Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hi guys. I think this is the right place to post this but anyway.

I got this recipe from Jack Keller's website:

"
<CENTER>
<H3>Frozen Strawberry Wine</H3></CENTER>

<UL>
<LI>3 lbs. frozen strawberries
<LI>1 11-oz. can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
<LI>1 lb 14 oz. light brown sugar
<LI>2 tsp. citric acid
<LI>1/4 tsp. grape tannin
<LI>water to make 1 gallon
<LI>1 tsp. yeast nutrient
<LI>1 sachet Red Star Côte des Blancs wine yeast </LI>[/list]

Thaw strawberries and grape juice concentrate. Dissolve sugar in 5 pints water and bring to boil. Strain juice or syrup from fruit and save liquid. Put thawed fruit in nylon straining bag in primary and crush fruit with hands. Pour boiling water over fruit, cover primary, and set aside to cool. When cooled to 80-85° F., add grape juice concentrate, tannin, acid, yeast nutrient, reserved juice or syrup, and 1 pint water. Stir well to blend ingredients. Add activated yeast, cover and stir daily. Do not further crush, mash or squeeze bag of strawberry pulp. Remove bag on 7th day and allow to drip drain, saving drippings. Return drippings to primary and transfer to secondary fermentation vessel. Top up to one gallon if required, attach airlock and set aside. After 45 days, rack into secondary containing 1 Campden tablet dissolved in a little wine and reattach airlock. Rack again after additional 60 days. Stabilize wine when clear and rack after additional 45 days. Bottle and age at least 6 months. [Author's own recipe]"

I'm going to assume this makes 1 gallons of wine? What do you guys suggest to use as a nylon straining bag? Is there is a difference between using liquid/powdered grape tannin?

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

It sounds like a good recipe. I use liquid tannin because I think it mixes easier, but I believe the measure here is for powdered. Yes those recipes are for making one gallon. For the bag- you can either buy bags for the straining bags. You can buy at a wine supply store , you can get them at the paint store also or like Waldo- use one of your best pairs of nylon stockings.
smiley4.gif

This is the recipe that I used. I started mine yesterday, and just put the yeast in a few hours ago. SG was a little high when I followed the direction, had to thin it out a bit. We got it down to 1.094.

No I even had the Camera out to take them and got all mixed up in making it and forgot to take any. I didn't have a nylon bag of any kind so I just put the pulp right in. Hopefully it will all turn out the same.

Waldo suggested putting in Pectic Enzym too. I didn't have any so I didn't. But Waldo knows alot more than I do so if I had it I would have used it.

I have made 3 recipes from Jack Keller’s site and each was high in starting SG. Be careful with the sugar and add a little at a time until you get what you like.

Always adjust sugar levels as fruits sugars vary alot. Try to adjust acidity to but not as crucial. Fruit wines should have an SG of around 1.080 -1.095 tops. I usually keep mine at 1.085.

Edited by: wade

Mine read around 1.096 tonight. I just put the yeast in today. So we are on the road now.

resizewine_3.jpg

As far as I have read Pectic Enzyme breaks down Pectic in the wine. Pectic in wine will cause a hazing. So its a clearing agent. (I think)

And yes it is 1/2 Tsp per gallon. Added before the yeast.Edited by: bfletch13

Scubaman2151 said:
Im new to this area of wine making so what excatly does petic enzyme do?

Scuba

Pectic Enzyme will increase juice yielded from fruit by breaking down the cellular structure of the fruit, allowing it to release more juice. In clearing purposes, it binds with the residual pectin (cause of pectin haze) causing it to "jell" and drop out of the must or wine. Similar to adding to fruit to make jelly.

Cool works both ways. Thanks for the info guys. I need to start getting the ingredients together.

Scuba

Can I use liquid grape tannin instead of the powder form? If yes how much liquid should I use and still keep the recipe accurate?

I just went to Lowes and got a 2 gal white plastic paint bucket that is clean and never been used, I also got 2 nylon straining bags.

Scuba

Scubaman2151 said:
I just went to Lowe's and got a 2 gal white plastic paint bucket that is clean and never been used, I also got 2 nylon straining bags.

I'm about to do the same thing. If I can draw my attention away from this forum. I think we need to swap out after its bottled to compare.
smiley1.gif

I need to mark the inside of the container so I know where 1 gallon is. Anyone know what I can safely mark the container with, permanent marker?

Scuba

Latest posts

Back