Nova Scotian here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello :ibšŸ– - Figured I should say HI and give a bit of an intro.

Used to make wine over 12 yrs ago but now starting up again -- I just do kits, altho I did a bit of experimenting by fermenting maple syrup with a balloon lock, and a few different juices (apple, grape, etc from store shelves)

I recently finished a TWISTED MIST 'malibu sunset' which I added a wee bit of 'super yeast' to in addition to the usual yeast.. The kit finished fermenting on day 10 and today on day 16 the wine is clear as a bell and having tried it, I'm fairly surprised to discover it seems to have a pretty good kick to it!

-- can't say I'm all that pleased with the flavor being that it's a limited edition, but it's still good, just not quite what I typically like that's all --

Welcome to WMT! I have a Twisted Mist Pina Colada in process now. I bumped up the sugar by quite a bit so it will be more "wine" than "wine cooler" so we shall see how it turns out. I haven't tried it yet - just added the flavor pack this week.

Welcome to WMT! I have a Twisted Mist Pina Colada in process now. I bumped up the sugar by quite a bit so it will be more "wine" than "wine cooler" so we shall see how it turns out. I haven't tried it yet - just added the flavor pack this week.
wish I had picked up the Pina Colada instead of the 'malibu sunset' one. The TWISTED MIST kits are apparently supposed to yield a 6% alc level .. Mine cleared fully after about 36 hours .. and I'm quite certain the alc level is a heck of a lot higher (possibly from the shot of super-yeast I threw in there?? not sure)

and I'm quite certain the alc level is a heck of a lot higher (possibly from the shot of super-yeast I threw in there?? not sure)
Welcome.

Alcohol content is controlled by the amount of sugar in the must. The type of yeast only has an effect if it cannot complete fermentation due to low alcohol tolerance. The extra kick may be CO2 on the young wine.

I tried this at my LHBS it was really pleasant. I decided to try one based on that one, and it was not pleasant. I just dumped it yesterday. Not my cup of tea. It was a berry base with too much of the fake coconut flavor.

The one you chose was like a nice white with a fun twist to it. Very drinkable.

If you want to have some fun try to get Nova Scotia L'Acadie Blanc white wine grapes or juice. I had L'Acadie Blanc wine in Digby with sensational scallops. A truly memorable dinner. A first class white wine grape for the east coast.

Nova Scotia Tidal Bay blends inspired me to plant L'Acadie, Muscat Osecola and Siegerrebe here in Ontario, am hoping for to harvest enough to blend next year.

Hi there! Welcome back to the world of winemaking. It's great that you're experimenting with different types of fermentations and ingredients. Adding a bit of super yeast can definitely increase the alcohol content in your wine, so it's not surprising that your Twisted Mist kit has a kick to it. It's good to hear that the wine is clearing up nicely and that you're satisfied with the result, even if the flavor isn't exactly what you were hoping for.

Latest posts

Back