Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They love the heat! The more the better!

Mmm, might be time for some peppers on the charcoal grill. Have two "Big Jim" New Mexico pepper plants and an Utri for dried paprika in pots. About 15 fruits on the NM plants, most of the peppers are 6-8 inches long at this point, the biggest is 9". I tend to let them go until one of the peppers starts showing some darkness on the way to red, then I process them. If I feed the plant real well afterwards and keep it watered, I'll get a second batch in early October if the weather behaves.

View attachment 104173

View attachment 104174

Serious reply. We put this sh!t on/in everything here in the Southwest......

Any and all types of Mexican dishes (green and or red chile or both known also as Christmas). Enchiladas, stews, casseroles, chile rellenos, burritos, nachos. Put it into eggs for breakfast, on pizza, sandwiches, grilled cheese, mac-n-cheese. Its only limited by your imagination.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/hatch-chile-recipes/
You have to have them roasted as the outer skin is tough and not edible. Once roasted they put them into a large plastic bag and you take them home and let them "sweat" in the bag for a couple hours which helps to release the outer skin from the soft roasted inner pepper. After they cool you head to the sink and put on a pair of gloves. If you fail to do this you will be very very sorry as at some point you will touch your eyes or your private areas and you will be very very sorry you did not have gloves on......... You will cry.....

You can either peel the outer skin off now or later when you use them. Some folks believe they retain better flavor to leave the skins on before you put the into freezer bags for long term storage. Others will peel them now so they are more ready to go.

Some folks will buy 2,3,4,5 huge sacks (or large boxes these days) each Fall and use them all up basically in one 12 mo period.

In these parts once you have green chile (or red) enough times you acquire a taste for it so much you basically need a chile fix every week or so.

View attachment 104172

As luck would have it, I went to the local Kroger's affiliate this morning, and they had jen-yew-wine Hatch peppers (in bags marked hot or medium). I don't think Kroger's gets the cream of the crop, as when I bought them last year, they were quite mild. But hope springs eternal, so I snagged some.

Any and all types of Mexican dishes (green and or red chile or both known also as Christmas). Enchiladas, stews, casseroles, chile rellenos, burritos, nachos. Put it into eggs for breakfast, on pizza, sandwiches, grilled cheese, mac-n-cheese. Its only limited by your imagination.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/hatch-chile-recipes/
You have to have them roasted as the outer skin is tough and not edible. Once roasted they put them into a large plastic bag and you take them home and let them "sweat" in the bag for a couple hours which helps to release the outer skin from the soft roasted inner pepper. After they cool you head to the sink and put on a pair of gloves. If you fail to do this you will be very very sorry as at some point you will touch your eyes or your private areas and you will be very very sorry you did not have gloves on......... You will cry.....

You can either peel the outer skin off now or later when you use them. Some folks believe they retain better flavor to leave the skins on before you put the into freezer bags for long term storage. Others will peel them now so they are more ready to go.

Some folks will buy 2,3,4,5 huge sacks (or large boxes these days) each Fall and use them all up basically in one 12 mo period.

In these parts once you have green chile (or red) enough times you acquire a taste for it so much you basically need a chile fix every week or so.

View attachment 104172
I assume this is a wait in line to take a dozen home instead of get a quick feed then?

I am making notes. My next run might be eating my way around the US. Early August in New Mexico, and onward!

As luck would have it, I went to the local Kroger's affiliate this morning, and they had jen-yew-wine Hatch peppers (in bags marked hot or medium). I don't think Kroger's gets the cream of the crop, as when I bought them last year, they were quite mild. But hope springs eternal, so I snagged some.
This is an official request for proof!

Yep. Walk into any Southwestern McDonalds, even, and they have lots of little carry-all baskets filled with different hot sauces to take to your table. Plus, usually at least one version of a Jalapeno burger! 😍

Yep. Walk into any Southwestern McDonalds, even, and they have lots of little carry-all baskets filled with different hot sauces to take to your table. Plus, usually at least one version of a Jalapeno burger! 😍

In these parts its a green chile cheeseburger!

1691256359235.png

A dozen? LOL Oh he!! no. We are talking multiple 40lb boxes or burlap sacks for most customers. They are starting to sell 1lb bags of Hatch Green Chile all over the US in 1lb bags in the produce departments but most folks have no clue what to do with them or that they have to be roasted/peeled before eating. You can use a gas grill to roast them. Even an air fryer will work just fine for about 6 at a time.

They only way I can describe the smell is sorta like if you were at a Grateful Dead concert back in the 70's. LOL Very pungent but it somehow draws you in......... LOL

NM has begun to market Hatch (Chile capitol of NM and the world!) and have begun to sue/litigate anyone caught trying to pass off any Chile as Hatch Chile not actually grown in Hatch, NM or NM. There are quite a few knock off growers in Mexico, AZ even CO trying to profit off the name. We even have a State wide marketing program called "New Mexico True".

I assume this is a wait in line to take a dozen home instead of get a quick feed then?

I am making notes. My next run might be eating my way around the US. Early August in New Mexico, and onward!

Last edited:
A dozen? LOL Oh he!! no. We are talking multiple 40lb boxes or burlap sacks for most customers. They are starting to sell 1lb bags of Hatch Green Chile all over the US in 1lb bags in the produce departments but most folks have no clue what to do with them or that they have to be roasted/peeled before eating. You can use a gas grill to roast them. Even an air fryer will work just fine for about 6 at a time.

They only way I can describe the smell is sorta like if you were at a Grateful Dead concert back in the 70's. LOL Very pungent but it somehow draws you in......... LOL

NM has begun to market Hatch (Chile capitol of NM and the world!) and have begun to sue/litigate anyone caught trying to pass off any Chile as Hatch Chile not actually grown in Hatch, NM or NM. There are quite a few knock off growers in Mexico, AZ even CO trying to profit off the name. We even have a State wide marketing program called "New Mexico True".

You only like that video for the golden retriever sloshing through the water, lol!

When in Albuquerque, you might want to spend breakfast through lunch (seriously, stay there for awhile) at The Frontier. I love the food but it is nothing Michelin quality or anything. It's the PEOPLE in this UNM- and downtown-oriented joint that are worth the watching - from homeless folks to college students to the top business people in the city, they all go there. What a fun place. I've ordered the breakfast burrito (HUGE) and a large drink and sat there for 3 hours just watching. I never fail to drop in when in town, and downtown / UNM is a great place to just walk around and soak up the SW ambiance.

http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/
I hope to be back there really soon.

When in Albuquerque, you might want to spend breakfast through lunch (seriously, stay there for awhile) at The Frontier. I love the food but it is nothing Michelin quality or anything. It's the PEOPLE in this UNM- and downtown-oriented joint that are worth the watching - from homeless folks to college students to the top business people in the city, they all go there. What a fun place. I've ordered the breakfast burrito (HUGE) and a large drink and sat there for 3 hours just watching. I never fail to drop in when in town, and downtown / UNM is a great place to just walk around and soak up the SW ambiance.

http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/
I hope to be back there really soon.
I wouldn't avoid a restaurant because it had a Michelin star, but if I was going to travel for food it would be Triple D style. I love finding a good Mom and Pop eatery that aims to please. If you are wishing there was a wheel barrow to help you back to the car... That's good eatin! None of that fancy plate nonsense for me. Oh, yes! Both bites were delicious. Thank you!

I also enjoy a good people watch. We were once delayed a day coming back from Palm Springs. There was a sand storm and the airline put us up in a hotel. I was visiting my folks in Borrego Springs, so we didn't spend any time in PS. It was fun to walk around the strip.

Watching people freak out in the airport was the highlight of the trip. What can you do but make the best of it? Oh gee, a free night in palm springs, I guess, if I HAVE to! We sat and watched everyone getting worked up over nothing they could control. Most people were acting like it was a crime. I won't stand for this! Let me speak to your manager! Great entertainment 😂

I wouldn't avoid a restaurant because it had a Michelin star, but if I was going to travel for food it would be Triple D style. I love finding a good Mom and Pop eatery that aims to please. If you are wishing there was a wheel barrow to help you back to the car... That's good eatin! None of that fancy plate nonsense for me. Oh, yes! Both bites were delicious. Thank you!

I also enjoy a good people watch. We were once delayed a day coming back from Palm Springs. There was a sand storm and the airline put us up in a hotel. I was visiting my folks in Borrego Springs, so we didn't spend any time in PS. It was fun to walk around the strip.

Watching people freak out in the airport was the highlight of the trip. What can you do but make the best of it? Oh gee, a free night in palm springs, I guess, if I HAVE to! We sat and watched everyone getting worked up over nothing they could control. Most people were acting like it was a crime. I won't stand for this! Let me speak to your manager! Great entertainment 😂

You get down there where The Frontier is located, you can definitely have a wide slice of people watching. Bring your bolo tie and turquoise. :) BTW, the video on that website is just a small taste.

Latest posts

Back