Our wine press....EXCITED!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikael

Cousin of Cthulu
Reaction score
SO as i had mentioned, wine making has been in our family for...YEEEEAARS....my grandfather does it..his uncle does it and who knows who taught him, lol, all i heard its been passed down quite few generations...well, when i decided i wanted to carry on the tradition, we needed to get our own stuff...im sticking to EVERYTHING THE SAME WAY as my grandfather has done so. of course, him being a very personal kind of guy, i cant talk too too much about what he does because i would feel that being a betrayal of trust. only a few things we are going to modernize on..and thats a regular plastic fermenter with a spigot on the bottom, someone mentioned they can be found *hopefully in 50 gallon sizes* if not...we are going to rig one up. and of course..a motorized crusher, lol. but of course whats making wine without a wine press!!!! :eek: so i was looking for wine presses and i found them online of course and the one i found that tickled my fancy was at leeners, the #40 crusher...for about 500 bucks i think *forgot* then i found they made a #50 and a store in Clifton NJ had it for 756 bucks...so i sold some stuff on ebay and got the money for it..when my best friend kept bugging me into looking at a wine press at some store him and his wife knows the owner of. so, 2 weekends ago, we went down to check it out..me still having the #50 press in mind to buy for 756...so we get there and the lady brings us into the back room, it wasnt on display nor was it publicly knowww this was for sale..and my jaw dropped....old school wine press, LITTLE DIRTY needs some work on it the basket is the same as the #40 however...14'' diameter INSIDE the basket....asked how much they would want for it..she came back with the price of 300 bucks....i was torn now, lol..so i called my grandfather up asking his advice, he said for that kind of money with that kind of press, you are just starting out..that is PERFECT for you..in a few years when you start making more wine, go for the bigger one, but for now..you will never get another opportunity like this..get it now!' lol so we did! me and my father do woodworking on the side, so we are going to build a new drip tray, a new crush plate that rests on the drip tray and going to build a brand new pressing cap as well. While i have already given the metal parts a small clean down...the entire press is going into big overhaul clean-o-rama via power wash at the end of august when we get all the equipment ready to the oncoming 2 bigs days in September and October. but for now, here is what the press looked like when we got it! its a leeetle dirty looking but i cleaned most of the muck off...i forsee it is going to be great! the sectet asmy grandfather always said the best wine is pressed slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly, lol i cant wait!!!! SALUT!

-Mikael

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

That looks very cool. Post some more pictures as you progress through the restoration.

Unless you will be making very large aounts of wine the one you have will work fine. What size batches are you looking to make?

right now, we are only making 40 gallons this year *30 for the primary maturing barrel, the other 10 to be used for topping off*...that's 18 crates of grapes, so i think we will be good...next year we are going for 60 gallons.

You may want to reconsider your quantity. I'm ordering 18 lugs of grapes and expecting 20-25 gallons Max. Figuring every 10 pounds yeilds 1 gallon. I'm assuming you're getting the same size...

the grapes we get are 32 pound and 36 pound cases, 14 cases = 30 gallons plus 4 more for another 10 gallons to use for our top off, my papa has been getting them for years, so he told me how many to get, lol, i go by his word, he hasn't failed yet! lol

Here is the crusher we got on saturday! looks freaking sweeeeeeet!!!

crusher1.jpg

crusher2.jpg

Sweet! I want to try and make both of those some time. I just need to study them a bit, and round up supplies.. Very nice gear! Be sure to post some "action" photos when you try them out!

Mikael, even your Chilean grapes are coming in those size lugs? Typically the Cali grapes come in that size but the Chilean are usually 1/2 the size.

haha ooh, we plan on doing MORE than photos, we are gonna do videos and post them on youtube : D

we dont do chilean grapes, we only do the wine once a year in september. the grapes we use come in from cali

Last edited:
It really depends on the grapes. Smaller grapes equals more skin per lb so youll need more lbs per gallon. Id say 12-14 lbs per red and 14-18 lbs per white.

aye, the one brand of grapes we use comes in 32 pound lugs and the other ones are 36 pounders...gonna need to hire some oompa loompas!!!!

Latest posts

Back