Our wine press....EXCITED!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHOAH!! that is an awesome wine press!!!!

in FACT...we are building the bottom tray to those same specifications with the corals in the front, those always worked the best...of course we ALLLWAYS line it with plastic anyways! but yes, they look very very similar!! amazing!!!!

My papa only makes as a hobby, non commercial,. strictly for the family. about 250+ gallons a year

nah, he doesnt do less than 200, lol he does roughly 250 gallons, he also makes a white wine *one barrel ...all in all he has 9 30 gallons barrels and 3 50 gallon barrels, you dont see all of them in the pic though, lol

Mike said 200 because that is the legal limit per household without getting in trouble with the TTB (Revenuers). Anything more is not legal in the US.

Again, I am quite certain you really meant to say 200G or less as that is the legal limit per household for personal consumption.....

That brings up a question. Say my buddy and I was making wine on his property. Or even a group of us went together and bought a truck load of grapes. Made everything in one spot and aged it there and divided up after bottling. Is this legal? We'll say the entire batch produced 400 gallons or 100 gallons per household involved.

In NY at least you need a special permit to do that. I don't recall what is is, but you get a license as a winery and then you can make wine for multiple parties in one place. Then there is a shared winery where more than one vineyard can make their own brand- one at a time and then you hand it off to the other party. Pretty weird here.

Here's a picture of a page of winepress's and crushers probably from about 100 years ago. My press is the large #3 that cost $37.50 new and that I had to cough up $65.00 for last summer. My crusher is the one in the top right corner.

Wine press ad.jpg

oh wow LOOK AT THAT! AMAZZING! i lovvve articles like that!!! well, it is easter and what better way to spend it..than..putzing around and working on stuff! as i promised everyone, i would keep you all updated as to the process of redoing the press...while we are not going and redoing the actual body of it..we decided we needed a new rack, drip tray and pressing cap, the cap as i have shown is already done, the only change to that was i put 2 metal handles on it...LOOKS GREAT!!! This morning, working on the drip tray, and rack, its coming along great!!! the tray itself is almost completed, we need to zip screw and seal the 2 corrals in the front, and then for the drip rack, we need to get stainless steel screws, which we were unable to get at the stores yesterday. However, my father will pick them up when he is out on the road this week so, when he comes back, all we have to do is re align the oak brackets and and attach them together...obviously, the rack will be seperate from the tray, but i DIID take some photos to show the process! when we are alll finished ill take some final photos! so these pics are STILL a work in progress! threw the basket on to see what it will look like when done. : D

SANY1637.jpg

SANY1638.jpg

SANY1639.jpg

SANY1640.jpg

SANY1641.jpg

Looks like you didnt need to buy one as your making a brand new one!!!!

are you using 1 x 2 or 1x 3 oak slats ??? I was thinking for your bottom catch pan or drip tray, rebuild with wood, but use 16 or 18 guage stainless steel. You can probably bend 18 guage with a aluminum siding break. I've bent 18 and 20 guage, but I think 16 guage is too thick

Naw, we wont need to bend any stainless steel or anything, we will be placing plastic lining *like the stuff Dexter uses in his kill rooms HAHAHAHA* in between the drip tray and rack : D. As soon as we find the damn stainless steel screws *haven't found them in any hardware stores around here* and get the drip rack all finished, I'll get some plastic liner and take a snapshot as to what it will look like in the final stage when the blood..I mean....wine flows...yesss I covered THAT up rather well, didnt I?? ;)

Home Depot and Lowes both have stainless screws. Other then those guys do you have any boating stores around you? They would have them also.

Additional places to look would be RV/Camper sales and automotive parts stores.

Back