K-Meta / Star San

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some folks say Star San loses its potency when it gets cloudy and definitely when the ph is above 3.0. Does K-Meta loose its sanitation properties after using it multiple times? If so what are the indicators?

Take a really deep sniff of the K-meta -- if you're still alive afterward, it's gone bad. 🤣

Just kidding. NEVER sniff deeply of any chemical.

I continue to use mine as long as it stinks. Or when the gallon jug gets down below half full, or it looks ugly. I've kept K-meta solution as long as a year, but in general I replace it every 6 months.

AFAIK, there is not a definitive test. But your nose knows.

The cloudy StarSan is associated with minerals in the water I think. It's usually best to mix up your Starsan in distilled water. Then it can last for months and you don't have to worry about it.

Mine is a bit cloudy here if I use tap water to mix, and I generally would not use the same "batch" above 1 weekend. StarSan is cheap and plentiful. No reason really to worry about storing it mixed up. If I start a wine making day, my first step is mixing up a couple of gallons in Distilled water.

Latest posts

Back