Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A famous Austrian to go with Austrian vineyards.

SFreud02_zpsdd5b0b54.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You know what I noticed all the Styrofoam and peanuts!! I hate dealing with that!! lol Pop a bunch of popcorn or something!!

Wow, thats amazing Paul. Do you live here or was this a trip?

It was on a trip in 2005. At the time, we were living in France for a year on a work-related stint, and went to the region of Graz for a vacation. That vineyard is owned by (distant) relatives of my wife. They treated us like kings!

Even MORE amazing is that they contacted us recently (out of the blue). I told them I was starting to make kit wines, and they invited me to come back and learn to make wine from them! I doubt it will come to pass, but, boy, that sounds mighty tempting! I really liked Austria a lot -- a lot of the good parts of, say, Germany, without a lot of the downside.

Here is a view from a heuriger, which is a kind of rural tavern where they can serve only wine made on their premises, followed by a funny firestation, and then an elegant, old bakery:

austria.jpg

firetruck.jpg

baker.jpg

I walked past this carboy a couple of hours after adding the clearing agent and had to stop and look. The backlight was just too perfect not to take a picture. It's like watching a fish tank with all those little particles floating around. Or a nuclear explosion. :)

betterbottle.jpg

Runningwolf and Thing: Yes, it's a 1967 IH Cub Cadet 122 with a Haban Sickle Bar Mower that I restored. It is the first Cub Cadet ever to be featured on the front cover of "Red Power" magazine, the national IH collector's magazine.

The photo was taken shortly after the shop was finally near completion. I was moving in my tools and stuff. People told me to take photos cuz it would never be that clean or that empty again. How right they were!

Vineyards overlooking Lake Geneva (Switzerland):

Paul,

That looks like Lavaux, my favorite World Heritage Site, the designation by UNESCO for the world's most special places. There are only 21 World Heritage Sites in the US, mostly national parks (Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc) and our most famous monuments (Statue of Liberty, the Liberty Bell and Independence). Most in Europe are cathedrals and castles, except for Lavaux, which is the world's oldest, continuously-used, site where agriculture and people and their culture, are intertwined - and dates from the 11th century. How cool is that?!!

(picture, below is from our trip there in 2010)

(See http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1243 )
The Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, stretching for about 30 km along the south-facing northern shores of Lake Geneva... cover the lower slopes of the mountainside between the villages and the lake. Although there is some evidence that vines were grown in the area in Roman times, the present vine terraces can be traced back to the 11th century, when Benedictine and Cistercian monasteries controlled the area. It is an outstanding example of a centuries-long interaction between people and their environment....

IMG_6789.jpg

Last edited:
Paul,

That looks like Lavaux, my favorite World Heritage Site, the designation by UNESCO for the world's most special places.

[snip]

(See http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1243 )
The Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, stretching for about 30 km along the south-facing northern shores of Lake Geneva... cover the lower slopes of the mountainside between the villages and the lake. Although there is some evidence that vines were grown in the area in Roman times, the present vine terraces can be traced back to the 11th century, when Benedictine and Cistercian monasteries controlled the area. It is an outstanding example of a centuries-long interaction between people and their environment....

Right you are! I must tell you that (A) I did not know that the name of the vineyards was Lavaux, and (B) I did not know it was a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We merely went to Lausanne (and Montreux) for a visit, and went for long walk at a bucolic location along the way. That is cool that you recognized it and knew all of that!

Funny that you mentioned Independence Hall as an example; I grew up near there. I had actually been led to believe (falsely, as it turns out) that the sole UNESCO site in Philly was the Eastern State Penitentiary. (I just learned that they applied for, but have not been granted, UNESCO status.)

That long history of wine-growing may help explain this picture of a decorative wall made of gnarled grape vines:

vines.jpg

There are some great, out-of-the-way places in Europe that remind one that growing and making wine is more than a commercial venture there. One of my most 'Wow' moments was driving through Slovakia and the Ukraine, and seeing grape arbors over "suburban" driveways leading to homes on lots as small as 40-50 feet wide. The cars literally drive up a grape tunnel - now that's making use of available space!

Here we see the jeep in its natural habitat. It seems to be performing a mating dance with the bolder.

image-1854531928.jpg

Latest posts

Back