Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I checked on the wine this morning and the must was at about 78* and fermentation hadn't started yet. I gave it a good stir hopefully to get things moving. Could this be from me not re-hydrating the yeast before I put it into the must?

Scuba

The Cote des Blancs yeast is a fairly silent fermenter. It never really works up a big visible foaming head. It has only been one day. A lot of times you don't even notice anything for a few days and then it usually is only sort of a fizzing. Don't rush it. With this one, you want to retain the gentle aromas and a slow ferment is much better at that than a really vigorous quick one. This evening put your ear to it and listen for a soda like fizzing. That will be music to you ear.

Looks great Scuba.
smiley20.gif
Appleman I though I was the only one that listened to my must fizzle, sounded a bit like Rice Krispies. Tomy
smiley4.gif

Cotes Des Blanc is the slowest starting yeast youll ever use but it always does a good job. Ive worried quite a few times with this yeast as it has taken 3 days to start for me a couple of times.

Glad to hear that, it really starts to worry me when its on its 3rd day and there is no signs yet.

Well I just got home and checked the must. Fermentation is really moving along, little bit of foam on top but not too bad. I am also happy to say that the syrupy consistency has almost gone away entirely.

Scuba

Updated picture. The bag just keeps floating like that but I push it down a couple times a day. What do you think of the color, it seems more like a light orange then red.
StrawberryWine2.jpg

Scuba

The color will get better. I gave the bag a good squeezing every time I went to stir it. This gave it a lot of the color. The only thing I didnt do like your recipe is add the grape juice. I used 4 lbs of frozen strawberries. Patience is the hardest thing for me. Mine is still fermenting but it has slowede down a lot. I will check the sg later today to see where I am at.

I think I might have screwed up here. I used metal saftey pins and it looks like they are rusting. They were not rusted when I put them into the must. The color looks off as well. Ill have to see what it looks like when fermentation is over.

Scuba

The color is ok, but take the safety pins out to be safe. Just tie the bag in a loose knot. That's all I ever do with them and it works fine.

Strawberry wine is usually a light orange color as k-meta will leach the nice red color out of it. Color also depends on the quality and ripeness of the fruit. Of all the strawberry wines that I have made (80+ gallons so far), only 1 batch turned out a very pretty red color. That batch I did with very overripe berries that were destined for jam. I also used about 35# for a 6 gallon batch.

appleman said:
The color is ok, but take the safety pins out to be safe. Just tie the bag in a loose knot. That's all I ever do with them and it works fine.

I would have to agree with that. Here's a pic of mine from two days ago right after I racked, degassed and added Super Kleer:

DSCF0422.jpg

And this is from about 15 minutes ago:

stby.jpg

The color of mine is also a bit "orange". I'd say you're progressing just fine. Keep it up! Not long and you'll have one of the best homemade wines that man can make. It's been my experience that it is almost impossible to make a bad strawberry wine.

No pull them out and tie the bag. I promise the bags feelings wont be hurt. I use new panty hose so I can just throw them away. They are only 33 cents a pair at walmart.

Scubaman2151 said:
Is it too late to take the pins out? Or have they already hurt the wine?

Scuba

No, it's not too late. Just pull them and remember to give it a dose of K-meta after the secondary fermentation is done. Based on the size of the batch in relation to the size of the pins, I wouldn't worry too much about any "metallic flavor" being imparted into the wine either. Just take Bobby McFerrin's advise. Don't worry, be happy!

Cheers..to Strawberry Wine...

strawberrySmall-1.jpg

This one had Red Grape Concentrate in it...Has a deep rich color and a deep rich flavor....

Cheers to all Strawberry wine!!!!

Back