What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% chance of SNOW the whole darn day. Very slow moving storm to boot. :db

Winter Storm Warning till Tuesday at noon. Looks like I will get to fire up that new snow thrower I bought last Winter. Coming down hard and heavy ATM and blowing hard. I got the Xmas lights up late yesterday PM. Good thing as the roof had just cleared off from the last blast that hit on Saturday morning early.

Perhaps its a good day to bottle that LaBodega Port! :ib

I thought about you this morning when I saw the national weather.

Off today!

Its a tough call. The lab has ~7000 employees plus ~1500 contractors and I would guess 50% of the total commutes (on a daily basis) from as far away as ABQ (100mi one way). The lab has their own meteorologist on staff. This time of year the team has to make the call by ~5:00AM at the latest. Sometimes its pretty difficult to make.

You have a choice of:

No delay
2 hour delay
Full closure

You can imagine the cost (lost) to close for just one day as its a paid closure so the decision is not made lightly but then you have to factor in safety as well. You tell 8000 people to come to work in an ice or snow storm and have a chain reaction wreck that kills several people and your looking at a huge lawsuit plus criticism that the lab does not take the worker's safety into account, only $$$$.

Then you have the opposite on a day where the snow hits mid morning.

Do you:

Make everyone stay as normal and hope it doesn't get bad or
Early closure

This place was built were it is because of its the remoteness and difficulty in getting here. It was in the middle of the US so pretty hard (impossible) to get to by the Germans or Japanese back in 1941.

It is still just as hard getting out of town today as it was 50 years ago. Basically one road in, one road out. There is another road but that leads directly to the mountains so in Winter its pretty much useless.

If they call an early closure it can take up to 4 hours to get home just if you live in Santa fe (40 miles away). ABQ commuters can have up to a 6 hour commute home in bad weather. Needless to say I live 5 miles from work as living in a big city with all the shopping and cheaper housing is just not worth it this time of year or any time IMHO.

I can't believe the ABQ commuters that spend 3.5-4 hours a day commuting back and forth. Thats just insane but lots of people do it, most are much closer like Santa fe and surrounding communities.

I will take my 5 min commute any day of the year! :D

Mike, I agree, that is insane to commute that far. LOL, I drive 500 yards to work and on bad snow days I go around and let everyone know I made it up over the hill safe and sound so not to worry. Sometimes they just don't seem like they were all that worried about me. :)

I just picked about 5 lbs of carrots and a couple lbs of beets from my garden in the rain. I do enjoy fresh veggies in December. This gets a lot harder after the snow starts. :db
:b

We don't pick any carrots until it's cold... starch converts to sugar... much sweeter! We cover ours with leaves and then peel back as winter goes on. Hubby digs a couple of bread bags full at a time. So much better than trying to preserve them by processing them!! My beets are done in September and need to be out before they get woody!

Debbie

Went and picked up some primer and paint this evening so I can possibly get my trim painted in living room before the weekend when we set up the tree. I'm going to be a busy boy the week after Christmas getting ready for the hardwood floors.

Tonight, made spaghetti for dinner and right now I'm cooking up a batch of sparkoloid for one of my white's that refuses to clear after 3 1/2 months. This should take care of it in a few days.

We went to my wife's office Christmas party last night. He boss told one of the owners of the company that I made wine and then started talking about the Jalepeno Pepper wine. Owner said he loved anything with peppers. He is heading back to Louisianna this morning so I sent in a bottle of the Jalepeno Pepper and also the Pomegranite Pepper I made for him to take back with him.

Can't wait to hear his opinion of them.

My wife's immediate boss shared some of my Strawberry wine with a client, the client called my wife personally to tell her how much he enjoyed it. Made her and me feel good.

After getting off the tele with Sandor I just soaked and delabled 115 bottles. They dried on the bottle tree and they just got boxed. Might have to fill some tomorrow!!!!! After working today and then that Ive got nothing left in me!!

Spent the past couple days priming and painting the trim in my home in preparation for the hardwood floors that will follow in January. My house is over 100 years old and the trim had the faux finish on it. We decided to paint since the old trim would likely look like hell against the floors. My what a difference so far. Tomorrow and Monday look like much the same.

Bottled a gallon batch of Lemoncello. Stabilized, Clarified and Degassed RJS Valpolicella Repasso. Bottled RJS LQ Toro (Timpernillo Grenashe) 2 Magnums, 22 750's and 9 375's. And am I tired, or what?:gn

Mixing up two batches of Blackberry Merlot (6 gallons each---I amped up the SG in one for a higher ABV, just for fun). Getting ready to bottle two batches of Skeeter Pee---Sweet Strawberry Tart and Triple Berry Plus! These are all favorates at my house. When the primaries are empty, I've got a Shiraz and a Raspberry White Zin going in. A busy week in the Lab! I love it!

Changed the ingnition coil on my truck, what a PITA that was. It seems to have fixed my hard starting problem for the time being. Time will tell.

In the middle of a 48 hour shift at work driving my favorate truck! :>

Tower001.jpg

Johnna's probably drinking all my wine!!! :m

Latest posts

Back