Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't install treads, those are "good luck navigating this after a bottle of wine" steps ....

Treads come last. Out there at 7 a.m. to place the risers, then mark and dig the footer. It was 75 when I walked out the door. When I came back in sweat drenched at 9 a.m., it was 85. Currently 96. Tomorrow early morning I hope to do the last bit of stuff before the concrete gets bought, mixed and poured. That will be a big day.

I received a question, asking why there is an electrical transformer in my front yard, so I'll explain.

About 40 years ago a developer purchased a tract with the intention of building a subdivision, e.g., in the USA, a group of homes. He paved the roads and cleared one lot to build a spec house, and then went bankrupt.

A few years pass and another developer purchases the tract, and my wife & I are first ones in. She really likes the lot that was originally cleared, so we chose that one. The only potential problem is Carolina Plunder & Loot AKA Carolina Power & Light (power company) had installed a transformer at the corner of the spec lot. Zoning had changed and the entire plot layout was changed, so now the transformer is in the middle of our lot.

Our builder contacts CP&L and asks them to move the transformer, as it's in the middle of where our driveway will be.

CP&L complies ... moving it a full 15' (4.5 meters). Yeah, it's no longer in the middle of the driveway ... another 15' would be nice, or better yet, 50' in the other direction.

Oh, well, we simply planted bushes in front of it. If anything happens to it, I'm going to nag Duke Energy (CP&L has been purchased twice since we moved in) to put the new one in a better location.

99143-6534535015c7927d9b79d0310a976d08.png

I received a question, asking why there is an electrical transformer in my front yard, so I'll explain.

About 40 years ago a developer purchased a tract with the intention of building a subdivision, e.g., in the USA, a group of homes. He paved the roads and cleared one lot to build a spec house, and then went bankrupt.

A few years pass and another developer purchases the tract, and my wife & I are first ones in. She really likes the lot that was originally cleared, so we chose that one. The only potential problem is Carolina Plunder & Loot AKA Carolina Power & Light (power company) had installed a transformer at the corner of the spec lot. Zoning had changed and the entire plot layout was changed, so now the transformer is in the middle of our lot.

Our builder contacts CP&L and asks them to move the transformer, as it's in the middle of where our driveway will be.

CP&L complies ... moving it a full 15' (4.5 meters). Yeah, it's no longer in the middle of the driveway ... another 15' would be nice, or better yet, 50' in the other direction.

Oh, well, we simply planted bushes in front of it. If anything happens to it, I'm going to nag Duke Energy (CP&L has been purchased twice since we moved in) to put the new one in a better location.

View attachment 104018

Utilities, what can ya do? They get those rights of way, and that's that, they are KING. When we moved here, the ditch across the front of the farm had walls that were super steep in some places, which made mowing it with my rider hard. And it was rough. So I tilled it up and used a blade to smooth it down to a nice angle, then raked and reseeded it. Perfect. A year later, Mediacom trenched the area to lay new cables and it has been sort of a mess ever since where the trench overfill fell in.

Latest posts

Back