Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have any strong white thread or string....Cut a piece of the fabric off of the top...just 1/4 to 1/2" wide and tie it with that....just a suggestion!!!!!!Wash it all in plain warm water and then sulfite solution, rinse in water.

I used a straining bag a couple times and washed and dipped it in sulfite...didn't rinse it...then wondered...how much extra sulfite liquid was in the bag????Edited by: Northern Winos

I have white thread, that should work ok. How about fishing line, I know I have that around here.

Scuba

Like Mono Filament??? [Or how ever you spell it???] It is kind of plastic...might react to the wine...???? Cotton thread...several strands would work.

I would justclose it off by tyeing a knot in the top of the bag. I have done it this way as well as other members of the forum. Its not like the bag is going to be under pressure. Don't stress about the small things man just tie the knot and make some wine.

Scubaman2151 said:
Heres a pic of what I got now.

StrawberryWine.jpg

Will the concentrate work that I got? It say"From concentrated juice cocktail". I check the ingredients and there wasn't any potassium in there at all.

This concentrate may work, but it is not 100% juice. ( not even close )
Read the ingredients ..... there is a small percentage of real juice.

The colored caps are a key.
The words, "100% Juice" are clearly printed on the good ones.
If it says, "cocktail or drink" it is a sugary mixture with a little real juice in it.
This I know for sure, becausethe 100% juiceis what we drink in our household instead of pepsi, coke, mountain dew, etc.

My son loves the White Grape Peach 100% juice.
20080215_050641_WhiteGrapePeach.jpg

Ingredients.... "white grape and apple juice concentrates, filtered water, peach juice concentrate, citric acid ( for tartness ), natural flavor, ascorbic acid ( vitamin C )."Edited by: Lloyd

Lloyd has it right Scubaman. The 100% juice ones are the ones you want to use. They come in frozen microwaveable containers or concentrates in a can like soda. The 100% White is made from Niagara and contains small amounts of K-Meta to prevent browning. It will not interfere with fermentation once diluted to the strength you need. Here is a quote from their site:
Do Welch's juice products contain preservatives?
Welch's Purple 100% Grape Juice and juice cocktails do not contain preservatives. Welch's 100% White Grape Juice, however, does contain the preservative potassium metabisulfite, which is added to prevent browning and maintain color. Welch's Sparkling Juice Cocktails do contain the preservatives sodium benzoate and potassium metabisulfite

I have used the 100% Welch's White before with great results.

Scubaman2151 said:
What I have, I assume it will still work?

Scuba

Yes it will work. It just won't add as much body as you could get with the 100%. Both will raise the overall SG of the must, so check the SG before starting to add any extra sugar. You sure are doing your homework for this batch. Good going and good luck with it.

In the future, look for the cans with the yellow lids.

As to the juice you have--yes it will work, but my experience is that it will ferment slowly. My wife enjoys the concord grape with the white lid. I prepare the juice according to the instructions on the can. The resulting wine is back sweetened with sugar and looks like a blush.

Lol when I went to the store, there was like literally 100 different types of these cans there so I picked this one becuase I checked the back and the list of ingredients seem ok. Maybe Ill try to return this and get a different one.

Scuba

I know I am late to this thread, but just wanted to let you know that I made this wine last year around this time using the recipe from Jack Keller. It has turned out quite nice. A nice Rose. I back sweetened it some and it is really good.

Don't be alarmed when you rack this wine. Strawberry throws a lot of sediment.

Strawberries are just just about in full swing down here in Florida. We have the Strawberry Festival in a few weeks in Plant City. I plan on getting enough berries to make six gallons this year.

Hope your strawberry wines turn out good.

Cheers,

John

My White Grape went into the secendary in 5 days using Cotes de blancs yeast, and was bottled after 2 1/2 months. Its a very nice tasting wine.

OK I got everything in order. I went back to the store and got 100% frozen white grape juice and it has a yellow cap :) so were good there. I am starting the strawberry wine tomorrow morning, I am also going to bottle my 6 gallons of Mezza Luna Red. Lots of pictures coming tomorrow.

Scuba

I rackedthe strawberry over this morning. SG is at 1.035.
20080216_080804_002_-_Copy_2_32.JPG

That is a pretty red.

Looks good.

I started my Strawberry wine this morning and I am very excited about it. It tastes great right now and is in perfect SG range. It is 1.081, it might get bumped up a little more if some more sugar from the strawberries come out. I took one picture of it, but this was right after I poured in the hot sugar water so all the steam makes the wine look really really gross. when I pitch the yeast I take a better picture. I added everything needed like the grape juice and the chemicals, I'm letting it sit right now then I will pitch the yeast later tonight. For the pulp nylon bag I just used safety pins and pinned it shut, actually work pretty well.

Scuba

Oh yeah, the power went out in the middle of me making this so that made for a fun time :).Edited by: Scubaman2151

I just put yeast and pectic enzyme in:
StrawberryWine1.jpg

StrawberryWine11.jpg

I'm a little worried right now. The consistency of the wine is kinda syrupy, the hydrometer doesn't float freely. The temp right now is 68* F. When I took the first reading the temp was like 85*. So the sugar problem cooled down and that could be whats making the consistency so thick?

Scuba

I would get the temp up more at least until it starts fermenting. 1.081, was that with the adjustment for the 85 degree temp?

Edited by: wade

I used a online converter and it said that at 85* the true SG would be about 1.083-1.084.I put the brew belt on it when I pitched the yeast to help get the temp up.

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

Latest posts

Back