Transfer Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally do not like the idea of an impeller beating up my wine and then taking it all apart to santize it also. If you do make sure you use a potable water hose also.

The typical vacuum setups typically will pull the same amount of volume also - just a little less.

How much wine are we talking about also ?

If I were on a budget, and not over 6 gallons to pump at one time, I would use a hacked 12 volt air pump. Look around and you can find out how.

If I were going to spend 70 or 80 bucks on a pump, I would definitely spend the extra money and get an allinonevacuumpump.

If I were doing 50 to 100 gallons at one time, I don't know what I would do.

You should be looking for a diaphragm pump because it is gentle on the wine. The next choice is a rubber impeller pump. If you are looking for a great diaphragm pump that will last for years and is gentle on the wine buy one of these. http://morewinepro.com/view_product/17305/100515/Self-Priming_Diaphragm_Pump

Vacuum Pumping is great but you cannot use that type of pumping in all situations for example filling a tank.
Malvina

Thanks Malvina - that is more what I was looking for.

I am going to be transferring 55 gallons..

This Shurflo pump work very well ! - I have 1 that I use for sulfiting all my bottles and it comes in a 12 volts as well.

I use a 2"Pacer pump with a 5.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. 150 gallons per minute. You can also fill your pool. Oops, I thought I was in the grape growing forum.

Coming from always using a vacuum pump at home I hook up the pump at work when I first started there to pull the wine through the filter. I was quickly corrected to always have it push.

So if your pushing that means your pressurizing the wine to make it flow through the filter system?

You got's some esplaining to do here!

Coming from always using a vacuum pump at home I hook up the pump at work when I first started there to pull the wine through the filter. I was quickly corrected to always have it push.

Any details on why it is better to push wine through a filter vs. pulling?
Yes the reason given when drawing through the filter the wine reaches the filter and at that point there is a pressure difference that creates cavitation. That cavitation has the effect of lowering the boiling point of the liquid on a molecular basis not a good idea to do that to wine. When pushing there is a pressure build up but the wine does not experience the cavitation. Now we know that we effectively use vacuum in an Enolmatic System without issue and that is the same as drawing wine through the filter. I personally think this issue comes more into play with large volume and surface area filtration. However all filter systems that use a pump are designed to push the wine not draw it.
Malvina

Yes you can use either a vacuum pump or a diaphragm pump to rack. In some cases it may be advantageous to use the vacuum pump if you are racking into a sealed container like a carboy.
Malvina

Latest posts

Back