Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked, degassed, Stabilized, added Camden tablets and clearing Agents to the Skeeter Pee last night. It's already starting to clear.

Gave a quick taste test.
smiley11.gif
Didn't taste all that great... Just tasted like Lemon Juice. Then it downed on me...it's not been back sweetened yet!
smiley9.gif

So now I'll wait for it to clear, so I can rack, back sweeten
smiley2.gif
and taste it in it's true glory!

Matt

Have you sweetened yet 2020?

Tasted mine a kind of like it how it is, might not sweeten??????

What part are you not too fond of? Hopefully it will come around, maybe aquire a taste?

Did not sweeten mine last night just racked and liked it how it was, tartish.

It just has an off taste to it. The lemon is there, but something else just doesn't seem right...hard to explain. Maybe it's the concord/lemon mix or maybe just an aquied taste...we'll see.

We might go get some strawberry concentrate and add that to it. See if the strawberry/lemon flavor takes away from the taste.

I just made this with 10 minutemaid lemonades ,1 lb of dry malt extract and 1118 yeast. Like a lot of my citrus wines it has an unpleasant smell to it.I couldn't call it sulfur but that's probably cause the lemon masks it.I tried some violent rackings and power degassing and the scent disipated by 90%. Living in the midst of citrus country,I would like to overcome this H2S issue. Any insights?

Sorry, but I am only reading this now. Don't get here often.
smiley6.gif

I made some hard lemonade last summer. I added DME to mine too, and I think that is what made it stay cloudy. Skeeter pee doesn't have malt exract in it - but the recipes for hard lemonade do have DME.

That is what Ithink the difference is(and the different methods too - skeeter pee has many more steps) between the two.

Even after using sparkalloid, it was not clear two weeks later. I just bottled mine, thinking that the brand name of hard lemonade is not all that clear either.

How did yours turn out? I backsweetened with a strawberry f-pak. It was yummy.

I didnt do a good yeast starter until I noticed it was struggling. An off flavor I suspect was H2S took muchas stirring and spilling thru a copper chore boy stuffed funnel to reach an acceptable taste. I see it did finally clear but not to a sparkling crystal. I have copper sulfate but could not bring myself to put something marked poison into a drink to give to friends.(not a lot of them left as it is.)Your strawberry F pack would have worked great,I used simple sugar and it's just OK. But one hot night in Florida we'll find some tasters.

Back