What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got up early (4:45 am) to take a shower and drive my daughter to work. Hit the Giant on the way back for Saturday morning bargains, then the Weis in East Berlin. Sirloin pork rib roast for $1.29/lb, 1/2 turkey bone in breast $1.29/lb, chicken wings $0.49/lb, cryovac corn beef brisket, 50% off, thin sliced sirloin beef for steak sandwiches $3.99/lb, London broil buy one get one free. Almost didn't have room in the fridge, I love after holiday meat sales!

After getting a haircut, filling the propane (should have done it in the reverse order), started a batch of what turned out to be American Pale Ale (got more grain than the English bitter recipe, brain fart I guess). Cooking it now out in the garage, only problem is that the water lines to my immersion wort chiller keep freezing up. Might have to perch it up on some bricks and let the wind and 15*F temps cool it down. Guess there aren't too many rouge wild yeasties floating around in the wind today. Planning on cheese steak sandwiches tonight, too cold to be grilling in the wind. I'll do the chicken wings tomorrow, supposed to be calm and 22*F, a heat wave!

1-6-18_beer-making.jpg

Edit: 2 1/2 hours of "natural" cooling and the wort is only down to 120*F, at the bottom of the pot. So if you ever get stuck in the middle of nowhere on a cold winters night, make sure you have a hot pot of wort in the trunk of your car to help keep you warm.

Last edited:
Getting my geek on. My oldest and I decided a while back that we should build a PC. So over a few months, we acquired parts, the last of which arrived last week. Over the weekend we started assembling everything and finished that up on Monday night. With only one hiccup (didn't plug in power to the CPU), we were ready to install Windows 10 (we can get it free for students in the county schools). Got Windows done on Tuesday and have been playing a little each night. Son had a wireless mouse and I let him borrow a keyboard I have and use with a not-too-often-used computer. I raided other areas to pull a rarely used, small flat screen TV for a monitor. But my son really wanted a 'gaming' keyboard. Well, I found a setup on WalMart's web site that included a keyboard, mouse, mouse pad and headset. Originally $199, this was a Black Friday special for $99. They now have it for $89 and were offering another $40 off if you bought online and picked up in store. Fortunately, our local had a couple in stock. So I got $200 worth or peripherals for $50. I'm not sure if I'm happier or my son is.

PS: building a PC was fun, and much easier than I thought it would be.

PS: building a PC was fun, and much easier than I thought it would be.
I remember building two a few years ago (probably 8 or 9) with my oldest Son. Good learning experience for me, oh, I meant him...

A true screen shot of some fun weather coming our way (can't get the screen capture function to work with private browsing mode). I live at the lake just to the left of the cursor in the middle of the screen. Under a warning for 60 mph winds and up to 3/4 inch hail. Doesn't look all that bad on the radar shot, but it is winter (and I did hear some thunder in the distance when I went out to make sure my car windows were in the "up" position). Was 66*F when I left work today. Supposed to be in the mid 30's and dropping throughout the day tomorrow with a 20 mph wind to encourage me to make a batch of beer rather quickly. Expect it to be around 10*F on Sunday morning, yikes, so much for smoking some ribs on the Weber.

1-12-18_rain.jpg

Last edited:
I remember building two a few years ago (probably 8 or 9) with my oldest Son. Good learning experience for me, oh, I meant him...

A true screen shot of some fun weather coming our way (can't get the screen capture function to work with private browsing mode). I live at the lake just to the left of the cursor in the middle of the screen. Under a warning for 60 mph winds and up to 3/4 inch hail. Doesn't look all that bad on the radar shot, but it is winter (and I did hear some thunder in the distance when I went out to make sure my car window were in the "up" position). Was 66*F when I left work today. Supposed to be in the mid 30's and dropping throughout the day tomorrow with a 20 mph wind to encourage me to make a batch of beer rather quickly. Expect it to be around 10*F on Sunday morning, yikes, so much for smoking some ribs on the Weber.

Started pouring here about 3 minutes ago - out of nowhere. A few hours ago, my son and I were out in the yard throwing the baseball around in 70 degree weather. It was glorious. This morning, I went for a run in 65 degree weather. Also glorious. Sunday - a high of 29. :(

Craig: don't sweat the weather (pardon the pun). This is a great time to cold smoke some bacon.

Just watched the Philadelphia Eagles pull off a win with defense. Nicky Football did pretty well, but special teams dropped the ball a few times. Nice to see they have advanced past my early season expectations. Almost don't want them to win next week, worried they are due another embarrassing loss in the near future. Go figure, this will be the year they pull of a championship. It's been a long wait since 1960 (two years before I came into this world).

DId make a batch of beer today, a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone. Will be ready to tap if the Eagles do make it to the "big" game.

E-A-G-L-E-S...Eagles!

Just watched the Philadelphia Eagles pull off a win with defense. Nicky Football did pretty well, but special teams dropped the ball a few times. Nice to see they have advanced past my early season expectations. Almost don't want them to win next week, worried they are due another embarrassing loss in the near future. Go figure, this will be the year they pull of a championship. It's been a long wait since 1960 (two years before I came into this world).

DId make a batch of beer today, a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone. Will be ready to tap if the Eagles do make it to the "big" game.

E-A-G-L-E-S...Eagles!

How bout them Iggles??!!!
I never doubted them! Just kidding I wrote em off after Wentz went down. Like a true fan! Lol. Game 1 loss? They stink. Going 0-16. Game 1 win? 16-0 Super Bowl baby!
Championship Game! Let’s do this!

It is SO good to see someone write "Iggles"!!
Yeah, I didn't really expect them to win today. Not often the #1 seed is the underdog! But I am very pleased. Now, on to next week, see if they can scrap by another game...

Wasn't really clear to me -- How did the Giants fare this year? Usually @JohnT or @Boatboy24 will keep us filled in, but I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how the G-men did this year?

Yeah, I didn't really expect them to win today. Not often the #1 seed is the underdog! But I am very pleased. Now, on to next week, see if they can scrap by another game...

Wasn't really clear to me -- How did the Giants fare this year? Usually @JohnT or @Boatboy24 will keep us filled in, but I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how the G-men did this year?

They did better than almost anyone in securing a top draft pick.

At least the Patriots won.

I received my AIO on Monday. Yesterday I racked 9 carboys in probably under 2 hours including cleaning. Today I bottled 67 bottles. 5 of Amorosso, 6 Pinot Noir and a 2 gallon experimental blend of Syrah and a Red Blend That AIO is a wonderful addition to the winery. I have to agree with others I could kit myself in the butt for not getting it sooner.

Last edited:

My neighbor Jay is from Brooklyn. Normally there is a blow up NY Giant "doll", as I call it, set up on Sundays in front of his house. Can't say I saw it too much this year. We took his daughter to church this morning and upon eating lunch she asked when the Giants game was on today. I had to tell her that it's playoff time and the Giants didn't make the playoffs this year. She asked more questions and I gave her a few to ask her Dad about upon her return home...:)

I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow if I see him.

GO IGGLES!

I'll be curious to hear the explanation at work tomorrow of how the Steelers let down their end of the "all PA" Superbowl today.

Watching Planet Earth II on Netflix with my youngest. I thought the cinematography on the original was great. This is amazing. Not sure how they got this footage without snakebites, animal attacks, etc.

Watching Planet Earth II on Netflix with my youngest. I thought the cinematography on the original was great. This is amazing. Not sure how they got this footage without snakebites, animal attacks, etc.

I love this series! They do a great job. There’s a show, behind the scenes sort, where they have animated crocodile cameras to get amongst the crocs, animated penguins in the penguin colonies, etc. Amazing work, thousands of man hours spent for short but incredible footage.

Back