What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting to hear back on 5 carboys. I got a response with confirmation of price now waiting to hear back to go pick up.

I pressed the Noble Muscadine today. They yielded 24 gallons of juice. This afternoon we will either go to Reillys Farm for a pumkin patch or take Andrea Mini Golfing. Time and weather will tell. Can't do either until adter 2:00.

Well, last night I racked and filtered and got my three kits ready to bottle.

bf30c356.jpg

Today I finished my planters for the deck, six coats of poly should do it. They are ready for some vines.

0d3b201d.jpg

f950a941.jpg

Well all looks good, I'll be picking up 5 more carboys this afternoon around lunchtime. I think I've officially reached capacity and may actualy have to admit that the quantity in carboys may be overboard considering we are thinking of heading to Presque Isle winery next saturday to pick up some catawba juice.

On a side note, will an oak spiral that fit into a gallon jug, come back out when it dries or do I need to reserve this jug for only wine I want oak in? I may just have to toss it. Time will tell.

Very nice. I like your labels and can't imagine the time it took to make each one different. Good job!!

If you have the right stuff to do it with Text is easy to put on labels Dan

In fact if you got a label you'd like different text on just let me know I can do it for ya really easy just need the main image to work with.

Well all looks good, I'll be picking up 5 more carboys this afternoon around lunchtime. I think I've officially reached capacity and may actualy have to admit that the quantity in carboys may be overboard considering we are thinking of heading to Presque Isle winery next saturday to pick up some catawba juice.

On a side note, will an oak spiral that fit into a gallon jug, come back out when it dries or do I need to reserve this jug for only wine I want oak in? I may just have to toss it. Time will tell.

you can always split it down the middle you know

I ran out of room in my ferm chamber so I'm making some carboy covers so the carboys can be protected in our room. Hobey/addiction is taking over the house. I can fit 9 carboys in the freezer/ferm chamber in the garage and i have room for 2 to 3 more in the bed room. plus i have about 1o one gallon batches.

Lon is always so helpful. ==> http://skeeterpee.com/?page_id=119

I have
42 gallons of Alicante
6 gallons of fresh pear
10 of elderberry
10 of elderberry skeeter pee
4 of thompson
2 Rhubarb
3 lilac
2 straw berry banana
1 concord

Fired up the smoke house aroun 9:30 this morning got about 90 pounds of sausage hanging in there going to put thrity pounds of jerky in the dehydrator a little later

Odd yeast formations

Wow, some of you guys are really into this in a big way!

I'm fairly new to winemaking (about a month) but am enjoying and also enjoying reading about everyone's experiences.

Haven't done much today except swirl my first and second batches after I added finings yesterday.

Also noticed strange groups of yeasty fermentation on the top of the latest kit wine (started it yesterday). It looked like mould rather than the frothy top the others got. The others are blackberry, kit cabernet and elderberry. The latest is a kit medium red.

Is this mouldy looking stuff normal?

Wow, some of you guys are really into this in a big way!

Well, I just finished cleaning the newly acquired carboys and decided to do in inventory. Did I mention I picked up 10 cases of empty bottles today? Don't think so. Anywho, I started into wine making just about exactly 2 years ago this month. Here is my current inventory of glass:

• 1-7 gallon glass
  • 2-6 gallon glass
  • 4-3 gallon glass
  • 2-5 gallon better bottle
  • 19-5 gallon glass
  • 10 to 12 1 gallon glass
  • 4-1/2 gallon glass

Not to shabby for 2 years. I know that probably pales in comparison to some but I was quite impressed and overwhelmed at the same time.

So I got into a bottling frenzy today........ended up bottling 5 of my one gallon experimental batches...........some of them I wish I had more of......some I wish I had less of! :) Also bottled my elderberry skeeter and skittle.

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, actually the 5 one gallon batches (in the small bottles) and 5 gallons each of Skittle and Elderberry Skeeter.

Rick the barrels look great. I also like your crates you made for the carboys. A fellow came in for some juice the other day with ones just like yours.

Sarah, congratulations they look great. Keep them off the farm table. LOL

Rick the barrels look great. I also like your crates you made for the carboys. A fellow came in for some juice the other day with ones just like yours.

Sarah, congratulations they look great. Keep them off the farm table. LOL

I bought some carboys not long ago with a similar crate around them. Nicew protection fr the carboys.

Back