Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience is that in desirable resort locations the ownership fees (not taxes) can be crazy high - but they are arbitrarly set so that the owner will still get a small positive return. And there is often a long menu of fees that most of us have never heard of that dilute your return. You look at the numbers and get the impression that others involved make far more money than the condo owner. (It’s the same if you build a Caribbean home as an investment rental - avoiding condo fees - and want professional rental management). You like to know - but you can’t worry too much about - what “the other guys” make off your investment - only what your investment means to you and your family/friends. There are plenty of reasons to buy - but obviously getting good and complete info is before committing is vital to feeling good about the decision. Ask for a pro-forma. Talk to as many people as you can while you are there - you’ll probably meet some owners as well as other renters. DR is increasingly popular. But personally I would not want to end up with a vacation that costs me more to own than to rent - thinking i’ll get that money back when I sell some day. Capital is precious.

Investment condos never work out. I know of many who, while on vacation, opted to purchase but ended up wishing they have never bought. Resale was next to impossible at the original price paid.

In the long run, given that you have limited vacation time, you will be much better off financially if you simply rent a place for the time that you need them.

Think of it this way. How much would it cost to rent a PALACE down there? Would $3,000 cover it? Would a vacation condo cost much more?

Varis is originally from the DR. Maybe it is meant to be a retirement investment? I'll ask...

We
It is gorgeous here, the beach is amazing this time with no seaweed floating around, clear water and white sand.
I’m really thinking about a future investment condo [emoji848][emoji848]

Varis, an investment towards retiring to the DR?

That would be awesome for all your friends here on WMT! We could visit you every winter ;)

Varis is originally from the DR. Maybe it is meant to be a retirement investment? I'll ask...

OH, That changes everything. I was thinking that he was a "spur of the moment" buyer.

I was just remembering a time when I had to talk my MIL out of purchasing a time share in Key West. This vultures (time share salesman) enticed her as she was vacationing. The salesman promised the world (verbally), but delivered nothing (in writing).

Luckily, I was able to get her to cancel the check she wrote within 24 hours. Had that check cleared, she would have been stuck (and man, do I mean stuck).

When the salesman found out that the check was cancelled, of course he called my MIL to subject her to abuse. She was obviously getting abused when I grabbed the phone and reminded the salesman of all of the promises he made and how the blackout dates/places in the contract allowed for none of it. Before hanging up, I remember saying that "Her check is as good as your word"!

It all turned out to be a scam that these jerks played on happy vacationers.

OH, That changes everything. I was thinking that he was a "spur of the moment" buyer.

I was just remembering a time when I had to talk my MIL out of purchasing a time share in Key West. This vultures (time share salesman) enticed her as she was vacationing. The salesman promised the world (verbally), but delivered nothing (in writing).

Luckily, I was able to get her to cancel the check she wrote within 24 hours. Had that check cleared, she would have been stuck (and man, do I mean stuck).

When the salesman found out that the check was cancelled, of course he called my MIL to subject her to abuse. She was obviously getting abused when I grabbed the phone and reminded the salesman of all of the promises he made and how the blackout dates/places in the contract allowed for none of it. Before hanging up, I remember saying that "Her check is as good as your word"!

It all turned out to be a scam that these jerks played on happy vacationers.

Yeah, got snagged while on vacation in Arizona and driving through Sadona. Did get, I think it was $25.00, to listen to a sales pitch but man the pressure they put on you to buy (this was a time share) is incredible. [No, we didn't cave into buying.]

One would never know you weren't a carpenter. Looks great!
Thanks, I think it’s over built. I’m almost 300 lbs and I crawled all around on the roof worried that it might fall. Then the roofer took 2 bundles of shingles at a time a threw them down on the roof so I guess it’s built pretty good.

Thanks, I think it’s over built. I’m almost 300 lbs and I crawled all around on the roof worried that it might fall. Then the roofer took 2 bundles of shingles at a time a threw them down on the roof so I guess it’s built pretty good.

Nice! Roofers tend to be a little rough around the like that! :) Just make sure all 300lbs stays off that long awning overhang!
Always feels good to complete a project like that. Actually, -are you finished? If so I’d like to make a couple friendly suggestions to finish ‘er off.

Latest posts

Back