Star Sans / K-meta Pros and Cons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good, clean, drinkable water is considered sanitary. If there is any doubt about your water supply, don't rinse with it AND DON'T MAKE YOUR WINE WITH IT, EITHER.

The problem is that most municipal water supplies, while perfectly safe for human consumption, still have fair levels of microrganisms in them. On top of that, many chlorinate their water, which ads another compound that is not friendly to winemaking.

This is not an indictment of how you or anyone else cleans their stuff, and it will certainly vary depending on where one gets their water from, just IMHO its not a "generally" good idea to rinse after sanitizing for most folks. :)

Can you provide more information on this? I haven't been able to find any documents that indicate that k-meta would have this effect on plastic.

Here's some information with references:

A) STORAGE OF POTASSIUM METABISULPHITE SO2 is able to pass through some plastics; therefore, the powder is best stored in tightly closed glass containers, not in plastic baggies or vials. If it becomes damp, it will soon change to potassium sulphate, which is completely useless. Even if not damp it decays. It is best to buy a new supply every few months and use the old for sanitizing equipment. S12.

http://www.allergiesasthmahelp.com/asthma-faq/mini-faq-for-sulphite-1398300.html

B) Sulfiting agents producing sulfur dioxide when used to treat foods include sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite, potassium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, and potassium metabisulfite. All are generally corrosive to food-processing equipment.

http://events.nace.org/library/corrosion/FoodIndustry/Food-corrosion.asp

I don't think this applies to all plastics, but determining which ones would take much analysis. For example, I believe food grade plastic would be OK, but I'm not certain.

Tony P.

Here's some information with references:

A) STORAGE OF POTASSIUM METABISULPHITE SO2 is able to pass through some plastics; therefore, the powder is best stored in tightly closed glass containers, not in plastic baggies or vials. If it becomes damp, it will soon change to potassium sulphate, which is completely useless. Even if not damp it decays. It is best to buy a new supply every few months and use the old for sanitizing equipment. S12.

http://www.allergiesasthmahelp.com/asthma-faq/mini-faq-for-sulphite-1398300.html

B) Sulfiting agents producing sulfur dioxide when used to treat foods include sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite, potassium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, and potassium metabisulfite. All are generally corrosive to food-processing equipment.

http://events.nace.org/library/corrosion/FoodIndustry/Food-corrosion.asp

I don't think this applies to all plastics, but determining which ones would take much analysis. For example, I believe food grade plastic would be OK, but I'm not certain.

Tony P.

I think food grade plastic is fine if I am reading this right.

http://k-mac-plastics.net/data sheets/hdpe-chemical-resistance.htm

I think food grade plastic is fine if I am reading this right.

http://k-mac-plastics.net/data%20sheets/hdpe-chemical-resistance.htm

I believe you are. I buy my KMBS in bulk and it comes in small plastic drums so there clearly are plastics that are impervious to it.

Also I use deep sided (plastic) photo-processing trays to clean gear. There are tons of them around, usually pretty cheap. They are designed to be chemically resistant and I've had no problems with the ones I use.

I use kmeta w/citric acid to reduce the pH making it release fumes better and provide better contact effectiveness. I mix 1/2g at a time and store it in plastic and a plastic spray bottle for months.

A/O testing tells me that I'm not not losing strength/effectiveness even over periods of several months. My sinuses confirm the results of this testing.

I also make SO2 additions from a solution stored in glass. I periodically 'standardize' this solution via A/O and have found minimal loss of free SO2 over extended periods.

YMMV

From the last several posts it appears obvious K-meta can maintain potency under certain circumstances. I've suggested WineMakingTalk organize a study of this so we may someday have authoritative information.

Tony P

From the last several posts it appears obvious K-meta can maintain potency under certain circumstances. I've suggested WineMakingTalk organize a study of this so we may someday have authoritative information.

Tony P

WMT is a web forum, not a person. As such, it would be hard for 'WMT' to organize anything. My suggestion is that YOU devise a test scenario, execute the testing and post results. At a minimum, you'll get feedback on your process. You might even get others to repeat your testing and post results to inform on repeatability.

Well put Bob. To add to this and whats been said above, plastic jugas for storing pre mixed sulfite is not a great idea. Ive personally had the sulfite eat through 2 of those jugs before I switched to glass.

WMT is a web forum, not a person. As such, it would be hard for 'WMT' to organize anything. My suggestion is that YOU devise a test scenario, execute the testing and post results. At a minimum, you'll get feedback on your process. You might even get others to repeat your testing and post results to inform on repeatability.

Bob, thanks for your input. It really furthered everyone's wine making knowledge.

To paraphrase Mitt, web forums are people. My wording was like saying political parties organize fundraisers or the 5th grade organized a field trip. It's called personification. Glad to help.

Tony P

Bob, thanks for your input. It really furthered everyone's wine making knowledge.

To paraphrase Mitt, web forums are people. My wording was like saying political parties organize fundraisers or the 5th grade organized a field trip. It's called personification. Glad to help.

Tony P

You're welcome. I'm anxiuosly awaiting the results of your analysis!

So basically star san is superior to sanitize with and k meta should be used for bottle sanitization. If using a Bottle Rinser (Sulfiter) with k meta, do the bottles have to be rinsed? k meta is added to wine already so I cant imagine having to rinse them out with such a small amount being in the bottle.

So basically star san is superior to sanitize with and k meta should be used for bottle sanitization. If using a Bottle Rinser (Sulfiter) with k meta, do the bottles have to be rinsed? k meta is added to wine already so I cant imagine having to rinse them out with such a small amount being in the bottle.

Right, don't rinse. Just let it drain upside down.

Latest posts

Back