What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its going to be an icy cold "fun" day!! Just pulled 32 gallons of wine out of the freezer and immediatley racked. Now to go blow out the driveway (5"). Then after that go give a demonstration on pressing ice wine at 2 pm.

Some pictures from today.

This is the press I used for pressing the ice wine and then pumped the juice into the plastic tote in the building.

IMAG0253.jpg

It was rather cold today (22*) so most folks stood inside the winery and looked out. This was a good thing as the looked at the 23,000 gallons of wine and asked questions.

IMAG0251.jpg

This is an ice sculpture of an igloo. The girls giving out samples of ice wine would pour it on the top and it would run down a trough into the customer cup.

IMAG0249.jpg

And here I am getting my sample!

IMAG0250.jpg

Hey, was you on the job when you were sneaking that sample?????

You know Wade really needs to get me a smiley face with arms folded and foot tapping, I would use that a lot. :i

We got outbid on the house we liked. We've looked at several more and no luck so far. :/
I have a dislike of house hunting. At least in my county. We have a severe lack of affordable houses that are not death traps.

You need to go a little further north into PA.

I think we're going to start looking around Littlestown and Hanover soon. The only reason we're trying to stay in the same area we live now is because we both work in and for the county.

Dan that looks awesome!!! Julie, if you can find one Ill upload it! Looking around in there for awhile gets your head lost! I spent probably a few weeks finding the ones that are here now. It was very generic when I started here. I got an Iphone now and spent most of the day playing around gettinhg all my music in there and making ringtones of of my music. For some reason when ITunes imported all my music it lost a lot of info on probably 1000 songs. I fixed a lot but still have a lot more to fix!! :m

Dan you just get to have way too much fun there! How much juice did you press out? Vignoles? It doesn't look like you had to go pick the grapes to press!

Dan you just get to have way too much fun there! How much juice did you press out? Vignoles? It doesn't look like you had to go pick the grapes to press!

Rich with ice wine you get about 35 gallons per ton compared to 200 gallons per ton of regular grapes. These were Vidal grapes and they were harvested several weeks ago during the cold snap we had at 15*. We kept one bin set aside in the chiller for this event and pressed the rest immediately after picking. Yes I do enjoy my job!

Last edited:
We're back home and time to start some new wines. We had a wonderful cruise stopping in Key West and Nassau only to come home at 2:00 this morning to the ice & snow covered frozen tundra of Cincinnati. I think I need to take another vacation until April.

Having a heart attack over all my medical bills from Dec / Jan.

Hha Ha cant afford what I have either. One blood test 2200.00+

Did find I have a good ticker The stress and echo was 2300.00+ to find I am Ok till I see the bills...LOL

Thats good so now youll live long enough to pay those bills! Sorry, I just had to go there. Thank God my wife has great insurance or our bills would be insane. The shot I get in my back every 2 weeks costs over $1200 each time!!!!

Hha Ha cant afford what I have either. One blood test 2200.00+

Did find I have a good ticker The stress and echo was 2300.00+ to find I am Ok till I see the bills...LOL

The bills are about impossible to figure out but call the insurance company and ask them to review the claim. It doesn't hurt to ask. :mny

Last edited:
Impressive operation there Dan!
That's one very serious wine press.
Never tasted it but I bet the Ice Wine tastes exceptional.

I was a bit surprised with the yield, "35 gallons per ton compared to 200 gallons per ton of regular grapes", that makes for a lot of work per glass no doubt.

1) Am I correct in understanding that the ice wine is a harvest in addition to your regular (fall season) harvest?

2) So Vidal grapes = white wine, therefor no skins in the must, just juice?

Last edited:
Back