Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Anyone here making this stuff? It has exploded on some other forums and this is the label I will use when I get around to making myself a batch soon.
20100601_225727_mosquito.jpg

Its like a hard lemonade.  You make it from Lemon juice, but pitch it over a yeast slurry of a previous batch of wine.  Heard its good.  Haven't tried it yet.

Skeeter Pee

I've been making a version of this for a couple of years now, kinda glad I just called
it hard lemonade! Here is the label I use and I just adjust it to what ever leftovers it gets dumped onto.

20100602_075356_2008_Hard_Lemon.jpg

That sounds good, summer is a coming. Think dandelion slurry would be a good start or cherry or raspberry...

Here's the recipeeeee...

Created by Lon DePoppe - St. James, MN

<DIV ="Normal">
The original, inexpensive, quick, easy to make, easy to drink, naturally fermented, lemon, hot-weather, thirst quencher.

For a 5 gallon batch

3 bottles of 32oz 100% lemon juice (e.g ReaLemon in the green plastic bottles or equivalent)
7 lbs sugar (or 16 cups)
3/4 tsp tannin
6 tsp. yeast nutrient

2 tsp. yeast energizer

Approx, 4 ¾ gallons water

Yeast Slurry

Potassium metabisulfite (Kmeta)

Potassium sorbate (sorbate)

Sparkolloid

Many people have difficulty getting lemonade to ferment. This is due, I believe, to several factors. The high acidity, the lack of natural nutrients, and preservatives that are often included in the lemon juice. Therefore, I do whatever I can to assist the process.

I use reverse osmosis water (this is by choice and tap water should work fine since much of the chlorine should evaporate out during the initial steps). Make invert sugar by adding your 16 cups sugar to a large stainless cooking pot along with 8 cups water and 14 teaspoons lemon juice. Stir sugar to dissolve and heat to just below boiling while stirring. Hold at this temperature for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and pour it into your primary along with 2 of the bottles of the lemon juice (reserve the last bottle until later), and enough additional water to make 5 ½ gallons. Add the tannin, 3 tsp. of the yeast nutrient and 1 tsp. of the yeast energizer. Stir.

Test S.G with hydrometer and record. I shoot for an SG of around 1.07 which yields a beverage of around 10% alcohol if it ferments dry. Vigorously beat the mixture with a wire whip for a couple of minutes to introduce oxygen and purge it of artificial preservatives. I then cover the bucket with a dish towel and let the sit for 24 to 48 hours.

After 24-48 hours, give it another quick whip and then pour in yeast slurry from the first rack of another batch of wine. It sometimes takes a while, but you should have active fermentation within a couple of days. It helps to keep this must warm (70-80 degrees). You may need to occasionally whip in some additional oxygen with the whip if fermentation seems to be progressing slowly.

Periodically check the gravity. When it gets down to around 1.05, add the other 3 tsp of nutrient the second tsp of energizer, and the last bottle of lemon juice; vigorously mix it in. Don’t be afraid to introduce some oxygen to the mix at the same time. This late addition of yeast food and oxygen helps reduce the likelihood of your batch developing a sulfur-dioxide problem. (Because of the high acidity and low nutrition, lemon has a higher propensity to developing the sulfur-dioxide rotten egg smell.) After a couple of days, you can rack into a clean, sanitized carboy.

Allow the Pee to ferment dry and for fermentation to stop. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have the equipment). Add ¼ tsp Kmeta, 2 ½ tsp sorbate, and sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

Notes:

1.I don’t call this “hard lemonade” because too many people have tried the commercial versions and they tend to make a mental impression of what it’s going to taste like before trying it. When it doesn’t taste just like the commercial versions (which are usually 5% alcohol, lemon flavored malt beverages) they conclude that it’s a poor reproduction. This stuff isn’t a reproduction; it’s the original home-style without the big marketing budget and price tag. Please be advised that you need to keep an eye on those you serve this to. Because it drinks easily on a hot day and the alcohol is about double that of commercial hard lemonades and beer, it is easy to accidentally over consume; it sneaks up on you real fast.

2.This beverage will often take on flavor characteristics of the wine that donates the yeast slurry, keep this in mind when deciding which flavors will blend well with lemon.

3.You want to use a healthy yeast slurry to start your batch. If the slurry is coming from wine that is being pushed to high alcohol levels, it’s possible the slurry is suffering from the effects of alcohol poisoning. Therefore, it’s best if the slurry is used while it is still part of an active ferment.

4.You may have noticed that you start with 5 ½ gallons of must and this is a recipe for 5 gallons. This is because you’ll be leaving a bit more sediment behind at your first racking. Remember that you’re adding the slurry from a previous batch and it will be left behind along with the sediment created by the Skeeter Pee.

5.If you aren’t in a hurry, Skeeter Pee will often fall clear without the Sparkolloid (as long as you’ve done a good job of degassing). My batches often clear in 30 to 45 days without fining.

6.There’s no need to age this beverage. It tastes great soon after bottling. Serve chilled.

I just add already made organic lemonade (from the grocery store) to the slurry. Make sure the SG is on target, add some nutrients, when finished stabilize, sweeten, bottle and enjoy. I let mine sit for a bit, but they are ready to drink right away.

Hi all

I've got a batch in the carboy now and hoping to put into jugs on the 4th of July weekend. I'm looking forward to it for our weeklong camp out in the sun. I didn't have a slurry I wanted to use so made my own starter and it seems so have worked fine, boy is it yellow. I got the same response from the girls about the "Pee" thing. Especially since we had a dog named skeeter... I'll have to think of somethin... "Hair-o-Dog Lemonaid"..?

Both those labels look great, that's something I've got to try soon. I've got a Cab-Merlot to bottle this weekend and will starta BVP today (with coconut Rum, thanks for the the idea vcasey).... so I'll be needing labels...

If you use the slurry from a five gallon batch, can I start with a one to three gallon batch of skeeter pee? Or would that be too much starter?

Redmust said:
Hi all

I've got a batch in the carboy now and hoping to put into jugs on the 4th of July weekend. I'm looking forward to it for our weeklong camp out in the sun. I didn't have a slurry I wanted to use so made my own starter and it seems so have worked fine, boy is it yellow. I got the same response from the girls about the "Pee" thing. Especially since we had a dog named skeeter... I'll have to think of somethin... "Hair-o-Dog Lemonaid"..?

Both those labels look great, that's something I've got to try soon. I've got a Cab-Merlot to bottle this weekend and will starta BVP today (with coconut Rum, thanks for the the idea vcasey).... so I'll be needing labels...

I like Hair-O-Dog and use a pic of your dog on the label.
We are about out of the coconut rum half and maybe making more soon, but I'm going to stall long enough for them to continue the dent they are making in my hard lemonade supply.

boozinsusan said:
If you use the slurry from a five gallon batch, can I start with a one to three gallon batch of skeeter pee? Or would that be too much starter?

Never too much starter. You'll be fine.

vcasey said:
boozinsusan said:

Never too much starter. You'll be fine.

I agree with vcasey. I start the slurry and keep adding to it as it ferments until I have at least a good quart going and then add it to the must.

Thanks! I think this will be made with some strawberry/rhubarb slurry.

I am so excited for my first whole season of collecting fruits and recipes!

Just remember that it can take on some color from the slurry so be aware of that.

I usually have about a quart of lees when I make mind, sometimes a quart and a half, all depends on the fruit I am using. I have made this with a blackberry slurry, raspberry slurry, elderberry (quite a few times) and a pear slurry. Yes it will take on the color of the slurry. All in all every batch just does not last long. So once you bottle one batch, make another. It is a great summertime drink

Also wondering - I will be racking some hard lemonade this weekend. Think I could/should use that for the slurry for skeeter pee?

I would think it will do just fine. I also think a good starter would work as well. Mix up a couple tablespoons of table sugar, maybe a pinch of nutrient and energizer as well, and dissolve in 500 ml of boiling water. Let cool and pitch your yeast, cover, and in 24-48 hours you will have a running head start.

Anyone have an idea on what the starting acidity should be?

I was just given a gallon of mixed lemon- lime-ade with the sugar already in it.

Don't have any lees right now. Should I just freeze it and thaw out when I get my next batch of something out of the primary?

I can check it for SG and I am aiming for something closer to 6 or 7% than 10% so I am probably not planning to add any additional sugar until bottling.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Back