Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, THAT IS IT! That is the small building right by the road and the main house is in the background on the right. Look at the olive trees growing along the road. There is an orchard on the other side of the house, too. That other picture of the your first villa looks familiar. If it is the one I am thinking of, it lies in a little valley just west of La Cappella. That appears to be San Quirico in the left background.

Yes I read Under the Tuscan Sun and I saw the movie. Parts of the movie was filmed in Montepulciano and the "wedding" took place in the Church at the foot of the hill below Montepulciano. Many movie scenes were shot in that area; "The English Patient" (the convalescing scenes), "Romeo and Juliet" (shot right in Pienza), "Gladiator" come to mind. We even saw the villa where Maximus' son was killed and wife was crucified in "Gladiator." We spent a month in Tuscany and loved every minute of it. We actually stayed at a remote property of the people who run Cretaiole in a small village named Castelmuzio, about 5 miles north of Pienza. It was a village of about 400 people and only the children spoke any English. Our limited Italian got us through and the people were wonderful. We were referred to as "i due americani che camminano" (the two Americans who walk.) because we used to walk from village to village and across the country side. We had a car but we liked the exercise in the morning. Just to walk to a little village, have a cup of coffee and a sweet roll and walk back was so great.

Don't be this "me" as the DirecTV commercials say..... LOL

12088109_902776146469469_5693984936754895822_n.jpg

Paul, THAT IS IT! That is the small building right by the road and the main house is in the background on the right. Look at the olive trees growing along the road. There is an orchard on the other side of the house, too. That other picture of the your first villa looks familiar. If it is the one I am thinking of, it lies in a little valley just west of La Cappella. That appears to be San Quirico in the left background.

Cool! Yes, that is indeed San Quirico in the background (of my "first" lovely villa).

Yes I read Under the Tuscan Sun and I saw the movie. Parts of the movie was filmed in Montepulciano and the "wedding" took place in the Church at the foot of the hill below Montepulciano.

I did not see the movie, just read the book. As for the church at the foot of the hill, do you mean San Biagio?

SanBiagioFar.jpg

SanBiagioNear.jpg

Major leap forward in bathroom remodel...

Toilet flange and supply roughed in, too. Now to set faucet and shower head supply, get underneath to connect supplies and waste pipes, then I can test and get the cement board up. Can't wait to get back to using sheet goods. A little effort will make a lot of visible improvement then!

BTW, for the curious, the tub is a Kohler Archer, new offering this year with bubble massage-whirlpool-heater.

Might be ready by Thanksgiving...

Paul,

I think I may have stood close to that very spot from which the picture was taken. La Cappella della Madonna di Vitaleta near San Quirico in southern Tuscany. One of the most painted and photographed sites in Italy although usually from the other side, i.e. the well side. We were guests at Agriturismo Cetaiole which is about a mile or so from this spot. We used to walk from Cretaiole to San Quirico for breakfast or lunch. It was, by far, the greatest vacation I ever enjoyed.
Rocky,
Is this the place you stayed at?

If not would you mind sharing?

I am convinced that the next time I go to Italy I won't leave!

Steve

Rocky,
Is this the place you stayed at?

If not would you mind sharing?

I am convinced that the next time I go to Italy I won't leave!

Steve

It a little complicated, Steve. We originally contacted Isabella Morriciani at Agriturismo Cretaiole to see if she had vacancies at "the farm." She said she did not, but she did have a second location about 5 miles away in the Village of Castelmuzio. We stayed there and had the opportunity to participate in all of her activities, e.g. tour of a winery, tour of a working farm, olive oil tasting, visits to historic places, etc. Isabella is a real treasure. She is so well known in the area and made our stay very easy. We particularly liked being in Castelmuzio and "on our own" during the off hours. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. Here is a link to Cretaiole: http://www.cretaiole.it/index.php/en/

DJ, beautiful picture. About 15 years ago a group of 10 of us rented canoes through a service that drops you off at the base of Hoover. You can take a couple of days working your way down to willow beach marina where they pick you up and drive you back to Henderson. Your photo really captures how awesome it is in that canyon. Brought back some fun memories.
Thanks, Mike

It a little complicated, Steve. We originally contacted Isabella Morriciani at Agriturismo Cretaiole to see if she had vacancies at "the farm." She said she did not, but she did have a second location about 5 miles away in the Village of Castelmuzio. We stayed there and had the opportunity to participate in all of her activities, e.g. tour of a winery, tour of a working farm, olive oil tasting, visits to historic places, etc. Isabella is a real treasure. She is so well known in the area and made our stay very easy. We particularly liked being in Castelmuzio and "on our own" during the off hours. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. Here is a link to Cretaiole: http://www.cretaiole.it/index.php/en/

Wow, Rocky. That place looks fabulous!

DJ, beautiful picture. About 15 years ago a group of 10 of us rented canoes through a service that drops you off at the base of Hoover. You can take a couple of days working your way down to willow beach marina where they pick you up and drive you back to Henderson. Your photo really captures how awesome it is in that canyon. Brought back some fun memories.
Thanks, Mike

@Kraffty
Mike,
Yes sir, you know exactly where we were. We start at Willow Beach Marina(that is where we rent the boat from) and head up toward the dam. Third time we have done this and first time the water was that still. We talked to some of the kayakers this year and may look into doing that one of these years. Just a very peaceful, gorgeous place out there.............as you know.

I have one. What are the room rates? You have to make an enquiry. Definitely on the bucket list in a few years. :p

Mike, it would be best for you to contact Isabella and ask her for the current rates. We were there are one of the worst times for the dollar vs. the Euro (the rate was something like $1.55/Euro) and it was kind of expensive. I suspect that this has changed in recent years. I know that when we were there, they wanted paid in Euros. I see now that they want paid in Dollars.

I think we paid something like $1200 per week for our place in Castemuzio, which I think was much better accommodations than an apartment at "The Farm." We stayed in two different apartments, the first (Il Ciello) was a two bedroom, kitchen, sitting room and large bath. We were there for three weeks and then moved to Il Nido, which was smaller (bedroom, bath, large eat in kitchen with a beautiful courtyard) and we were there for 1 week. It was great for us because our objective was to go to Italy and live like Italians (we are both of Italian descent) and we were able to accomplish this by living in this small village.

Tell me they did not expect to be paid in cash (of some sort)! We always stay in an apartment or B&B if possible when in Europe. This place looks fantastic!

I know that when we were there, they wanted paid in Euros. I see now that they want paid in Dollars.

Latest posts

Back