No More Grapes/Juice from Harford

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@rgfwinemaker — throw out a D tease like that your gonna have em lined up outside your door soon!
Supplier has gotta be a pretty large outfit judging by the the size of 2 joints I know of that they supplied- Harford and Pintos.
And would need a pretty effing big order to warrant a direct delivery instead of going thru Harford which was right next door. Or ——you knew a guy. And now after a decade of business and Harford leaving everyone up shits creek—- looks like rgfwinemaker has now become “the guy to know”.

Got a bad feeling, dude joins, taunts you lost souls with apples from the forbidden tree, first and only post, then goes radio silent.......better be making your contingency plans.

Got a bad feeling, dude joins, taunts you lost souls with apples from the forbidden tree, first and only post, then goes radio silent.......better be making your contingency plans.

I thought it. But just didn’t wanna day it out loud.
Just give him a couple more days. It takes time to re-crate Lodi grapes into Paso Robles and Sonoma crates. Lol.
Though Very possibly a non vocal lurker (there’s much more than we realize!) who saw help needed that he could provide. Prompted him to finally create an account and post. (Just don’t pay up-front!)

Good catch John, I didn't pick up on him just joining. For me the Harford situation may be a blessing in disguise by forcing me to find other sources. I now have at least 3 different local vineyards and a local club providing grapes. Plus there is S&S which is much closer then Harford and that is as of now.

Good catch John, I didn't pick up on him just joining. For me the Harford situation may be a blessing in disguise by forcing me to find other sources. I now have at least 3 different local vineyards and a local club providing grapes. Plus there is S&S which is much closer then Harford and that is as of now.

Certainly hope it ends up working out, could cut costs substantially by knocking out two middle men in the mix. If not, seems that you guys have quite a few really good options. From what I’ve been reading / hearing, looks like harvest numbers are going to be reasonable, with good growing conditions, that could all change quickly with a heat wave, rain pattern, etc., keeping my fingers crossed.......

Gino Pinto and Keystone are about the same drive for me. I'm leaning toward testing out GP this fall. Its a heckuva drive, but may be worth it. And since it appears they open at 8am, I could be home with grapes at a decent hour. I love the proximity of S&S, but I just have a bad taste from previous attempts to contact them. I may change my mind when faced with a 6+ hour round drip though.
Jim,
I got my grapes from Gino Pinto, last year very satisfied I will be going back this year, but I will be stepping up my production a bit did 36 36lbs lugs looking to do 48 this year Zins, Cab, Barbera, Alicante, Sangiovese. The Cab & San was from Suisun valley the Zin was old vine from Lodi,
MikeIMG_1370.jpg View attachment 50266 View attachment 50266

Attachments

• IMG_20170919_112645_593.jpg
    IMG_20170919_112645_593.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 15
Reminder, any of you all making the trek to Gino Pinto's, Procacci Bros or Keystone due to Harford situation, you are welcome to stop by and rest or stay overnight at my house if making it a two day trip is easier. I can sleep up to four. One extra bedroom and a pull out couch. I'm 10 min from Procacci.

But at the very least anyone going to these places, please let me know when you are going to be there, if I can I will make a visit at the same time. It would be cool to meet more people from this site.

I think Ajmassa already stated some of this, but of the three place mentioned above.

Procacci Bros will be the easiest to get to. It's right off 95 and 76 tucked in an industrial park behind the stadiums. If an Eagles game or Phillies game is going there can be a lot of traffic. But it's still easy to get in an out. Draw back here is they are first come first serve, but as long as you are there the first two weeks of grapes arriving you should be fine getting anything you want. Also Procacci Bros, has a good vibe, big barrel of last years zin/merlot blend to taste, free Italian meats, cheeses and bread to go along with it. Can hang and chill as long as you like. A few table and chairs. Wine making equipment. Lenny will open a bottle brought in by customers sometimes.

Gino Pinto's is in Hammonton New Jersey, middle of the Atlantic City Expressway then 15 minutes off the expressway. Good service and product but nothing to sample. Wine making equipment showroom. Italian food imports to purchase. Very good stuff.

Depending on were you are coming from Keystone could be the hardest to get to. Western PA and North Jersey travelers it' could be the better choice. It's located off the PA Turnpike then Route 309. I never enjoy going to anything off 309. Weekdays the PA turnpike is not fun during commuting hours. I've never been there, but hear nothing but good things. They have beer stuff too.

Good luck all.

Jim,
I got my grapes from Gino Pinto, last year very satisfied I will be going back this year, but I will be stepping up my production a bit did 36 36lbs lugs looking to do 48 this year Zins, Cab, Barbera, Alicante, Sangiovese. The Cab & San was from Suisun valley the Zin was old vine from Lodi,
Mike

Thanks! I see you got some Lanza grapes. I've been getting them from Harford the last few years and have been very happy with them. For me, that's a known entity and has me leaning toward GP's. I think they also get Washington grapes, which I've been wanting to do.

Last edited:
Reminder, any of you all making the trek to Gino Pinto's, Procacci Bros or Keystone due to Harford situation, you are welcome to stop by and rest or stay overnight at my house if making it a two day trip is easier. I can sleep up to four. One extra bedroom and a pull out couch. I'm 10 min from Procacci.

But at the very least anyone going to these places, please let me know when you are going to be there, if I can I will make a visit at the same time. It would be cool to meet more people from this site.

I think Ajmassa already stated some of this, but of the three place mentioned above.

Procacci Bros will be the easiest to get to. It's right off 95 and 76 tucked in an industrial park behind the stadiums. If an Eagles game or Phillies game is going there can be a lot of traffic. But it's still easy to get in an out. Draw back here is they are first come first serve, but as long as you are there the first two weeks of grapes arriving you should be fine getting anything you want. Also Procacci Bros, has a good vibe, big barrel of last years zin/merlot blend to taste, free Italian meats, cheeses and bread to go along with it. Can hang and chill as long as you like. A few table and chairs. Wine making equipment. Lenny will open a bottle brought in by customers sometimes.

Gino Pinto's is in Hammonton New Jersey, middle of the Atlantic City Expressway then 15 minutes off the expressway. Good service and product but nothing to sample. Wine making equipment showroom. Italian food imports to purchase. Very good stuff.

Depending on were you are coming from Keystone could be the hardest to get to. Western PA and North Jersey travelers it' could be the better choice. It's located off the PA Turnpike then Route 309. I never enjoy going to anything off 309. Weekdays the PA turnpike is not fun during commuting hours. I've never been there, but hear nothing but good things. They have beer stuff too.

Good luck all.

Very nice offer Paul. More then likely I'll be staying down my way. Will see you in a couple week or so. The barrels arrived in Norfolk yesterday. Still have 2 25 and 30 liter left if anyone wants one

It’s even shorter for me. Under 2 hours. Guessing this is where we land in the fall.

Anyone interested in picking up grapes in either Harford county Md or Jessup? I preorder high quality grapes and get them delivered. I'd be willing to piggy back orders to help put.

Pintos many options are blessing and a curse! I’m eying up the Cab Sav clone 169 from L.M.P. Vineyards, Suisun Valley. Read many positive experiences with em.
But also available are Wash. State Rattlesnake Hill, Lanza vineyards and Paso Robles cabs all similarly priced.
Any insight from previous vintages please don’t hesitate. Basically I’m blindly shooting darts. Clone 169 is at least unique and I can find plenty of info from winemakers online. Lanza and Paso Robles cabs no clue.
But maybe acid level would be much more ideal in Wash St grapes. More north/later harvest. But given the similar prices maybe this is not a safe assumption.
I plan to look into these more. Mainly the Lanza 169 vs Wash Rattlesnake.

Pintos many options are blessing and a curse! I’m eying up the Cab Sav clone 169 from L.M.P. Vineyards, Suisun Valley. Read many positive experiences with em.
But also available are Wash. State Rattlesnake Hill, Lanza vineyards and Paso Robles cabs all similarly priced.
Any insight from previous vintages please don’t hesitate. Basically I’m blindly shooting darts. Clone 169 is at least unique and I can find plenty of info from winemakers online. Lanza and Paso Robles cabs no clue.
But maybe acid level would be much more ideal in Wash St grapes. More north/later harvest. But given the similar prices maybe this is not a safe assumption.

I’ve got 60 bottles of the Clone 169 Cab, and another 30 of it blended with Koch Cab. All will be two years old this fall, are quite good now, and promising better times ahead.

Interested in all those myself. Going to get the premium zin from Procacci for the 3rd year in a row, start to build a vertical. Then I'm thinking of getting two other batches from Gino's. I like all the sexy grape choices you list, might choose one or two of those. But thinking and leaning more towards an Alicante batch and a Sangiovese batch.

I’ve got 60 bottles of the Clone 169 Cab, and another 30 of it blended with Koch Cab. All will be two years old this fall, are quite good now, and promising better times ahead.

I hope to be there someday with aging, the best I have done so far is I got 10 gallons of last years red zin to one year in bulk. Only have 6 bottles of my 2016 left. But it's starting to get where I have so much in glass aging from my procrastination and production amount is out pacing my early consumption tendencies.

I hope to be there someday with aging, the best I have done so far is I got 10 gallons of last years red zin to one year in bulk. Only have 6 bottles of my 2016 left. But it's starting to get where I have so much in glass aging from my procrastination and production amount is out pacing my early consumption tendencies.

Just keep making wine, it'll catch up with you for sure. When you start getting some of your wines from grapes over the 2 and 3 year humps and older, you'll be kicking yourself in the head for drinking them early, but it's just part of the gig.....

Just keep making wine, it'll catch up with you for sure. When you start getting some of your wines from grapes over the 2 and 3 year humps and older, you'll be kicking yourself in the head for drinking them early, but it's just part of the gig.....

I truly don't think Paul is going to have a problem letting his wine age at the rate he is going.

You'll get there, just keep makin' it like @Johnd said. I've got only four batches that are less than a year old in the carboy. The other eight or so are from 14 to 28 months. Procrastination works wonders. If you are too lazy to rack every three months, make sure you add some Kmeta to buy you another three months of procrastination. I usually only do that when my sediment after three months is only the light wispy stuff.

OK, please give us some details.
Sorry for the delay
I have access to the same grapes, juices and more that Harford had. Mostly Lanza but Napa etc too. I am located in Harford county. I have been getting several tons delivered to me for 10+ yrs. I am willing to explore the possibility of expanding my order to accommodate your needs. Tell me what you're looking for and how much. Sure the prices will be the same or close to what Harford was charging. I need to determine how much interest and how many tons of grapes to see if I need to get some temporary space to handle delivery. How did you all receive your grapes? Box trucks?, pick ups? Palletized or separate? Did you have them crush for you? I'm not sure if I want to get into that but I could. Let me know If I'm gonna help I gotta get moving on logistics, space, and orders. Thx

Sorry for the delay
I have access to the same grapes, juices and more that Harford had. Mostly Lanza but Napa etc too. I am located in Harford county. I have been getting several tons delivered to me for 10+ yrs. I am willing to explore the possibility of expanding my order to accommodate your needs. Tell me what you're looking for and how much. Sure the prices will be the same or close to what Harford was charging. I need to determine how much interest and how many tons of grapes to see if I need to get some temporary space to handle delivery. How did you all receive your grapes? Box trucks?, pick ups? Palletized or separate? Did you have them crush for you? I'm not sure if I want to get into that but I could. Let me know If I'm gonna help I gotta get moving on logistics, space, and orders. Thx
Also let me know if Jessup md is a better location. I might be able to distribute from there.

Back