single gallon equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done gallon batches in the past (mead, tropical breeze) and I have used welches grape as a base also, however that being said, I would prefer to do a minimum of a 3 gallon batch. Not saying I won't do a gallon batch, but the effort is the same for both so why not go a little larger. You can always rack it from your primary into gallon jugs if you didn't want to purchase a 3 gallon carboy right now.

the welches white grape/peach frozen concentrate makes a good wine but you need to use 3 cans per gallon for good flavor. I have 3, 6,10, 20, &32 gallon fermintrers yet every once in a while I make 1 gallon batches to play around with. I probably have about 30 1gal jugs for various uses. Hey if you want to do small batches go for it it is your wine.:db:db

Make a gallon of pumpkin wine. It's inexpensive and you can pick up the pumpkin mix now on sale.

I've made some pretty darn good wine from Welch's Niagra, Concord and Black/Concord juices.

I am sure you can come up with something that is more or less drinkable. That being said, which would you rather have... Wine fermented using high quality wine grapes (or juice) or wine fermented from Welches Grape Juice. I think that most everyone would choose the wine grapes!

You can go ahead and call me a "grape snob" if you want to.

I am sure you can come up with something that is more or less drinkable. That being said, which would you rather have... Wine fermented using high quality wine grapes (or juice) or wine fermented from Welches Grape Juice. I think that most everyone would choose the wine grapes!

You can go ahead and call me a "grape snob" if you want to.

Keep in mind the gallon batches may also be a fruit wine that someone may want to "Try" before they make a large batch. I made a batch of Tropical Breeze from frozen fruit that I would say was quite good. My opinion only.

I would not put someone down for wanting to try wine from a grape juice or fruit concentrate just because you, yourself, wouldn't dream of it. That comes off sounding coundescending and as you said snobbish.

To each is own, we make wine to suit our own tastes and if someone wants to experiment, so be it. You may acutally be surprised at the results.

I would not put someone down for wanting to try wine from a grape juice or fruit concentrate just because you, yourself, wouldn't dream of it. That comes off sounding coundescending and as you said snobbish.

I was not trying to put anyone down, just stating a simple fact. Wine made from quality wine grapes or wine grape juice will be more likely to produce a better wine. Just think of how many professional wineries that use grape concentrate or Welches Grape juice. I can't think of a single one.

If you are trying to answer a question of "I wonder what it would be like", then I say go for it. In the end, however, if choosing between Welches and quality wine grape juice, I still say that most would choose the wine grape juice.

This is my oninion as far as wine from grapes.

I have 3 and 6 gallon carboys, but I'll be starting a 1g batch of autumn olive soon. I would do 6g, but I'm not sure what it will turn out like.

I hope I end up wishing I had made 6 ;-)

Dani,

Not that I want to sound unsupportive, but why waste you time and money?

I doubt that you can find high quality wine grape juice sold in a one gallon amounts. This means (and I think that you may even have mentioned this in your opening statement) that you must intend on using concentrate or canned juice from a grocery store (shuddering at the thought). One of the first rules of making good wine is to start with good grapes. "drinking" juice is not (IMO) high quality. You will also have to deal with the fact that there are additives and preservatives that can make fermentation difficult.

Also, please keep in mind that you are going to have to deal with sediment and racking. Whatever you store your wine in needs to be full with as little air as possible. after the wine ferments, you meed to "top" off with something. In other words, you will need to make more than just one gallon.

I am not trying to criticize your attempt, or burst your bubble. I just can't see your attempt as worth while. Go with the 5-6 gallon approach and feel happy that you are doing what you can to ensure a great result.

johnT.

Thank you john for your opinion. First off, I have no bubble to pop... I'm pretty laid back and deflated LOL. Seriously no offense taken ;o)
But there must be some value in it, many people make one gallon batches.

I agree, if I wanted to make a good grape wine, I'd use good grapes or a premium kit. I had in mind more of a fruit wine or a sweet patio drink; not a 'good wine'. I'd like to wet my feet on making a 'from scratch' fruit wine in a small batch.
Maybe I could do 6 different wines at once in one gallon batches just to try different wines.

After all I'd rather try something and decide that it's not for me, than never to try it at all.

Dani,
Make urself a batch of skeeter pee. The ingredients are easy to find, it is easier than starting with fruit. And if you like lemonaid, it is really really good. The recipe is on here or find Lons site. Take care and good luck.
Hey Arne,
Skeeter Pee is on my list to do, I have a batch of Reisling on order and i plan on using that for a start. We're throwing a party this spring and I'd like to have plenty of Pee on hand! (that didn't sound right LOL)

Last edited:
Just started a one gallon batch of pumpkin. Will see how this works. Not to steal the thread, but what's all this I'm reading about 2 years?? I can't wait two years before I drink this! How bout if I substitute this for two minutes?

Just started a one gallon batch of pumpkin. Will see how this works. Not to steal the thread, but what's all this I'm reading about 2 years?? I can't wait two years before I drink this! How bout if I substitute this for two minutes?

LOL! Your palate buddy! I'd like to know if its any good though. I have some requests for pumpkin, but I prefer my pumpkin in a pie!

hey as far as making small batches of regular wine I have made wine from store bought green seedless table grapes, friend of mine who gets all their wine from california when they go out tried it and said it was as good as any they'd had in fact wanted to know if I was gonna start making it to sell. I told them I only did small amounts they said to let them know if I ever made large amounts to sell. LOL

I have found you can drink the Pee early, but if it ages just a little more it is actually better. Get a batch made to try and iffn ya like it, make a bigger batch. You can start it without using the lees, just make a good starter with your favorite yeast. The next batch if you use lees from something else will have just a little different flavor. Takes a little flavor off the mother wine. Take care, Arne.

I have several small batches going. Most are only 1/2 gal. Geives you a good feel of what big batches you'd like to try later! Sirs I'm gonna have to try the seedless table grapes, I've always got some around spoiling! Any tips on those?

Thank you john for your opinion. First off, I have no bubble to pop... I'm pretty laid back and deflated LOL. Seriously no offense taken ;o)
But there must be some value in it, many people make one gallon batches.

I agree, if I wanted to make a good grape wine, I'd use good grapes or a premium kit. I had in mind more of a fruit wine or a sweet patio drink; not a 'good wine'. I'd like to wet my feet on making a 'from scratch' fruit wine in a small batch.
Maybe I could do 6 different wines at once in one gallon batches just to try different wines.

After all I'd rather try something and decide that it's not for me, than never to try it at all.

Dani,

I see what you mean. If something you try does not work out, then why risk being stuck with 2 cases of wine you do not like. I once made the mistake of making 500 liters of a white blend (in 1999) that ended up undrinkable. Never again. I now do test demijohns (54 liters) first and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go big on a grape I know nothing about.

Let me know how it turns out. I am a bit of a snob (admittedly) and should be more open minded. It is just that I come from a long line of Europeans and have been brought up to believe that you do not make spaghetti out of ketchup, and do not make wine out of Welches grape juice.

I have to admit that I might give it a try myself if I did not firmly believe that I would never get another good night's sleep. The sound of all of my ancestors rolling in their graves would keep me up at night.:h

I'm gonna have to try the seedless table grapes, I've always got some around spoiling! Any tips on those?

I have heard that these (especially Thompson) don't make good wine. That's why they are so cheap in the stores. Probably a lack of sugar.

Latest posts

Back