Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long mortgages are the cause behind rising house prices over the last 50 years. When the monthly payment is affordable, too many people ignore the real cost.

Borrow $100,000 at 5% interest. It doesn't matter what currency.

If the term is 30 years, the monthly payment is $537. If the term is 15 years the monthly payment is $791? Why pay 50% more per month???

For a 15 year term the interest is $42,300, while if the term is 30 years, the interest is $93,300.

We went for the 15-year three times, and made extra payments dedicated to the principle each month, which cuts the base you are charged future interest on. (If you use this strategy, be sure you stipulate each payment that the extra amount is to be applied to principle only.) Paid them all off way early, under 10 years each. I hate debt. I have not had any for 20 years, and believe me, life is really good without it. Bankers come calling on me all the time! Like my father-in-law used to say, "The only time a banker is your friend is when you don't need him!" He also used to say, quite astutely, "Interest is a dead horse – and you can't ride a dead horse!"

People now are like, "Whoa, mortgage interest is over 5%!" Ha! Mine were 8.5, 7 and 6. I thought they were deals. In 1981, I bought a car and interest on that loan was 16%! 😄

Last edited:
We went for the 15-year three times, and made extra payments dedicated to the principle each month, which cuts to base you are charged future interest on. (If you use this strategy, be sure you stipulate each payment that the extra amount is to be applied to principle only.) Paid them all off way early, under 10 years each. I hate debt. I have not had any for 20 years, and believe me, life is really good without it. Bankers come calling on me all the time! Like my father-in-law used to say, "The only time a banker is your friend is when you don't need him!" He also used to say, quite astutely, "Interest is a dead horse – and you can't ride a dead horse!"

People now are like, "Whoa, mortgage interest is over 5%!" Ha! Mine were 8.5, 7 and 6. I thought they were deals. In 1981, I bought a car and interest on that loan was 16%! 😄

That's what I did Jim also. Once we bought the house on a 30-year mortgage term I said to myself "No way I will be making payments for 30 years".
2 years later I refinanced for 15 years, monthly payments go up obviously. I also added extra payments to the principal every month.

I think I ended up paying the mortgage in about 18 years or so, glad I did it.

That's what I did Jim also. Once we bought the house on a 30-year mortgage term I said to myself "No way I will be making payments for 30 years".
2 years later I refinanced for 15 years, monthly payments go up obviously. I also added extra payments to the principal every month.

I think I ended up paying the mortgage in about 18 years or so, glad I did it.

Good man! Did I mention, I HATE DEBT! 😄

We went for the 15-year three times, and made extra payments dedicated to the principle each month, which cuts the base you are charged future interest on.
We went with a 15 year loan, paid it off in 12, cutting the interest by a lot.

If anyone is interested, I created an Excel workbook that calculates the amortization table of a mortgage, taking into account real payments. Payment values are accurate to within 2 cents of finance company payments, and it calculates the new loan length and interest paid if extra payments are made. PM me your email address if interested in a copy.

Prices are nuts!!!! Eventually they will come down and in my experience once you go EV you ain’t looking back.

I’d like to see the Chevy lighting pickup truck as well, nice one 💪

Here you go! The Changli - only $6500! Even comes in a truck model for a couple grand more.
1658570482273.png

Unless I'm mistaken, most EV batteries are guaranteed for 100,000 miles and the cost to replace one is about $20,000. My 2016 gasoline powered Toyota Tacoma pick up gets 20-22 MPG depending upon the season and where I drive it. My cost for gasoline over 100,000 miles at $4/gallon would be somewhere between $18 and $20K. I'm good!

Tesla sent over-the-air (OTA) notifications to drivers in Texasasking owners to avoid charging their EVs during peak hours of energy use. The request appeared on Tesla dashboards amid a record-setting heat wave that strained the Texas power grid, and prompted its operator, ERCOT, to warn of possible blackouts.

As a response to the unprecedented power demand during the extreme heat, Tesla and ERCOT asked drivers and residents in Texas to conserve electricity by not charging their EVs from the afternoon through the evening and by turning up their thermostats at home.

Tesla Asked Texas Drivers to Avoid Charging During Record Heat Wave

1. If we changed the whole country ….where does electricity come from?
  2. Cost of replacement battery

Just curious, @varis. About how many miles did you go on that $28?

This is just in average terms ….

I charged 143kWh based on that screen.
The Model 3 I have has a battery of 75kwh … and drives 315 miles (again average).

So roughly again putting an average, I’d say I drove about ~600 miles.

Unless I'm mistaken, most EV batteries are guaranteed for 100,000 miles and the cost to replace one is about $20,000. My 2016 gasoline powered Toyota Tacoma pick up gets 20-22 MPG depending upon the season and where I drive it. My cost for gasoline over 100,000 miles at $4/gallon would be somewhere between $18 and $20K. I'm good!

About 100k miles and 120k miles for some Tesla models sound right.
Not sure about cost, older model S had a battery pack no longer being made since it was older technology and we don’t know at all about the newer 3 and Y models since they’re still under warranty in most cases. Battery packs don’t need to be replaced if you can leave with the degradation.

I wonder how popular these are here in the states. I saw plenty of options and business places carrying those in the DR, so they seem real popular down there specifically for a balcony.

A0D128BF-6D15-415A-8314-FBA3760B0956.jpeg
5E5A2CD4-3688-41FA-9C10-C29B2DA934F5.jpeg

Latest posts

Back