Cellar Craft Viognier (Showcase International)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I just finished pitching the yeast on this one. The initial SG was 1.085. The initial SG was not mentioned in the kit instructions. Is this within the typical range?

Thanks, Wade. Fermentation is underway 5 hours after I pitched the yeast. I was a little surprised that the kit had no oak. This is my first Viognier so that may be standard for this wine.

These wines are supposed to be mostly fruit forward, typically apricots and pears with maybe a hint of honey in the background. There is 1 kit that is very lightly oaked and that is the MM Renaissance.

The Viognier has been racked, sulfited, sorbated, etc. and is clearing. This looks like its going to be a great one.

Smokegrub,

We open our fist bottle of WE Selection Series VIognier this past weekend. It was wonderful. I should have made two kits. You're going to really enjoy this one.

Ken

Thanks for the encouragement, Ken. It is going to be difficult to wait 6 months before trying this one.

The Viognier is clearing very, very slowly no doubt attributable to the fact this was a very gassy wine. I have a brake bleeder on order and will use that to degas. Hopefully, the wine will clear quickly thereafter.

If you have added any fining agents dont degas until you rack off the sediment or it will disturb it and stir it all up again.

If I recall correctly, my WE Viognier used Isinglass for a clarifier. It took about three weeks to clear. But I had it in the cold (garage-50s) for the first week and then moved it back inside.

The instructions say to give it 3 weeks after adding the SuperKleer. It has only been a week or so, but my experience with SuperKleer is that the sediment typically precipitates "like a rock" in a day or so. I will give it the recommended time in any case, and I will rack it before degassing. Great input! Thanks.

Ahhhhh. I remember this kit. It's been years, but it was the BEST smelling wine in my bathroom/winery to date.

I trust that it is coming along nicely now.

kc

I have left it under airlock longer than usual for me. I hopw to bottle it in the next couple of days.

I bottled this one about a month ago. I couldn't stand it so I opened a bottle tonight to assess its potential. It is already great!

Latest posts

Back