitizer on the counter - Bubbles! - & in goes the whole thing...

Not a part of it, not half of it... The whole thing.
So he's having a great time right? Water, bubbles, jets on full blast - any kids dream!

The bubbles start to rise, who knows how far they really got.
On flips the shower - all i heard was the water running, from the basement

(Insert shower curtain eduation here) <-- Wishful thinking..
He's never showered before, didnt like the water shooting at him - sensory thing

The bubbles keep rising, eventually overflowing the tub & the shower curtain was outside the tub, rising about halfway up the toilet & cabinets and finishing off by coming under the door and onto the carpet...

Anyone whos seen that amount of bubbles, knows how much water comes along with it
slap.gif

So i drag mom back downstairs after she's beat the bubbles into submission, to check out my new shower addition.. And just as she walks in the room, down the wall comes this little cluster of bubbles.

I lost it - i havent laughed so hard in a long time... What can ya do? It's my room, here's the water, there's the bubble - we know who the culprit is - and she gives me this look, written across her face, "How can you laugh right now?"

What else can ya do?

Come to find out, not only did it soak the furnace room, but it soaked probably 1/3 of my living room as the water came out from under the wall.... Right where i lined my full, aging carboys up on an old blanket my grandma made me - it was soaked, floor was soaked.. My new area rug, half soaked.. Almost got my computer / tv - was shy by about 1.5 ft.

So a towels been in the furnace room for three days now - ironically, at the base of the water heater.
Well the bathroom on the 3rd floor dried out.
The ceiling on the main story dried out
Got the wine moved, cleaned up, the blanket dried out
The area rugs fine
Walls fine, floors dry in living room
The wall in the furnace room dried out
But the floor.... The floor has yet to dry out.

So i did some investigating, and the reason i think the plumber is coming back for another visit is because now the hot water tank is leaking.

And i've gotta caulk that top-floor bathroom.... Along with the rest of the house :)

All i wanna do, is make a batch of wine :d

Last edited:
OMG Manley thanks for the laugh at your expense. Sorry to hear what happened and what a mess, I hope you have a dehumidifier or air conditioning to help dry everything out.
Your story reminds me of the time I tried regular dish washing soap (meant for the sink) in the dish washer. I came home to soap bubbles 3 feet high and it took forever to clean the remainder of the soap out of the dishwasher.

Manley, that is classic. All part of owning a new home. Agree with Dan, get a dehumidifier and lots of fans. Good luck drying everything out.

Oh, Dan, I remember when my older sister did the same thing when we were little.

Half day vacation today, going to surprise my 5 y/o at daycare and take her to the big pool today for a few hours. Gotta love being able to do that and seeing their excitement when they get a surprise.

Steaming Elderberries. First 5.5 lbs done, got right around 1/2 gallon of juice steaming for 45 minutes on a medium flame. I also added my 3rd bottle of lemon and the remaining nutrient to the latest batch of Skeeter Pee. I'm figuring on transferring to carboy probably next weekend.

racking black cherry/pom wine, labeling Moscato and putting together a batch of peach:)

Was mowing this morning until the rain stopped me. :'( Will be racking my Zombie Spit (quad berry) and my first batch of pee. Backsweetening the Zombie Spit as well.

Well be head to Butler this afternoon for the Jeep Invasion and then out to the fairgrounds on Sat & Sun for the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival. So hoping the rain comes and goes before the Invasion today.

Back