single gallon equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to wine making, and I've only done kits. I'm thinking of trying something different, something simple. Maybe from a frozen concentrate. Only a gallon size rather than trying a 'from scratch' recipe making 5 or 6 gallons (I may not like it or it may not turn out). My question is this... where do you find a single gallon primarly or secondary? What do you use? Is it okay to use a 6 gallon primary with only 1 gallon of must?

Thanks again for your infinite knowledge and the willingness to share it ;o)

Danj, a lot of folks make gallon batches. I made one once and won't do it again. It turned out fantastic. I only got a few bottles and have to wait forever for the next batch. Fron now on it'll only be 5 or 6 gallons for me. I would rather dump a bad six than make a great one and have to wait forever for more. It no more labor nut a lot more wine in my eyes.

Dani:

I picked up some free 3 gallon plastic pails from a local ice cream shop. Work well as primaries for small batches, cleaning buckets, and other things.

Just a brief reminder when looking at recipes, and equipment. There are three gallons...

1. US gallon. 3.78 litres
2. Imperial gallon. 4.54 litres
3. Approximate gallon. 4 litres

Steve

Thanks, I definitely see your point there Running Wolf... maybe I will reconsider. I feel kinda stuck, I don't really want to try another kit just yet. I'm ready to stretch my wings and take this hobby to the next step. i just don't know where to start.

I pretty much do 1gl batches exclusively. I start with about 6qt and ferment in a 3gl carboy. That gives me a full gallon jug with extra for topping up.

I agree with making 1 gallon batches is a lot of work for just one gallon and the cost difference isnt really worth the extra trouble. 3 gallons is as small as Ill ever go but having 1 gallon jugs is a good idea for excess when making batches of fruit wine and to make a little extra for topping off later. Id go with at least 3 gallon batches myself. It doesnt matter what size primary you are using as long as there is plenty of room for the fermentation. Secondary vessels is another story and once the fermentation is over you need to have this vessel full. If you are looking for 1 gallon jugs Id just buy a gallon of wine that you like at a wine store, drink and then you have this. Youll need a # 6 bung, If here is no wine you like ina gallon jug then you can get new gallon jugs in the link below.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5190C

Yes Danj Wade is correct. He has switched from doing one gallon batches to using the bottles for excess wine now. He was a tough cookie to crack but he's starting to pay attention to me now. He is really progressing along now since I've been by his side. Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks Wade, Duh.... I didn't even think of using the gallon jugs that some wines come in. It shouldn't be too hard to find one that i like, (there aren't many, lol)

You wouldn't want to use a large primary for a gallon batch as you'll have to always draw out a sample to take a reading. A 3 gallon will work fine and always try to make a little more for topping off. Save or get some magnum bottles as they come in handy as well as the bottles you will put your wine in. You will need different sizes of bungs.

A 1 gallon batch might be good if you can't get enough ingredients as in dandelion wine etc. I prefer 6 gallon batches to give me a good 5 1/2 gallons in the end.

I use to do one gallon batches all the time. I buy gallon jugs from a local farmers market (the guy sells cider in them and gives out free tastings) The jugs are a buck each and a #6 stopper fits perfectly.

The advantage of doing a gallon is that you don't have to throw out but one gallon if you mess something up. I did this once when I was just starting and I pretty much knew that it was going to turn to crap. Search dumb mead ideas by Davidb and you may see my post. Dang that was not smart. Anyway, the major disadvantage of doing a gallon is that when you have something good (which is more often than not) a gallon doesn't last very long. The first strawberry I did was in a gallon jug and one gallon was not nearly enough of that wonderful deliciousness! Wished and still wish that I had made 5 or more gallons. Waiting on strawberry season now so I can go for 10 gallons or more!

Don't be scared to go with something bigger. I have found that most of the time, 5 gallons at a time is not nearly enough!

Dani,
Make urself a batch of skeeter pee. The ingrediants are easy to find, it is easier than starting with fruit. And if you like lemonaid, it is really really good. The recipe is on here or find Lons site. Take care and good luck.

I agree with making 1 gallon batches is a lot of work for just one gallon and the cost difference isnt really worth the extra trouble. ...

As CJJ Berry says, "It takes little more effort to make 5 gallons as it does to make 1 gallon, and it lasts nearly twice as long!"

you can go to any Sam's club or most any bakery in any of the local grocery stores and ask for empty 2 and 5 gallon buckets most will have more than what you need for free. Lids and all only thnig is you'll need to make your own hole for the bung to go in if useing as a secondary. note it's not hard at all to do.

Dani,

Not that I want to sound unsupportive, but why waste you time and money?

I doubt that you can find high quality wine grape juice sold in a one gallon amounts. This means (and I think that you may even have mentioned this in your opening statement) that you must intend on using concentrate or canned juice from a grocery store (shuddering at the thought). One of the first rules of making good wine is to start with good grapes. "drinking" juice is not (IMO) high quality. You will also have to deal with the fact that there are additives and preservatives that can make fermentation difficult.

Also, please keep in mind that you are going to have to deal with sediment and racking. Whatever you store your wine in needs to be full with as little air as possible. after the wien ferments, you meed to "top" off with something. In other words, you will need to make more than just one gallon.

I am not trying to critisize your attempt, or burst your bubble. I just can't see your attempt as worth while. Go with the 5-6 gallon approach and feel happy that you are doing what you can to ensure a great result.

johnT.

It's not hard to do at all. Here's my batches in secondary using 1 gallon, 4 liter and magnums. 5 gallon batches would take me a long time to drink and I like variety so my 1 gallon batches work fine for me. I find I like the Carlo Rossi 4 liter bottles that I find in recycling bins. They are almost clear with a nice light green tint. My emptied Taylor Sangria magnum bottles get reused to bottle my wine.
:b
Larry

Wine P1 10 22 10 003.jpg

Magnum bottles  10 22 10.jpg

4 liter Carlo Rossi bottle  10 22 10.jpg

Dani,
This means (and I think that you may even have mentioned this in your opening statement) that you must intend on using concentrate or canned juice from a grocery store (shuddering at the thought). One of the first rules of making good wine is to start with good grapes. "drinking" juice is not (IMO) high quality. You will also have to deal with the fact that there are additives and preservatives that can make fermentation difficult.

johnT.

I have to admit that I have heard of some folks making decent wine from store juice. Also I think its a great way for experimenting and learning processes. I used store bought Apple Juice as a base for my Jalapeno wine. A lot of other folks use Welches White Grape Juice concentrate as a base for other wines they are making. I like to start out with at least a six gallon carboy and then sometimes split it up between two three gallon carboys after fermentation for different experiments and results.

I have to admit that I have heard of some folks making decent wine from store juice. Also I think its a great way for experimenting and learning processes. I used store bought Apple Juice as a base for my Jalapeno wine. A lot of other folks use Welches White Grape Juice concentrate as a base for other wines they are making. I like to start out with at least a six gallon carboy and then sometimes split it up between two three gallon carboys after fermentation for different experiments and results.

I hear you wolf. I guess that there is no harm in trying. I am just very doubious about using Welches.

Making larger batches is a more efficient use of time and labor. That being said, unless you're doing kits, there's no reason you have to make batches of a certain size. Back in August, I crushed and pressed my chardonel grapes, and divided the juice into 6qt freezer containers.

I hear you wolf. I guess that there is no harm in trying. I am just very doubious about using Welches.

I've made some pretty darn good wine from Welch's Niagra, Concord and Black/Concord juices.

Latest posts

Back