WineXpert FWK packet A

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to start a Winexpert Viognier and want to duplicate some of FWK steps because I think those kits are very good. Included with the FWK is a packet A. This package contains Pectic enzyme, acid blend and nutrient. Would it be wise to add the proper proportions of those three ingredients the day before pitching the yeast for a Viognier? The one ingredient that makes me take pause is Acid Blend. I have however recently made a Chardonnay FWK and packet A was included.

I am going to start a Winexpert Viognier and want to duplicate some of FWK steps because I think those kits are very good. Included with the FWK is a packet A. This package contains Pectic enzyme, acid blend and nutrient. Would it be wise to add the proper proportions of those three ingredients the day before pitching the yeast for a Viognier? The one ingredient that makes me take pause is Acid Blend. I have however recently made a Chardonnay FWK and packet A was included.
Well...I can't speak to the FWK packet A directly. I have made Winexpert Viognier a couple times and both turned out Great!

I use D47 yeast, make a yeast starter (ala FWK) and add FermaidO at 48hrs mark....and primary for 14days. I use oak chips in primary and bulk age 3-4months w/o any oak. I have Not ever added any acid blend to it.

Good Luck and Cheers!

FWK has the winemaker add Packet A, as it's supposedly customized for each wine. For all other vendors, the concentrate has already been adjusted prior to packaging.

Adding anything to non-FWK kits is very likely a mistake, especially acid.

Adding acids would as stated be a mistake. I too add extra nutrients when using yeasts with high demand.

Have you done it without? I have done that kit a few times but never with oak chips.
I have NOT done a batch w/o oak during fermentation.

Have you done it without? I have done that kit a few times but never with oak chips.
Oak during fermentation provides little to no oak flavoring, but contributes "sacrificial" tannin, which drops post-fermentation. Without it, grape tannin drops, and it's more beneficial to keep the grape tannin.

Fermentation oak also helps with color retention in red wines.

Like @Bmd2k1, in recent years I normally ferment with oak. I prefer shredded oak, for more surface area. Chips are next choice and are the most commonly used. Cubes, staves, and spirals have too little surface area for the short fermentation period, which conversely makes them more appropriate for aging oak.

Back