No More Grapes/Juice from Harford

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keystone homebrew offers the crush/destem service. Pretty cheap too. I think it was $1 per lug. And $.05 per lb if c/d grapes purchased from elsewhere.

I feel your guys pain. I’m half tempted to invest in a refrigerated truck and start a business redistributing grapes right out of the back!
In the meantime I’m always willing to go in on a bulk purchase. Keystone sells some by 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton. My fall plan is to purchase about 500lbs of the best Cabernet grapes I’m able to find. If anyone wants to piggyback just give me a holler.

Depending upon logistics, I may be interested.

I know a lot of you guys have a routine with getting a few different varietals totaling a few hundred
Lbs. BUT— if enough people are interested and can agree on the same varietals from the same vineyard- maybe we could actually put our heads together and secure a high quality bulk purchase that would otherwise not be available to the smaller volume home winemaker. If that were to happen- then there could be centralized location to get our grapes. (Or we crush together and take home must like @sour_grapes just did)
Collingswood grapes in Cleveland offer some higher quality fruit. Some varietals are only available in 500lb minimums. But really need a big bulk purchase to warrant a delivery. If an order doesn’t fill a truck, then it’s also possible to tag along within another delivery locally. Some wineries in the area order from them and a deal could Most certainly be reached. I spoke with them before about this. Their highest quality most expensive grapes are from Sonoma Alexander valley, lake county (next to Napa’s) red hills, and wash st. Red mountain — all near $2.25 per lb. And their cheapest grapes are Lodi at about $1.20 per lb. I was also told that with a big bulk purchase all prices can further negotiated. Order in by mid August was fine he said too. Just something to think about. Might be cool. View attachment 49658

Though I understand better fruit makes better wine I'm not sure my wine making abilities would warrant paying $2.25/lb. Come hell or high water I will be making a Tannat this fall. If anyone would be interested in this varietal.

Though I understand better fruit makes better wine I'm not sure my wine making abilities would warrant paying $2.25/lb. Come hell or high water I will be making a Tannat this fall. If anyone would be interested in this varietal.

That $2.25/lb is for grapes that neither one of us are currently buying. Compare that to Harford's pricing of the Sonoma/Chalk Hill Cab at $102/lug.

I may have to drive around and do some local sampling. And as you know, I'm always interested in some Viognier or Petite Manseng.

Below is an ad from the current issue of Winemaker Mag, if you Harford users can assemble an order of reasonable size, you could have your very own truck deliver grapes to one central location that’s convenient. Probably save yourselves some bucks as well. I used grapes from Colavita (Cab, Merlot, Petite Sirah) in 17 and am super pleased so far, and will again this year, @ibglowin won some awards with them if I recall. Just another option to consider.
CC89E2B9-4BB1-4416-89FB-9665DFCFE3D7.jpeg

Keystone homebrew offers the crush/destem service. Pretty cheap too. I think it was $1 per lug. And $.05 per lb if c/d grapes purchased from elsewhere.

I feel your guys pain. I’m half tempted to invest in a refrigerated truck and start a business redistributing grapes right out of the back!
In the meantime I’m always willing to go in on a bulk purchase. Keystone sells some by 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton. My fall plan is to purchase about 500lbs of the best Cabernet grapes I’m able to find. If anyone wants to piggyback just give me a holler.

Here you go AJ sounds like something I would consider but don't see how the numbers could work.
https://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/search-inventory.html

Fred: There is an S&S Grapes near Columbia, MD. I know someone that has been buying from them for years and loves them. I've called a few times and emailed in the past, but have never received a response. Guess they don't need the business.

Their website is down and the pic of the address shows what appears to be an abandoned building.

Was going to post this in "What Are You doing Today" but thought this might be more appropriate. I'm going to an AWS meeting today about Cab Franc. The speaker was the winemaker from the winery I built and is now a private winemaking consultant. I'm going to pick his brain about local vineyards that sell grapes. Anyone have any other questions they might want me to ask?

Was going to post this in "What Are You doing Today" but thought this might be more appropriate. I'm going to an AWS meeting today about Cab Franc. The speaker was the winemaker from the winery I built and is now a private winemaking consultant. I'm going to pick his brain about local vineyards that sell grapes. Anyone have any other questions they might want me to ask?

We were out with some folks on Friday night and I was speaking with a few about wine and winemaking - the Chrysalis tasting room came up. I said "I know the guy that built that place!!"

That $2.25/lb is for grapes that neither one of us are currently buying. Compare that to Harford's pricing of the Sonoma/Chalk Hill Cab at $102/lug.

I may have to drive around and do some local sampling. And as you know, I'm always interested in some Viognier or Petite Manseng.

Go to Effingham Manor in Nokesville and see if they are tasting their 2014 Tannat. The 2016 is good as well but the 2014 is one of the best wine I've ever tasted. Chrysalis also has a pretty good 2014. Must have been a good year for it.

Their website is down and the pic of the address shows what appears to be an abandoned building.

Contacted my friend about them this morning. He said he's still using them and loves them. I guess they just aren't interested in new business.

Below is an ad from the current issue of Winemaker Mag, if you Harford users can assemble an order of reasonable size, you could have your very own truck deliver grapes to one central location that’s convenient. Probably save yourselves some bucks as well. I used grapes from Colavita (Cab, Merlot, Petite Sirah) in 17 and am super pleased so far, and will again this year, @ibglowin won some awards with them if I recall. Just another option to consider.
View attachment 49683

Thanks John. I will definitely investigate this further. The other joint I mentioned, Collingswood grape co., were very honest on the phone. It’s a father and son ran business. His trucks hold 4-5 tons. To fill a truck and warrant our own delivery seems unlikely.
Another option is to steal some truck space on another delivery. The closest winery he delivers to is in Hersey PA. But our grape selections would also have to be ready at the same time. And he told me this winery usually orders the Lodi grapes. Which go for ~$1.20 per lb. And when buying bulk the price and delivery fees are always negotiable.
I’ll be on the horn looking into any bulk options. Because I would love to be able to get some higher quality grapes at a great price - who wouldn’t? @Boatboy24 I will post any more findings I come across.

My experience with Collinwood Grape...
I have heard both good and bad about this Collinwood guy. I purchased some Amador county zin from a LHBS that purchases from him for $40 per lug (crushed and de-stemmed). The guy told me that the quality was meh. The wine that resulted was not too bad so I asked Collinwood about his Amador zin and he raved about the quality and said Amador is more expensive than that of other AVA's. I dropped the subject because I thought I was being sold.
I did purchase some Chilean Malbec from him that was very good and made a great wine. Last fall I wanted some syrah and a couple of buckets of Pinot Griggio. When I talked to him he said he could deliver it with another order. Weeks passed and I continued to call him, and I even offered to drive from Chicago to Cleveland. He kept assuring me it was coming. Finally in November he told me he had no syrah left and all he had was some Lodi Tempranillo. The quality was terrible. By this time all the other guys in my area were out, so I was stuck. I have 40 gallons of wine that may end up down the drain, only time will tell. A lot of work to purchase a quarter ton of grapes, It seems he does not value my business.
This spring I wanted some Chilean Cab and Syrah. I told him I would pick it up in Cleveland. I called weekly and his response was he would call me when they are ready to pick-up. eventually I stopped calling and told him I would wait for his call. Here it is almost the middle of July and I still have not received a call. (I wonder if he'll call, LOL). Another LHBS told me his quality is mostly good but he is very unreliable.
Good luck in dealing with this guy.

@gitmo234 @Ajmassa5983 @Boatboy24 @ceeaton @mainshipfred @jgmann67

They do:
"We offer grape crushing as long as we have grapes in stock ($2 per box for Keystone grapes, $0.15 per pound of grapes sourced elsewhere). Please plan to arrive AT LEAST 1 HOUR PRIOR TO CLOSING TIME if you would like your grapes crushed."
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/central-valley-grapes-juice/
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/wine/fresh-grapes-and-juice/premium-grapes-juice.html

The Montgomeryville PA location is 2.5 hours from me, so that's viable. They have fresh grapes/juice from Washington, California, and Italy, based on their website.

I haven't ordered from them yet but will try them for fall grapes and juice.

Has anyone else ordered fresh grapes from Keystone??

View attachment 49683
@Johnd I tried their website and it's under construction, but I'll keep them in mind....

Just did a little Googling and Procacci is 2hrs 40 min from my place. Gino Pinto's is 3hrs 14 minutes. An hour+ more than Harford each way, but may be workable - especially if their hours are good.

@Johnd I tried their website and it's under construction, but I'll keep them in mind....

Yes, saw the same thing after posting about it, sorry for the diversion. They must be updating their stuff, I've been on their site plenty times before, as recent as a few weeks ago. Maybe when they come back up they'll have all of their offerings for grapes loaded in and ready to rumble.................

@gitmo234 @Ajmassa5983 @Boatboy24 @ceeaton @mainshipfred @jgmann67

They do:
"We offer grape crushing as long as we have grapes in stock ($2 per box for Keystone grapes, $0.15 per pound of grapes sourced elsewhere). Please plan to arrive AT LEAST 1 HOUR PRIOR TO CLOSING TIME if you would like your grapes crushed."
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/central-valley-grapes-juice/
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/wine/fresh-grapes-and-juice/premium-grapes-juice.html

The Montgomeryville PA location is 2.5 hours from me, so that's viable. They have fresh grapes/juice from Washington, California, and Italy, based on their website.

I haven't ordered from them yet but will try them for fall grapes and juice.

Has anyone else ordered fresh grapes from Keystone??
Keystone is 2 hrs 9 min from me according to google maps. I also have some friends who moved close to there in the last couple of years. That is my most likely destination if I order grapes this Fall. May go local if I can get another 100+ lbs of Dornfelder.

Latest posts

Back