Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a updated picture:

strawberWine.jpg

It seems like it came out kinda dark in that picture. It seems to me to be lighter then that.

Scuba

Ok I have been checking this wine for awhile now and its time for a update. I am very happy with how well this wine is clearing, it has dropped quite a bit of lees (about 1/2'') and has lost that orange color, it is now a nice light dark red. Ill rack it here in a week or so, I just have to get to the dollar store and get some marbles.

Hey Scub:
Another way to do this is to simply set your drop siphon into the bottle and leave it aloneand take everything that comes out.

The majority of material that's higher than the top of the blacksiphon wand tipwill settledownward rather than toward the siphon when the must drops to that level.

You'll get some lees, yes, but not nearly as much as what you have now and another siphon later that week or next will remove all the rest without sacrificing any of your must.

Good luck.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed in the past with the Strawberry wines that I've madethat it will clear perfectly, then for some reason throw quite a bit of sediment later on. Anyone else notice this? It seems to me that strawberry is one of the worst culprits for this when making fruit wines. It might be important to note that I've always frozen my strawberries first, so that might have something to do with it.

As long as you bulk age at least 2 months this doesn't seem to be a problem, but it will throw sediment in the carboy during this time, even if it seems brilliantly clear when you start the aging process. At least that's been my experience.

Well I just racked it again today and I wasnt liking the results. It smelled and tasted like metal, probley from when I screwed up and used those saftey pins, that meta rubbed off. Ill let it settle and try again but this wine may be getting dumped out :(.

Scuba

Never dump it scuba. Bottle it and let it sit for a few months and i bet youll be surprised.

Never dump it scuba. Bottle it and let it sit for a few months and I bet youll be surprised. If I dumped 1/2 the batches I didnt like at first my cellar would only be 1/2 full. My Ice wine was so disgusting when I bottled it that I didnt touch it for over a year and finally got up the nerve to open a bottle 2 weeks ago and was so suprised that I will most likely enter it in a competition now.

Scuba remember that fruit wines are notorious for needing LOTS of aging. Jack Keller will tell you not to think about touching some for 2 years! Bottle it and forget about it--out of sight, out of mind!

I knew you guys were going to tell me to let this one age and I will go with you on it. I just havent had a good feeling about this wine from the start with the metal coming off the saftey pins then looking at it today and smelling and tasting the metal, but I have a few corks lying around and some bottles so ill bottle it and forget it :). Then ill test it out on unspecting friends to make sure it is ok
smiley2.gif

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

I would plan on a minimum of 1 year befoe I even tried it scuba. Strawberry likes to be coddled and aged. Sing something reallynice to it when bottling too

Hi all

question - can you add wine concentrate after fermentation or just during?

fermentation is just about done on my strawberry and wondering if I can still add.

Thanx for comeback.

rrawhide

Have never doe it either but I would wait till its stabilized before adding as it probably has sugar in it and will up the abv unless you feel it needs a boost in that area to.

I use WinExpert Grape Concentrates in most of our fruit wines...I always add it at the beginning.

I had read someplace that it can be added at any point during the wine making process....

So...I think you could add it now, it would add body, sweetness and flavor...Give it some time and keep an eye on it and be sure to add Sorbate at bottling.

And...Be sure to share your experience with us...

IF I MIGHT ASK<WHYWOULD YOU WANT TO PUT A CONCENTRATE IN ANY FRUIT WINE,THE CONCENTRATATION SHOULD BE IN THE FRUIT TO START WITH<IF THE FRUIT YOUR USEING IS IN PEAK TASTE AND QUALITY,I KNOW THATS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE DARE I SAY I HAD MY SHARE OF FAILURES THE ONLY CONCENTRATE GOING INTO MY WINE IS WHAT EVER ITS MAIN BODY IS,,RASSTO A RASS CONCENTRATE AND SO ON ,IF I NEED TO ADD BODY THATS A HOLE DIFFERENT AMNIMAL,AND VERY DOABLE<MAKING A (F) PACK ISN'T THAT HARD TO DO AND ONCE YOU'VE TRIED IT YOU WON'T GO BACK,I KNOW EVEYONE HAS A DIFFERENT CONCIPT OF HOW THEIR FINISHED PRODUCT SHOULD FINISH OUT AND I RESPECT THAT,I JUST CAN'T SEE ADDING CONCENTRATES OTHER THAN WHAT THE BASE IS TO ENHANCE THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT<JUST MY THOUGHTS<WITH ALL DO RESPECT TO OTHERS/////////////

Does an 'F - Pack' add sweetness??? What is in it????

We like dry red wines with different fruit flavors....seems lately I have been adding more grape concentrates and less fruit juices...but still get the fruit flavors coming through.

So many fruits to try.

Just our personal tastes I guess....
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back