Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Sands, NM

27629350_1637186962994185_4459485212325005381_o.jpg

Reminds me of The Narrows in Zion National Park.

Awww, Jim, now you went and made me "waste" 15 minutes looking at pictures. We never had a chance to hike the Narrows. Did you, you lucky dog? If so, I am jealous. Here is a little bit of what we did see. I apologize for so many pix -- it was hard to winnow it down.

CIMG3948.JPG.jpg CIMG3860.JPG.jpg CIMG3847.JPG.jpg CIMG3901.JPG.jpg CIMG3913.JPG.jpg

Awww, Jim, now you went and made me "waste" 15 minutes looking at pictures. We never had a chance to hike the Narrows. Did you, you lucky dog? If so, I am jealous. Here is a little bit of what we did see. I apologize for so many pix -- it was hard to winnow it down.

I haven't done all of it, but went up about a mile and a half before turning around. Spectacular - I'd love to do the whole thing. It was 15 years ago that I went and I've been longing to go back ever since. Mike's post was rather timely, as I got a 4K Apple TV yesterday and was viewing some great footage of Zion last night.

It was 15 years ago that I went and I've been longing to go back ever since.

That sounds familiar, too! A long time ago, my DW and I met my brother-in-law and his family (who were living in SLC at the time) at Zion for a vacation. It was HOT (112F), but we hiked away. My DW, BIL, and I headed out to climb Angels' Landing. My wife had a "backup plan" of just quitting when she felt like. So, about 2/3 of the way to Scout's Lookout, she pooped out and plopped herself down and said "See ya on the way down, boys! I'll be here!" My BIL and I continued on, as I was really eager to get to Angels' Landing. We did the rest of way to Scout's Lookout, and he was pretty wiped out. We headed over towards the spur to Angels' Landing, (which, for the uninitiated, is a path along a "fin" of rock with 1200' dropoffs to either side, then a steep 400' climb using 1930's CCC chain handholds up to another peak). At this point, my BIL wimped out, and insisted we go back. I was LIVID. We had come so close!

I longed to go back. About a dozen years later, in 2013, we finally got the chance. My DW was with me, but was not going to be there for the whole time because she had a conference to go to; consequently, I was going to spend a few days there alone after she left. She was not interested in climbing Angels' Landing with me (somewhat afraid of heights), so we did other stuff for the time she was there, and left AL as a "prize" for me. The morning that she left, I got to the Angels' Landing trailhead at Oh-dark-thirty. I hiked the empty trail, all 1500' vertical of it, by like 8:00 am! I was a little surprised that there was already about 4 guys there, but they said they started in the dark, with headlamps. I then set off into the Zion backcountry for a lengthy dayhike (~19 miles). On the way back, I had to pass the spur to Angels' Landing again, and said "What the hell?" So I climbed the last 400' again, before heading down to the canyon floor. I guess I exorcised that demon!

Last edited:
I was too chicken to do AL - I figured that 'fin' (I'd read about it) would have me quaking in my boots.

Trip of a lifetime though. We flew into Vegas for a few days, then spent ten days as nomads; hitting Zion, Grand Canyon and Moab (Arches and Canyonlands NPs) before returning to Vegas. We mostly camped, but would grab a hotel every few days. The last night before heading back into Vegas, we camped on Lake Meade. It was 113F that day, with a low of 96 - hardly slept at all that night.

Last edited:
5F03BA5D-9A53-43BD-BC1E-C12C90928E1E.jpeg Wifey and I are on Day 1 of our annual Mardi Gras escape vacation, arrived 1PM, pic is a view from our villa in Yountville, CA, with Atlas Peak in the background. Daily lows around 40F, highs around 70F all week long, perfect weather!
Yesterday, we walked a few blocks to the Beau Vigne tasting room, ordered a few of their 16’s to be released later this year, and some of their 15 Rutherford Cab, a beautiful, silky smooth wine. Little family winery that owns a small vineyard on Atlas Peak, pick at night, truck their grapes to a crush facility, then to their fermentation / storage area. Dad runs the vineyard and is the winemaker. Son, Beau, did our tasting, young man did a nice job and knew the wines well. Kurt Venge is on their team of consulting winemakers. Nice wines for sure!!
Walked next door to Girard for a flight tasting, mostly sourced grapes from within the valley, nicely priced offerings,ordered a few bottles of their Petite Sirah, classic example of the varietal, the 15 needs a little more bottle time, but opened up pretty nicely as it sat for a bit.
Had a wonderful dinner at Bistro Jeanty, with a bottle of Pine Ridge Cab, and turned in early to get our two hour time change sleep back.
Today, we’ll visit Del Dotto’s Rutherford facility for a barrel tasting (10 or so wines) in their storage caves, then travel to their new facility in Napa (Piazza Del Dottolo) for their “Delicacies Pairing”, small plates crafted, paired, and served with their wines.
Cheers!!

Now that we have seen the street/pole we want to see the Villa!

Wifey and I are on Day 1 of our annual Mardi Gras escape vacation, arrived 1PM, pic is a view from our villa in Yountville, CA, with Atlas Peak in the background. Daily lows around 40F, highs around 70F all week long, perfect weather!

Back