Newbie from British Columbia, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJPelletier

Reaction score
Hello everyone... just introducing myself here, my name is Logan. I am completely new to wine making, and really don't know why I never got into it before.

Anyways, I am here now, and happy to be part of your community here. Thanks to everyone for your help. :b

Welcome

Welcome Logan,

This is a good place to start as a new wine maker. What are your plans... Kits, wine from grapes, fruit wines?

Cheers,

Paul

Welcome let us know what you start with a kit or fresh fruit so we can help you along the way

A few of you already replied to my thread "How bad did I screw it up?" in the beginners wine making forum. Those of you who did, know that my first attempt was using Welch's white grape concentrate, and that nothing really seems to be happening.

It seems the problem may be lack of concentrate, as I only added 4 cans in a 5Gal batch (along with just under 3kg sugar including 2kg dextrose, less than 1kg of granulated sugar).

I added 1/2 tsp of potassium bisulphite to the mix as well, and did not wait the 24 hrs as I later read I should have. Someone also mentioned that I should not have added it at all because the Welch's concentrate has enough sulfites already.

Yes Logan, sounds like you need a lot more concentrate and sugar! I would definitely invest in a hydrometer so that you can see how much sugar you will need to add! I wouldn't add straight sugar, I would invert it. (I didn't read the other thread yet, so I'm not sure if all this had been gotten into yet).

But welcome to the forum! I've been doing this for about a year and still consider myself a newbie compared to everyone else here! I've gotten some great advice here.

Welcome Logan, not to worry we have all made mistakes. Do alot of reading here and if you have questions just ask. I will tell you to ask before you do because you will save a lot of money and time.

By the way welcome to a great forum! Happy to have you here..

Welcome Logan. There are a number of good wine clubs on the lower mainland. They can give you lots of help and advise as well. Once you get a few wines under your belt there are the yearly competitions to enter - have to be part of BCAWA!

Have fun!

Back