Our wine press....EXCITED!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i figured...instead of paying a ton of money *40 for a small up to 80-90 bucks for a tall one* i decided to make my own cap puncher, stainless steel screws and pure oak. i had this left over from the drip tray and I have been trying for such a long time to figure out what to do for a cap...well, stood in the garage about 30 minutes looking at the wood trying to come up with a solution, then an idea popped into my mind and its pretty much exactly what i had imagined, i had JUST enough to work with....80 dollar cap punchers..take a hike..this one cost a mere couple bucks and about an hour or so of time. : D

Cheers!!!

Mikael

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Looks great Mikael. I like to make my own stuff too. Made my own wine bottle drying rack and carboy mover and I am working on a carboy elevator/lift. I am also rebuilding an old wine press (the basket part) and I am having the metal base and legs powder coated.

nice!!! I am going to be making a new basket as well. I'm more of a wood worker than a metal worker...so I wouldn't know what to do or where to get that outer rings and stuff for the basket and advice would be great!

Mikael, I am going to use the iron rings that were on the basket originally. I will have them bead-blasted to remove old paint and rust and then powder coated (red) like the legs and base. I bought all new SS hardware for the basket to attach the oak. I did buy hex nuts rather than square nuts. I think you can get square nuts but the price would be really high. This will be my Winter project as I have no great need for the press at this time. I have not made wine from grapes for more than 12 years. The press belonged to my Father in Law, who taught me a lot about making wine.

Congratulations Mikael.

It looks like you know how to work with wood and obviously the wine-making has been passed onto you from an original

I'm glad I looked-into this thread today and went through the whole thing. Thanks for sharing your experience and the pix.

Good luck with the rest of the adventure.

Enjoy lachryma vitis.

cap punchers maiden voyage into the vino!!!!!

thought you guys might enjoy this little bit-o-video we made earrrrly this morning, hahaha.

cheers!

Mikael

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V81HlMIeKAM[/ame]

That looks and sounds like a real workout there. A smaller paddle might be easier to use.

One note to you: I would get rid of some of those green stems to reduce the green flavors they impart. They seem to snag on the punchdown tool, so make use of that and pick them out.

Yeah - I would agree with Rich.

Looks like a lot of stems floating around in there.

Other than that - way to go - looks great!!

we spent all day yesterday, all through the night and this morning pressing the grapes....it came out WONDERFUL!!!! I'm wayy too tired to post anything else now..mut take..SHOWERRRR and then sleeeeeeeeep, lol, when im mor eenergized i will post pics and such!!!!!!!! : D cheers!!!!

Mikael

the first video i posted on here was our first cap punch this past friday morning, we did another punch down that evening and now here is the punchdown on saturday morning, after this punch down, we let it go until sunday morning, when we extracted the free flow juices, barreled those and pressed the grapes, that video is to come, but for now, enjoy the last cap punch for this batch...we were VERY happy with the results : D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYgDssqvkKo[/ame]

Looking forward to the pressing video. I was going to ask what you started with but then I went back and saw 700+ lbs. That looks like a great fermentation.

Great Viewing

Hey guys,

That was a fantastic video. It looks as if there is still a good bit of fermentation left. What is your SG now and when do you expect to press?

I'm sure your going to use MLF. Are you going to use a dehydrated MLF?

Keep up the great documentation.

Paul

I think they done pressed Paul and as far as MLF if it is done it will go on it's own as I'm pretty sure mik is doing like his papa does and going all natural nothing added whatsoever.
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time or last) but I think he's doing it that way

Back