Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crows and squirrels are all that showed up on the trail cam over the past week. Saw plenty of deer and deer sign on the property but apparently no deer came within range of the cam...

MFDC0016.JPG

Crows and squirrels are all that showed up on the trail cam over the past week. Saw plenty of deer and deer sign on the property but apparently no deer came within range of the cam...

View attachment 45948

Try putting an attractant of some kind in the field of the camera lens, it'll greatly improve your success for deer. Corn or apples work fine, but lots of other stuff eats them. Some of our most successful camera placements are over minerals, which attract mostly deer. Most feed stores sell "trace minerals" in a 25 or 50 pound sack, make a shallow depression in the ground, dump the sack in, and put some water on it a few times to help it dissolve. The deer will come lick the mud, stomp around in it and lick their feet, it especially attracts bucks during the months when their antlers are developing, as they require those minerals and crave them. It may take a few months for them to start using it regularly, but once they do, you'll get lots of photos. Just add a new sack to the spot each year.

Try putting an attractant of some kind in the field of the camera lens, it'll greatly improve your success for deer. Corn or apples work fine, but lots of other stuff eats them. Some of our most successful camera placements are over minerals, which attract mostly deer. Most feed stores sell "trace minerals" in a 25 or 50 pound sack, make a shallow depression in the ground, dump the sack in, and put some water on it a few times to help it dissolve. The deer will come lick the mud, stomp around in it and lick their feet, it especially attracts bucks during the months when their antlers are developing, as they require those minerals and crave them. It may take a few months for them to start using it regularly, but once they do, you'll get lots of photos. Just add a new sack to the spot each year.

My main reason for the trail cam is to determine daylight deer movement through the Eastern half of my small acreage. I could use bait or minerals as you suggest but here in PA they'd have to be stopped/gone with no trace left (a problem if you use licks) at least 30 days before season opens.

Yesterday's "puppy hike" once again had Sadie and I in PA Game Lands #37. We walked back to the car through some corn food plots. [BTW, I was surprised to see so much deer sign in fields that were already harvested.]

IMAG1421[1].jpg IMAG1422[1].jpg

Last edited:
My main reason for the trail cam is to determine daylight deer movement through the Eastern half of my small acreage. I could use bait or minerals as you suggest but here in PA they'd have to be stopped/gone with no trace left (a problem if you use licks) at least 30 days before season opens.

I don't use bait, either. Don't want to artificially attract them so some hunter can trespass on my back acres and shoot them. What ya gotta do is determine the "funnels" on your property. There are edge habitat areas where the lay of the land or other conditions force deer to walk past the same area frequently. Good hunters track to find these funnel areas. Since we are basically hunting with a camera, maybe you can get some tips from this article. I have been pretty successful, but then I fell on my face with an open field approach where I set up time before this one. I am very much enjoying the hunt.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/deer-zone/mw/5-best-funnel-pinch-point-setups-for-hunting-whitetails/

Another good funnel article...

https://community.deergear.com/tips/mapping-whitetails-05-3-must-hunt-funnels/

Last edited:
Yesterday's "puppy hike" once again had Sadie and I in PA Game Lands #37. We walked back to the car through some corn food plots. {BTW, I was surprised to see so much deer sign in fields that were already harvested.]

View attachment 45962 View attachment 45963

There is always grain that the combine does not glean, either throughput or by scattering before it enters the head. Here in the South, you can tell how well the combines were set up because the growing season is so long, the grain that fell on the ground has a chance to come up as "volunteer" corn, and it can get 2 feet high before frost kills it. Up North, it gets cold too fast. Smart farmers here assess the volunteer plant populations to figure how better to harvest more of the grain they have paid for the next year. Deer LOVE this windfall energy source.

This morning... A small herd of deer crossed in front of the dog and I while out for our morning walk. Two of the deer stopped to let us walk by before proceeding to their bedding area.

[I'm really starting to love the water color painting effect when shooting these early morning photos with my phone's camera.]

IMAG1424[1].jpg

This afternoon... Just South of Rt. 6 and a few miles North of Craig's (@ceeaton) cabin. Appears that Pine Creek overflowed a field, froze and then receded leaving the ice cap to fall and break up into big chunks of ice.

IMAG1426[1].jpg

I'm assuming that you took that picture from Colton Rd looking East where Marsh and Pine Creek join. Wonder if there was an ice jam at the bridge to the right of the image? Was it all over edges of the road too? Yikes. Wonder what kind of condition Owassee Rd is in, bet it's a mess!

I'm assuming that you took that picture from Colton Rd looking East where Marsh and Pine Creek join. Wonder if there was an ice jam at the bridge to the right of the image? Was it all over edges of the road too? Yikes. Wonder what kind of condition Owassee Rd is in, bet it's a mess!

Yes, you've got it, taken from Colton road looking East. This is the field right behind the Burnin' Barrel Bar. Rt. 6 to the North, Pine Creek to the South, Colton Rd. to the West and March Creek to the East.

Ref: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7452529,-77.4312601,484m/data=!3m1!1e3

I can understand now why that cabin at the end of Big Meadow Lane is on stilts.

Yes, you've got it, taken from Colton road looking East. This is the field right behind the Burnin' Barrel Bar. Rt. 6 to the North, Pine Creek to the South, Colton Rd. to the West and March Creek to the East.

Ref: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7452529,-77.4312601,484m/data=!3m1!1e3

I can understand now why that cabin at the end of Big Meadow Lane is on stilts.
I've heard that what you got a picture of does happen from time to time, but never saw it (and you know, seeing is believing) since there is rarely any snow on the ground when we get up there in April. Thanks for sharing the image.

wow, where have these been hiding on my computer? Out dipnetting several years ago. pulled this King Salmon in in a net. That was a lot of fun.

It had to be a blast! I know a guy who's a summertime resident and charter boat captain up there. The fishing is way good! Nice catch!

Back