Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark it on the OUTSIDE with a heavy permanent marker...Then look at it toward a light....You don't want to mark the inside as your wine foams up a lot.

Also...there is some topics on food grade plastic....check it out. Think there is a mark on the bottom of the bucket as to what type of plastic is is made of.

I called the manufacture of the bucket and they said that yes the bucket is food grade. The bucket has a number 2 inside the recycle triangle and under it is the letters HDPE. If the bucket has those two things and is white, most likely it is food grade.

Scuba

Yeah the is what I have done on my buckets is fill it up with a measured amount of water. Then we marked it off on the outside of the bucket. we have even done our carboys this way.

So those nylon strain bags i got, there is a large opening in the top where the paint is poured in. How can I keep that shut so nothing comes out of the bag?

Also part of the tag for the bag is sewed into the bag lining, its like a heavy cardboard, will this hurt the wine?

Scuba

I cant cut it all off but I can cut off 90% of it. They literally sewed the tag into the thread of the bag, if i cut that part a big hole will be in the bag.

Scuba

That cardboard wine will leave a dry, papery flavor in your mouth.
smiley11.gif

We use either string or if it's big enough we tie the top in a knot.

Well I got a 1 gallon glass jar, Im just waiting on the chemicals to come in and then I will start this strawberry wine.

Scuba

Scuba

I'm on the 4th day of fermentation with this recipe. Its going very fast, and tasting very nice. The SG drops about 0.020 everyday. this is only my second batch of wine, but its going allot faster than the kit we did. It's a very nice recipe, will be doing more of it as soon as we free up a bucket.

1 gallon batches go very fast so you will want to transfer to carboy around 1.030 or there abouts.

Well I guess I will be doing that tomorrow then. Why transfer when the SG is still that high?

bf, you are less like to get a stuck fermentation with the SG that high. You also get a good cap to protect you wine.

Some folks do their entire fermentation in a secondary under airlock. Most do theirs in a vessel with a relatively large surface area for two reasons. First, foaming in such a vessel is easily contained. Second, during their early growth phase lots of oxygen is essential. I actually stir my primary twice a day for the first few days or until a vigorous fermentation is underway. Racking to secondary should be done while some fermentation is still underway so that a carbon dioxide cap forms over the wine and protects it from oxygen. I know that sounds weird--must needs oxygen during the yeast growth phase but will be harmed by oxygen once fermentation has ceased, but that is correct. To sum up, I transfer to secondary once vigorous fermentation has ceased and I have no concerns about the secondary foaming over.

AHH that explains allot. Thanks for the help. I trust what yous guys say but always like to know why to do the things you tell us. Thanks for all the help.

I couldnt take it any longer, I started my own strawberry batch today. Found some flash frozen strawberries at grocery store and figured I would try it.
smiley2.gif

dcrnbrd said:
I couldnt take it any longer, I started my own strawberry batch today. Found some flash frozen strawberries at grocery store and figured I would try it.
smiley2.gif

Awsome looks like we are starting a trend!!
Keep us posted on yours.

I dropped the yeast this morning. Trying to figure out how to resize pics to post.

20080213_130823_012_-_Copy_320x.JPG
Here is a pic of the strawberry this am after pitching yeast. Smells wonderful.

Latest posts

Back