What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the whole family is excited. Enjoy your time together!
When we came home (we made a little better time than we expected), my daughter saw my car (school let out early today, so they were all home) and I wish I could have had a picture of her big grin as she almost wiped out running up the side of the yard from the neighbors house to meet the car.

I have already received my Christmas present for this year, and a priceless one at that!

Last edited:
Leaving in about half an hour to make the short (1.5 hour one way) trek to pick up my eldest Son at BWI, his flight is due in around 10:57 am this morning. Yikes, just checked and his flight just departed and they are expecting it to arrive at 10:38 am ... time to pack up and go get some gas, though I should wait to fill up, it's cheaper in Maryland. He'll have to return to Sheppard AFB New Years Day, so I nice lengthy stay that we are all excited about.

Well Merry Christmas to you and your family. Very nice present.

Sewer line blocked again - waiting for the plumber. Was hoping to wait until Spring to replace it, but it looks like it might be a belated Christmas gift instead. We are supposed to have 18 here for Christmas - looks like we might change venues to my sister's place.

@mainshipfred : I will probably call your friend for an estimate on Tuesday.

Sewer line blocked again - waiting for the plumber. Was hoping to wait until Spring to replace it, but it looks like it might be a belated Christmas gift instead. We are supposed to have 18 here for Christmas - looks like we might change venues to my sister's place.

@mainshipfred : I will probably call your friend for an estimate on Tuesday.
I guess a port-o-potty is out of the question? They have deluxe models now with heat. All kidding aside, I had Roto-rooter out once after a toilet flush made a geyser out of my washing machine drain tube, no fun, especially over the holidays. Hope all goes well and the estimate is palatable.

I guess a port-o-potty is out of the question? They have deluxe models now with heat. All kidding aside, I had Roto-rooter out once after a toilet flush made a geyser out of my washing machine drain tube, no fun, especially over the holidays. Hope all goes well and the estimate is palatable.

No Don's Johns for us. This has never been more meaningful though.

merry-christmas-shitter-was-full.jpg

Oh, jeez. That's terrible.

Just tell everyone to "hold it" until they get back to their own house -- problem solved!

Got all 4 of the 2016's racked today, in preparation for bottling in a few weeks. Tomorrow, I'll check pH and add SO2 as needed. All are tasting quite good.

Now doing something I haven't done in a long time - watch my Giants playing with a lead. Extra special that its against the Redskins. But they are hurting their position in the draft...

Last edited:
Dishwasher croaked last night, horrible grinding noise from the motor.
So off to lowes at 8am tday and got a new one. This one is much quieter and easier to service. The old one you needed a bunch of tools to disassemble the filter to clean it. New one just twists out, rinse, replace.20171231_151116.jpg

Sitting on the boat "work" waiting on a barge to finish discharging and waiting till Tuesday morning to get home and rack and bottle some beer and wine..

Just said goodbye to my Son after a 10 day stay, that was hard. Wifey driving him down to BWI to catch his flight this afternoon. May get lucky and see him in six months or so. Meanwhile I noticed it was rather quiet this morning when I got out of the shower. Upon further review I realized that the house fan had shut off. So I checked the settings to make sure it was on ON and not AUTO (I run it continuously), then found a tripped breaker for the inside part of the system. Had to reset it one more time about an hour later, and now am trying to figure out when the circuit is getting overloaded. Ran for a while on emergency heat, not problems. The system made it through a normal defrost cycle just fine. Not sure what's going on. Could be a breaker starting to go bad (50 amp). So left a message for a service call tomorrow, meanwhile I'll try a few things while I'm doing some wine racking and meal planning for tonight. Won't feel good until it is solved. Can't really go to work, if it trips after we leave in the morning, I'll have frozen pipes by the time I get home (was zero out this morning). Guess it has taken my mind off my son leaving, which is a good thing...I do miss him already!

Went to my shop yesterday to tweek some peach and bottle some Mosti Amarosso. When I got there my shop unit heater wasn't working. Thought it might be the thermocouple but couldn't find one that would work. Today I went to 2 Lowes and 3 Home Depots and finally found one I could make work. Waiting for the shop to heat up a little then maybe do my wine chores.

Went to my shop yesterday to tweek some peach and bottle some Mosti Amarosso. When I got there my shop unit heater wasn't working. Thought it might be the thermocouple but couldn't find one that would work. Today I went to 2 Lowes and 3 Home Depots and finally found one I could make work. Waiting for the shop to heat up a little then maybe do my wine chores.
I have a basement full of wine and some beer on tap, plus all the food you can eat if you want to come trouble shoot my issue!

Unintentional cold stabilizing, eh?

A bit of a sleepless night last night. Got my domestic chores done and am now hunkering down with the Winter Classic and perhaps a cat nap. Have a smallish (~5.2lb) bird to throw in the oven later. Was going to do it on the Performer, but the combo of a high temp of 20 and my lack of sleep have me feeling pretty lazy.

A bit of a sleepless night last night. Got my domestic chores done and am now hunkering down with the Winter Classic and perhaps a cat nap. Have a smallish (~5.2lb) bird to throw in the oven later. Was going to do it on the Performer, but the combo of a high temp of 20 and my lack of sleep have me feeling pretty lazy.
Toss your bird in a dutch oven and do 'er slow. That's what I'm about to do with a hunk 'o pork loin, center cut. Easy, very little "tending", quick clean up, juicy meat. I will wrap the loin in some bacon to glaze the meat with some nice smokey fat, ummm, pork fat!

I've racked six wines today, need to do a few more and maybe, finally, bottle the cheap apple wine. Will make for a nice aroma (the pork) while I'm AIO'ing a few more batches.

Toss your bird in a dutch oven and do 'er slow.

Never thought to do the bird in the DO. Started looking into it, and the few ideas that interested me will take 3-5 hours. I'm definitely going to save that for a time when I start earlier. Thanks for the suggestion. But I did do one thing I've not done before. Normally, I buy big birds (7+lbs) and break out the roasting pan and rack. Overkill for this one, so I'm using the CI skillet. A few carrots, celery and onion in the bottom to keep the bird off out of the juices, a little Stubbs chicken rub and we were off to the races. House smells great.

Never thought to do the bird in the DO. Started looking into it, and the few ideas that interested me will take 3-5 hours. I'm definitely going to save that for a time when I start earlier. Thanks for the suggestion. But I did do one thing I've not done before. Normally, I buy big birds (7+lbs) and break out the roasting pan and rack. Overkill for this one, so I'm using the CI skillet. A few carrots, celery and onion in the bottom to keep the bird off out of the juices, a little Stubbs chicken rub and we were off to the races. House smells great.
The size bird you have is textbook size for a beer can chicken. I've done those in the crockpot too, though there are no crispy goodies if you do it that way. I think you could have pushed the limits and got it done in the DO in 2 1/2 hours, I've done it and it has turned out really well. The larger 8 lbs or so birds seem to take 3 to 3 1/2 hours, but not at a really low temperature. Beef and pork seem to benefit more with the lower cooking temperatures. Oh, almost forgot, chicken parm in a covered DO is just to die for, so tender you can "cut" it with a fork.

Back