Our wine press....EXCITED!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then you are getting more then a gallon!!! Hehehehe I agree though to the fact you should always make more then wanted to have top off material!

Yeah, definitely! If I didn't get the 4 extra cases I wouldn't have enough for top off and that would be bad....but then again..I could also get some from him and use that..kinda like..mixing the old family wine into the new batch and have it live on...in my vintage ...I'm thinking!!! That's a pretty neat idea! lol

UPDATE!!!! the progress of redoing the wine press..the press cap is ALMOST finished! The only thing I need to do is put on a tiny metal handle and its good to go!!! Here is a comparison of the old cap that came with it and the one we made

presscaps.jpg

Also!....I decided to toss in 2 pics from my Papas little operation. I think you will see why I been turned onto wanting to making this myself, lol

wine1.jpg

wine2.jpg

WOW! That's impressive!

Why are there 25 empty carboys? Me thinks they should be filled with something!

While I understand your need to rebuild the press for reliability reasons, I think the original parts have nice character and a long history attached to them.

Oh absolutely, we are only rebuilding those certain parts for optimal operation use, I'm still keeping the old parts for keepsakes. The old press cap anyways was made via tongue and groove and they expanded over the years and it no longer fits into the press the one we made fits perrrrfectly, cant wait! The next step is to finish the drip tray and rack that goes on top of the tray, will probably finish that next week or the weekend after. cheers!!!!

Boy, do you have your work cut out for you. Nice job on the press cap.

WOW! That's impressive!

Why are there 25 empty carboys? Me thinks they should be filled with something!

HAHAHA yeah, this was early in the morning before we got started...My father and i will stay there over the weekend and get woken up around 7....and so i was in the cellar of the house hand cleaning each carboy twice over until i got all of those done, lol so yeah, each one was washed by me..took awhile..but...its all worth it in the long run..alll part of the process! oh yeah, i forgot to mention...while there may only look or appear to be 25 carboys..there's actually close to 40 altogether on the floor..there is some off to the bottom left the is out of the picture in the rest of the room there, hahaha!

Last edited:
What are those contraptions on the barrels, home made pvc fittings? Those airlocks look like they all have wine in them? What is it you keep in the airlocks cause if its wine you really should think about changing that! Fruit flies can get into them believe it or not and thats the making for a lot of vinegar!

Holy Crapola Batman! That is way too awesome! I look forward to hearing more on your progress and any stories you got to tell us about grandpa. Thanks for sharing.

What are those contraptions on the barrels, home made pvc fittings? Those airlocks look like they all have wine in them? What is it you keep in the airlocks cause if its wine you really should think about changing that! Fruit flies can get into them believe it or not and thats the making for a lot of vinegar!

The contraptions you see is an adhesive double stick tape standing on end that's used as a reservoir to hold on the wax they use to make sure no air gets in around the cork and barrel, as for whats in the air lock itself, it looks like wine, not sure, i will have to call him later this week and inquire. The only thing is whatever they do, they been doing it as I said for years and they never had any problems so, i wouldn't worry about it too much. they been doing this for a long time and as in the words of my uncle 'nothing has ever effected the taste so we keep doing it as we been doing it.' so..pretty much cant argue there, hahaa. on a side note pap doooes love to make red wine vinegar he has another small operation for that. its soo good too. CHEERS! :dg UP THE IRONS!!!!! :r

Mikael

Holy Crapola Batman! That is way too awesome! I look forward to hearing more on your progress and any stories you got to tell us about grandpa. Thanks for sharing.

what can I say, lol..Papa is awesome...Full blooded Italian born and bred. humble simple person...wine is his passion that was passed down to him from his uncle about 60 or so years ago. the win process has been a focal point in our family tradition with each of the main wine days symbolizing a time for all of us to get together. as he is getting along in years, he watches over the process now, he helps with small things but as for the heavy stuff, we do all that now. I remember ever since i could...going and helping with the wine when i was as young as 4? 5?...from spraying boxes with my cousins to breaking them down and advancing as the years went with other responsibilities and watching what i use to do get passed to my younger cousins and such..its amazing watching it all go. and as always papa was there for everything. oh, if you screwed up, he would let you know..but when you do good, he always gives a smile and a wink..and getting those you know you got a place in his heart. I looked up to and admire him, for one day i would love to be just like him..one with a big family carrying this tradition on. while we do the wine he brings out plates of various cheeses and Italian crackers..and always EVER always ollld big band...40's usic will be paying..it addds SUCH nostalgia to the process...I'm not talking about stereotypical Italian songs like amore'..but stuff like..andrew sisters...cab calloway...benny goodman, dinah shore.....its a wonderful amazing atmosphere to be in.

Very cool and so many hands involved is a good thing. I just read a story about a girl whose dad past away and has nearly 400 gallons of wine sitting in his basement in various stages. He made about 120 gallons a year. All but last years is in barrels. The good thing is she has helped him since she was young and understands the process.

that wine room is really cool, is this a hobby or is he commercial? how much does he make in a year??? very nice

Back