Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size jug is that you are using dc?
Sure has a beautiful color to the must.

20080214_074405_LargeMouthJug.jpg

That jug looks alot like one I have.
It was given to me by my elderly mother when she 'downsized' her living space.
She used it as a decorative craft item.
Inside was dirt, fake vegitation, little animals, etc.
Somthin perdy to look at ..... in her opinion.

It must have been intended for that purpose, because it has two small 'feet' pushing out the glass to make it stable as it rests on its side.

It was just sitting in storage until I saw this thread, and a light bulb came on!
I grabbed it, emptied it, and washed it off.
I dumped in a capfull of Iodophor, and started adding measured gallons of water.

It's 5 gallons when full.
I would call this a fine 5 gal primary fermenter.
It should work excellent for a 3 gal batch!Edited by: Lloyd

Well guys the chemicals just came in the mail today :). I am going to go to the store tonight and get the strawberries and I will try to start this in the next day or two.

On the pectic enzyme it says to add it about 1 hour before fermentation, should I go by this or can I just add it when I add the rest of the chemicals?

dc: your wine looks pretyt good keep us updated on how it is coming along.

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

I am using Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast as the recipe calls for. Should I hydrate the yeast before I put it into the must? If so, how?

Scuba

Scubaman2151 said:
I am using Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast as the recipe calls for. Should I hydrate the yeast before I put it into the must? If so, how?

Scuba

I added my Yeast Nutrient to it, waited on day then pitched the yeast to it. Has been going strong ever since. I didn't Hydrate the yeast before. I guess mostly cause I don't know how and it didn't say to.

Thanks waldo, it is a mason 2.5 gal circa 1949. I got it from my grandmother before she died.

I used ec1118 yeast in mine and I put the nutrient in with the other stuff the day before I dropped the yeast.

The color is a wonderful red. I guess from all the sqeezing I gave them berries. Now do I need to pull the pulp out when I rack over to the secondary?

Colored yarn is fine if it don't get in the must, as you don't want yarn fuzz in your teeth when drinking your wine.
smiley36.gif
Are you guys using Dole brand strawberrys, as there was 2.5 lb packages in my local store for $7 and change. Tomy

Tomy said:
Colored yarn is fine if it don't get in the must, as you don't want yarn fuzz in your teeth when drinking your wine.
smiley36.gif
Are you guys using Dole brand strawberrys, as there was 2.5 lb packages in my local store for $7 and change. Tomy

Yeah I used Dole. It was the only kind at my store so kinda had too.

I used a cheap pair of knee high panty hose. 50 cent at family dollar. Sulfite and dry out.

The strawberries was an organic brand 2 lbs for 4.00, on sale. SoI put 4 lbs in this recipe.

Here is a pic from today.
20080214_154422_005_-_Copy_320x.JPG

Heres a pic of what I got now.

StrawberryWine.jpg

Will the concentrate work that I got? It say"From concentrated juice cocktail". I check the ingredients and there wasn't any potassium in there at all.Edited by: Scubaman2151

I have used the white grape concentrate 100% juice in a couple recipes....The pure juice ones havea colored cap....I'm sure what you have will work fine too.

Can I use colored yarn to tie the bag shut or do I need to use somthing else. Also the recipe says then when I transfer to secondary I should top up to 1 gal as needed. I thought I should make sure I have 1 gal to start with, right?

Scuba

I wouldnt use yarn but take the panty hose and tie it using itself. If you start it at 1 gallon then when you rack off sediment ou will be short and that is why when making a fruit wine that you start off with more than 1 gallon.

All my fruit wines start out with more volume than needed to fill the carboys....Then in the end..after racking and using your extra small topping off bottles...You have a full batch of finished wine.

Im not using panty hose, im using that nylon paint straning bag. Would a zip tie work or would that plastic interfere with the wine?

Scuba

Back