Finer Wine Kit Zinfandel forte PH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I mixed up the Zinfandel Forte kit yesterday to prepare to pitch the yeast today. Measured the ph 3.85 this morning and it seems a little high for a starting PH. New Apera PH60 with new calibration solution. Calibration done prior to testing. SG is 1.102 With 6gal of water. Should I leave it alone or add tartaric acid to bring it down to 3.6?

Did anyone else that just received the Zinfandel, measure their ph?

Last edited:
I would not mess with the acid. While 3.85 is high, it's still within a safe range, even if barely.

I racked a Vidal (white French-American hybrid) this morning -- the pre-fermentation pH was 3.24, it's been cold stabilized in the fridge for 3 weeks and dropped a lot of acid. The acid taste is greatly reduced.

Yet the pH was 3.20 this morning, and I calibrated the pH meter prior to use. pH and TA are often in sync (one goes up, the other goes down), but that is not always true. At this point you may make your wine too acidic if you mess with it.

My notes are here.

Here's a solid example of why messing with pH is a very imprecise thing, and potentially disasterous:

A few weeks ago I started 6 batches:

pH 3.75 -- Cabernet Sauvignon 1 (4 lugs)
pH 3.72 -- Cabernet Sauvignon 2 (4 lugs)
pH 3.77 -- Cabernet Franc 1 (4 lugs)
pH 3.75 -- Cabernet Franc 2 (4 lugs)
pH 4.07 -- Merlot 1 (3 lug)
pH 4.13 -- Merlot 2 (1 lug)

The CF and CS are near the top but within my acceptable range, so I didn't change anything. However, the Merlot are in the danger zone so I eyeballed it, adding 2 tsp tartaric acid to Merlot 1 and 1 tsp to Merlot 2.

Today I filled barrels and took readings on everything. The results are somewhat surprising:

pH 3.45 -- Cabernet Sauvignon, both batches combined
pH 3.77 -- Merlot, both batches combined

The Cabernet Franc was in 4 carboys so I checked each individually:

pH 3.37 -- Bravo yeast 1
pH 3.41 -- Bravo yeast 2
pH 3.40 -- Avante yeast 1
pH 3.36 -- Avante yeast 2

The CS and CF are now in a good place, although any adjustments will be done by taste. The Merlot is on the high side, but again, any adjustments would be by taste. However, I'm making CS and CF heavy blends, so the Merlot's pH may be ignored. Any leftover Merlot will probably be blended into high acid Chambourcin, so it's high pH will be a benefit.

Be very careful of chasing a number, as you may not be chasing what you think you're chasing. And worse, you might catch it!

I will be going out of town in a couple weeks and I have my Zinfandel closed up and on the skins. I’ve been keeping the room averages around 70-71f and will continue that until Dec 1. After that for the next week would it be ok for the temperature to run 65-68? Or should I continue to keep it at 70 during the extended maceration process?

I will be going out of town in a couple weeks and I have my Zinfandel closed up and on the skins. I’ve been keeping the room averages around 70-71f and will continue that until Dec 1. After that for the next week would it be ok for the temperature to run 65-68? Or should I continue to keep it at 70 during the extended maceration process?
If anything, cooler temperatures are better. Think about it -- in EM you have two opposing forces -- wine leaching things out of pomace AND pomace decomposing. Cooler temperatures extend decomposition time while extending leaching time.

Latest posts

Back