Thanks George and hello all

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I found this site a few weeks ago and have been here quite a bit since.My Father-in-law and I started our first kits a few weeks ago and I already have a million questions, some of which I have had answered by reading on this site.
I look forward to " talking" with you all as I try to figure this wine making thing out. Have to get going but see you guys soon.

Welcome to our site and we'd love to answer some of your questions. Thats why we are here.

Welcometo the forum. You'll get all the answers you want right here.

We have an RJS Vino del Vida Cab/Merlot and a VdV Valpolicella. I also have a VdV Pinot Grigio thats going into the primary in the next few days. I think the next kit I get will be something other than a VdV. To be honest I thought that the directions for the Pinot Grigio was going to be a little different than the 2 reds. Like I said before these are our first 2 kits so we are completely new to this but I figured there would be little differents in the process. At least the fermentation temps.I might keep the temp for the primary a little cooler that we did for the 2 reds. The temp for the reds were 79 and 84. My fementation room is a constant 59 degrees. Ive had others tell me to follow the directions and others tell me to ferment at a little lower temp? Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forums!

I would ferment whites at a slightly lower temp (70-73). Any cooler and it will just drag out and you risk a stuck fermentation which is pretty much hard or impossible to recover from.

Welcome, and just to add to what Mike (Flem) said "You'll get all the answers you want right here." and some you don't want.
smiley29.gif

With kits temp doesnt make much of a difference due to the way the juice was processed but 79-84 is a little too high, do as said above and keep in the low 70's. With fresh juice and grapes its different and youd want even cooler temps for whites more like what you thought. Make sure you get the temp back up to mid 70s when degassing and fining though and youll get a much better result there.

Welcome to the forum. I've found the people here to be extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.

Latest posts

Back