WineXpert Apres Dessert Wine - bad initial SG reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raelynn

Reaction score
I started a 3 gal Chocolate Raspberry kit on Friday and messed taking the initial SG reading. I was exhausted and should have waited until my brain was working properly. I wrote down 1.065, which is much lower than it should have been, so I am certain it's incorrect. I made it exactly following the instructions, and it is bubbling as expected. The kit was missing the instruction sheet, but I found and followed the one off their site (mentioning this just in case - the link says 8L dessert wine, but the instructions are for 11L/3Gal). Kit Instructions - Winexpert

Can I assume that my SG was between 1.119 - 1.124 like the instructions say it should have been? Today is Day 4 and SG is 1.030. The instructions say SG of 1.020 should between day 5-7, so it's on track. Am I good to continue on and just not worry about the initial SG?

I started a 3 gal Chocolate Raspberry kit on Friday and messed taking the initial SG reading. I was exhausted and should have waited until my brain was working properly. I wrote down 1.065, which is much lower than it should have been, so I am certain it's incorrect. I made it exactly following the instructions, and it is bubbling as expected. The kit was missing the instruction sheet, but I found and followed the one off their site (mentioning this just in case - the link says 8L dessert wine, but the instructions are for 11L/3Gal). Kit Instructions - Winexpert

Can I assume that my SG was between 1.119 - 1.124 like the instructions say it should have been? Today is Day 4 and SG is 1.030. The instructions say SG of 1.020 should between day 5-7, so it's on track. Am I good to continue on and just not worry about the initial SG?
Yes. I would say you are fine and on target. I'm only familiar with the 3 gallon sizes and have done 1 Apres which we really like. I wouldn't sweat this at all. Enjoy!

As Khristyjeff said. Your kit may have been a little low on the SG as the last 3 WE kits I've made were on the low end of the SG range, I actually added sugar to all 3.

The only effect will be a slightly lower ABV, but I assume you will fortify & that will even out the final product.

Latest posts

Back