Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAY I WAS GOING TO MAKE RASSBERRY WINE HAVE #)LBS OF BERRIES,PRESS THE JUICE OUT OF THEM<WITH THE LEFT OVER MASH I THEN WOULD DIVIDE it UP INTO TWO PARTS,SOME BECOME MY MUST,AND THE BALANCE I WOULD SLOWLY COOK WITH SUGAR ,NOT A LOT JUST EN OUGHT TO SWEETEN COOK DOWN INTO A PUREE,LET COOL AND PLACE IN COLD STORAGE UNTIL USE OR FREEZE IN A AIR TIGHT CONTAINER TILL NEEDED,AFTER PRIMARY AND WHAT EVER I NEED TO PREP FOR FINDING AND BOTTLING I TASTE AND ADD THE PURE PUREE AS NEEDED REINTRODUCING THE RASPBERRY FRUIT BACK TO THE MIX LET SET FOR A WEEK OR SO TASTE AND IF NEEDED BACK SWEETEN WITH SIMPLE SYRUP TO MY DESIRED LEVEL,THATS HOW TO MAKE AND USE AN F PACK MY STYLE DOESN'T MATTER WHAT TYPE OF FRESH FRUIT,MAKING THE PUREE AND slowly SIMMERING TO BREAK THE FRUIT DOWN IS THE KEY ,NOT TO COOK THE FLAVOR OUT OF THE RAW PRODUCT,USUALLY 5gallon and 3gallon batches are good for fruit forward style wines,abv about 12% to 13.5 max
abv./brix about 22////////////////well at least thats my style,its more work but the results are worth it//////////////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12Edited by: joeswine

NW MAY BE THE DIFFERENCE IS THE INTENSITY OF THE FINISH PRODUCT SEE WHEN I OPEN A BOTTLE OF MY BLACKBERRY AND STICK MY NOISE IN IT IT SMELLS LIKE BLACBBERRY JAM<SAME WITH THE RASSBERRY AND PLUM OPEN THEM UP AND DEEP AROMA AND FLAVOR< BUT THEN I,AM PARCIAL,ITS TAKEN ME A WHILE TO GET HERE BUT I BELIEVE MY FRUIT WINES ARE WITH THE BEST ON THE MARKET,ALSO I MAKE A RASSBERRY SHARAZ AND A BLACKBERRY PINOT NOIR BOTH FINISH VERY NICE///////////THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12

I had been using between 22-25 pounds of fruit per 5-6 gallon batch of wine, would add only 2 bottles of grape concentrate....the fruit taste was very pronounced. The red grape concentrate gives it a beautiful color and doesn't change the flavor, just smooths it out a bit.

Now I am getting into more grape and using equivalent of 10 pounds of fruit, still getting a nice fruit flavor but like the complexity a bit more. Have been using Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Burgundy concentrates....want to try some inexpensive kits and boost them with about only 10 pounds of fruit.

We really like the raspberry/apple wine, a very nice mix. Also made a Niagara [store bought juice] with raspberry.....

So many fruits....so many wines...too few carboys.
smiley4.gif

Scubaman2151 said:
I knew you guys were going to tell me to let this one age and I will go with you on it. I just havent had a good feeling about this wine from the start with the metal coming off the saftey pins then looking at it today and smelling and tasting the metal, but I have a few corks lying around and some bottles so ill bottle it and forget it :). Then ill test it out on unspecting friends to make sure it is ok
smiley2.gif

Scuba

I have a friend at work who is also into this hobby and has been doing it for over 20 years. He's the one that got me started doing this. I was talking to him a while back and mentioned the strawberry winethat I was making. He told me that he had never had good luck with frozen strawberries because in his opinion frozen strawberries leave a "metallic" taste and he insisted that only fresh ones should be used. I happen to disagree with this as I made a batch from frozen strawberries back in '05 and did not open a bottle until about a year later and it was wonderful. Perhaps his theory has merit right away but I firmly believe that if this is the case, the metallic taste will definitley go away with time.

Your "unsuspecting" friends will not be disappointed if you let it sit long enough. Just stick a tag on the bottle stating "Do not open until Memorial day '09" and I'm confident you'll like the results.

i agree with you on the frozen berry concept,we use frozen fruit all the time in place of fresh when flash frozen correctly not a problem most times sugar adjust ment is required, just like fresh ,but not a problem you need to watch for the water content of the fruit when flash frozen this can, but not always renders the fruit very moist sometimes soggy but usually not a problem,this product is perfect for making fruit (f) packs with we have a vender at sams club thatfreezes bags of,mix berries,strawberries and blueberries frozen,fun to play with in mix and match combo's with red wines and whites .what do you think.......... you can really make a concentrate oout of these!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12Edited by: joeswine

Hello again guys.

So a question on this strawberry wine. Its been sitting in my basement now still for some time and I decided its time to do something with it. However I am still concerned about what happened when I fermented it. Remember how I closed the bag with safety pins, well during the fermentation the silver coating on the pins came off. I didn't see any floating in the wine, nor can I remember seeing any after fermentation. I wanted to know though if you think the wine is still safe to drink? Also I plan on back sweeting this a little bit, any idea how much sugar I should add to achieve something near a light to medium sweetness. Nothing major but enough so you know its a sweeter wine.

Thanks,

Scubaman2151

I just went back and re-read all the posts and I think im fine, just wanted to triple check before bottling lol.

Yep, I didnt notice anything wrong with it but then again I have never had strawberry wine or a fruit wine to compare it to. I think its ok though.

Thanks for all the info contained in this thread. I plan to make a 5 or 6 gallon batch this spring. And hope to be enjoying some of it in the spring of 2010.

Latest posts

Back