What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runningwolf said:
This is outside of the winery I work at. I was delivering the barrels to someone who purchased them as they were used.

That's awesome!!! I wish I would've realized that I love wine and winemaking before my wife started popping kids out like Ford Motor Co. does cars. Lol. I would love to work at one. I love tending my vines. I love making batches of skeeter pee. I also love reaping the benefits of all the work. Maybe it can be a retirement job.

Spent the afternoon at Bluemont vineyard here in VA. Our friend's jazz quartet was playing there. Doesnt get much better - live music, good wine and gorgeous weather made for a very nice afternoon out on their patio.

Never Forget!

Never Will!

On a lighter note.. It's a 'go' on the 150lbs of Riesling grapes, in mid-october.
Talked to the guy and he said they're aiming for a late harvest / high brix yield - should be fun.. Havent asked if he has a destemmer/crusher/press i could use, but i probably should :)

Thinking of taking some of the riesling skins, and tossing them in with my blackberries - i made a "full bodied" blackberry last year.. If i could make this one a little more delicate / maybe a rose... Just trying to think if there'd be any downsides to adding the skins or not - any thoughts?

Washed another 80 bottles. Ready to bottle my first batch. It was a slow mover, but it's finally ready!! :D My new batch is cooking away!! Those strawberries are a little messier than the quad berry blend. They are breaking down faster as well.

So looking forward to winter for the first time in my life!! I'm a warm weather person. I love being outside! But, this year has just about killed me!! Between work and overtime, keeping up with 10 yards besides my own, the wife and kids, softball, and now my new love for wine making, I'm just about out of energy. I need a break!!!! Lol. Most of this is self imposed so I'm not looking for any pity. Just needed vent a little. Thank you for your time!!! Now back to the regularly scheduled posts!

It's always nice to get a favorable review on your creation. I got the following on my first batch of Skeeter Pee:

Bill! Are you ready for our Skeeter Pee review? From Tom: "LOVE me some Skeeter Pee!" And from our daughter Jamie who just came home for a visit: "Do we have any more Skeeter Pee?" And from our neighbors (who didn't have the pleasure of tasting it): "Squiterpi? How do you spell that? we are not familiar with that grape-growing region. Let us look it up in our wine encyclopedia" And more from ... Tom: "It's crisp, it's sweet, it's too drinkable for your own good. Its perfect balance of tart and sweet will leave you wanting more. Fun, light, and a perfect pairing with fresh Alaskan-caught salmon (or anything else!) You'll love it as an apertif, with dinner, or after dinner! Anytime is a good time for Skeeter Pee!"

Working hard to keep my 12 year old pickup truck running. You know your truck is old when your sledge hammer is your bestest tool! I'm sweating over my mechanical duties right next to several hundred bottles (stacked in the garage) that need cleaned and de-labelled so I can bottle the 25 gallons of wine in the Lab.

I can hardly say it..."I wish I were scrubbing bottles!" :(

One more time...:(

Racked the peach and the CC Sterling Merlot this morning. Now off to soccer games. Taking the dear wife to a Cirque du Soleil matinee and dinner for her birthday later on.

I had a BLAST today as I worked with our Boyscouts making a trebuchet for a pumpkin chunker !! We still have some more work, but here is what we got done today.

101_3790 [Desktop Resolution] [450x600].JPG

Actually yesterday at this point, but we made our first trip to Fulkerson Winery in Dundee NY to pick up 18 gallons of Diamond juice.:db

Hey Rod how did you like them? How are they compared to Walkers? Are they
closer for you?
They are about 15 minutes closer than Walkers but their price for Diamond was $2.00 a gallon less so that basically paid for the gas for the trip.
They have a beautiful place, large tasting room, and a gift shop. The juice part reminds me of where we picked up our juice at Luva Bella except where you walk into the cooler at Luva they have about 8 hoses. Also unlike Walkers you have to call ahead and reserve your juice. I called on Thursday to reserve it and the guy that filled my pails said they closed their resavations for Diamond on Friday.

Just got back from taking my Mom's stuff & car (on trailer) to Corpus Cristi, TX from PA. My Tundra got about 10 mpg going down but got about 15 mpg coming back up. three days to get there and two days to get back. Had dinner at Japanese Hibachi and had sake with lychee. WOW! Need to make some lychee wine now. So I typed it into the computer to find out it's right here on this site. Also worked on my Fredonia, added 3 cups sugar (simple syrup) for a total of 7 cups of sugar into simple syrup. Racked the Fredonia into the syrup. Then added 5 cups sugar (simple syrup) into my Diamond. Racked Diamond into the syrup. Tomorrow I will try them to see if sweet enough then filter and bottle. lychee sake: takarasake.com

Last edited:
working in Bowling Green then to Cleveland then to Buffalo then home to the burg by Wednesday, with a hopeful stop in Erie for some juice.

Back