Total NOOB from CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I recently got very interested in making wine after going to a friends house who made some rather successful wine. I was suprised at how easy it looked (I think I know differently now) and how young wine wasn't so bad.

I typically drink a glass or two of Spicy Zin or medium bodied Cab a night. I buy in the $12-$20 a bottle range and I am really hoping to invest that cash into a good starter set up and begin making wine.

I Have watched a few videos and read a few guides and feel ready to purchase a starter kit.

Fine vine wines has a $179 deluxe kit with bottle cleaning rack and most of what I think I will need. Any others I should consider?

I am considering this kit and wanted any feedback you guys might have.

Also, I am wondering where most of you make wine?
Where do you let it ferment?
Does it smell strongly?
I have a workshop in the basment that probably stays 75 degrees but I am not certain ( will have to check). It also has a floor drain and I'm considering adding a sink.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on vendors, an equipment kit and any advice on good wine ingredients for my tastes.

Thanks!
Chad

Welcome! From a former Noob, also from CT, you are on the right track. The basement is the place and with a floor drain and a sink, you will be in winemakers heaven. On the sink, I always wanted a double basin with a shelf on either side, but hey, one can dream. 72 to 75 degrees is perfect, if you are lower you can always use some type of spot heating ( light bulbs is what I use, but you can use a brew belt, aquarium heater or the like). As for smell, I did a number of kits and even though the smell is noticeable, i like it and the others did not object. I did do some batches recently that were a bit smelly. I just am doing the Cellar Craft Old vine zin with grape pack and it is freaking awesome, already.

Hey Chad, welcome to the forum. You already have a work area, floor drain and putting in a sink. You are way better off then half the folks here. You are entering a hobby that you'll love and be able to pass down to your children. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to the forum, Chad. You're well on your way to a perfect set-up.
You'll probably want to get a floor corker and a spare hydrometer.

I bought that same kit from George a long time ago. It is a nice starter, but "starter" is what it is. I have added several different things to it over the years.

If I had it to do it over again, I would have bought the equipment kit that includes a floor corker.

Good luck on your new obsession and welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies already. Must be a good group for such a quick and genuine welcome.

I see the kit with the floor corker and at $129 it seems a formidible piece of equipment. I have seen smaller corkers, I am sure they don't work as well, but wonder if I shouldn't keep the first cost to under $200 before I see if like the results and work of producing wine.

I did just do a temperature check of the workshop and see that I am 63 degrees. I guess a brew band will get me up to fermenting temp? So far it looks like a starter kit, an extra hydrometer, a few small containers and spray bottles for sanitizing and a brew band could get me in business. I may just have to pull the trigger on the starter kit with the tax return I just recieved!

Glass over plastic carboys? I'm off to search for threads on that.

Thanks guys, I love all the advice. Chad

Thanks for the replies already. Must be a good group for such a quick and genuine welcome.

I see the kit with the floor corker and at $129 it seems a formidible piece of equipment. I have seen smaller corkers, I am sure they don't work as well, but wonder if I shouldn't keep the first cost to under $200 before I see if like the results and work of producing wine.

I did just do a temperature check of the workshop and see that I am 63 degrees. I guess a brew band will get me up to fermenting temp? So far it looks like a starter kit, an extra hydrometer, a few small containers and spray bottles for sanitizing and a brew band could get me in business. I may just have to pull the trigger on the starter kit with the tax return I just recieved!

Glass over plastic carboys? I'm off to search for threads on that.

Thanks guys, I love all the advice. Chad

No problem, there is no wrong answer on the equipment kit. You can do like most of us and upgrade later. That kit you want will definitely work for you.

If you ever want to utilize a vacuum pump for racking, degassing, and bottling, you will be better off with glass carboys.

Having said that, I love to cold stabilize some of my wines to drop out all the excess acid. If you are like me and have to do the CS in the garage in the cold weather, the plastic Better Bottles (not really made of plastic) work great, because there is little chance they will burst in the cold.

Welcome Chad! Everyone here is wonderful..........I've had to ask their advice multiple times!

Pretty soon the CT-ers are going to outnumber the PA-ers! :br

The brew belt will do the trick and despite what it says on the package we use them on glass all the time anmd to my knowledge I dont recall anyone having any problems. Just dont use a brew belt on a carboy thats like 30* or something that cold as the severe temp change wil crack the glass, just like taking a cold carboy and pouring hot water in it! Where abouts in Ct are you?

My workspace is mid 60's and it is great for whites. (check your yeast temp range) you may only need brew belt for reds. Also you will have some time for the corker purchase at a later time. Plan on alot of room , this hobby can really grow on you.

No turning back now. A deluxe kit from FVW, a spare hydrometer and the grand cru cab kit that they bundled in are on the way. I sort of wanted Zin but that wasn't offered and at the bundle price, I am sure it will be a bargain.

Thanks for all your help.

Wade, I am in Cheshire, CT.

Off to Amazon to buy the brew belt, I didn't see it offered at FVW.

You are on your way. I would rather have it cooler than warmer in the making area. You can always add local heat, you want it to be cool for aging which takes a lot longer. Good luck!

Call george, he does sell the brew belt but its a little hard to find it on the site. Call him, he loves to tslk to us and tell him I sent ya! I alsp admin his site!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back